Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
James

Default DVD Movie backups

Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> For archive purposes is there a simple way for me to make a
> bit-for-bit copy retail DVDs I've purchased?

Some time back, I was almost ready to do something
big on my 1000+ dvd collection. I did a lot of
research. I got stuck on the raid servers
and then abandoned the project. I'm building a
new office and stuck in brick and mortar at
this time.....

STROLLER has tried everything and knows what works.
He has some very cool scripts (I bet he'd share,
if you ask him) I'd strike up a conversation with
Stroller. When I get back to it, I was going to
also put the great information into a wiki for
many others to use....as I think there are many Gentoo'rs
that have similar needs and desires.

Stroller knows his stuff on video, because I think
he has tried every piece of software and reproduction
scheme you can imagine... (um, I mean related to video).
;-)

hth,
James

Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying media-tv/xbmc instead - I believe it handles menus, but haven't got far enough to test that

It does, I've been using it on my xbox for years.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 16 December 2011, at 17:25, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
>> about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
>> investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
>> version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
>> but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
>> which my wife and kid enjoy.
>
> I've been down this path fairly extensively.
>
> Use media-video/dvdbackup and mkisofs (from app-cdr/cdrtools) to create .iso images of your DVDs.
>
> Store these on a Samba share, then use something like the PlayOn HD Mini or the Western Digital TV Live! to watch them on your big screen TV.
>
> These players allow you to treat .iso files on the network just as if they were actual DVDs and give you full access to the menus and extra features.
>
> I'm in the process of trying media-tv/xbmc instead - I believe it handles menus, but haven't got far enough to test that (I just got video sorted on my HTPC, now working on sound).
>
> dvdbackup will fail on a small number of DVDs which have been "copy-protected" by making them non-compliant with the DVD specification (IMO this is fixable in dvdbackup's code), but I'm getting at least a 95% success rate.
>
> I have found writing dual-layer DVDs practically impossible. The failure rate is way too high - even disks which burned "successfully" are unreadable on another PC / player.
>
> Stroller.

Interesting info. Thanks.

My new TV actually has a number of USB ports and I've managed to mount
a USB disk with mp4 files created by Handbrake and play them just
fine. I hadn't considered trying an iso file though. I'll give that a
shot this weekend and see if it sees them. Unfortunately *.iso isn't
on their recognized formats list, but it's worth a try. The nice thing
about the TV is that it has lots of Open Source software built in and
puts of nice folders showing the directories I've created and all the
files in each directory. I'm currently experimenting with how much I
can tolerate in terms of compressing the DVD info.

I'll certainly look into dvdbackup. I tried to emerge it but I've
gotten some sort of package block going on that portage isn't happy
about.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> dvdbackup can recreate the ISO images, IIRC.

No, dvdbackup just creates a readable mirror copy from the directory tree on
the DVD. You need to use mkisofs -dvd-video to create a new ISO image that can
be written to DVD.

> If you run a simple 'dd' on a DVD with encrypted portions, you'll get
> I/O errors when it encounters the encrypted pieces. IIRC, some of the

This is what I mentioned on the cdrecord mailing list already...

> IIRC, dvdbackup makes use of libdvdcss to decrypt the encrypted
> portions[1], and writes a decrypted version of the data. *this* is why
> you can't make a bit-for-bit copy; the output data would be decrypted.

dvdbackup decrypts the sectors that are part of the VOB files.

> There are other, later obstacles, too; once CSS was broken, some
> content publishers (Bandai USA, for example) would fudge the ISO spec
> and the DVD nav specs in ways that didn't break *most* hardware DVD
> players, but did tend to break players which strictly adhered to the
> standards, such as ffmpeg, vlc and mplayer. It also broke dvdbackup

This is interestingas some mkisofs users report that there are DVDs that look
as if there is a need to introduce negative padding between some files.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-12-16, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> No; you'll have to decrypt, or do without the encrypted bits.
> >>
> >> dvdbackup is probably the closest to what you want.
> >
> > Interesting. So even something that just copies blocks of data, like
> > dd, can't be used for that purpose?
>
> Correct. If you use dd to copy an encrypted disk, the result will be
> missing something like 90% of the data.

dd will abort on the first unreadable sector.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> I have found writing dual-layer DVDs practically impossible. The failure rate is way too high - even disks which burned "successfully" are unreadable on another PC / player.

Dual layer DVDs will only work, if the layer break is at the right place.

I so far have not been able to get the layer break value from the IFO file.

You need to use cdrecord -atip to get the layer break value and then use
cdrecord layerbreak=# and a DVD+R/DL media.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 AM
David Haller

Hello,

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>This is interestingas some mkisofs users report that there are DVDs that look
>as if there is a need to introduce negative padding between some files.

There's DVDs that look (to e.g. lsdvd) as if there were ~60 Tracks of
various sizes used, with a playing time of, say, 40 hours overall,
breaking the Specs willfully. Of course, only e.g. 4 Tracks are the
"real" tracks. Figuring out which tracks those are (e.g. playing the
disc with xine, mplayer or vlc) and then extracting only those tracks
with e.g. dvdbackup is the only possibility. Images etc. will be
defective. Don't ask me how you create such interleaved tracks
(e.g. tracks 20-35 would be various parts of a series episode but only
one, say 27, would be the full track). I'd guess "negative padding" (at
least in the nav-structures) might play a role there.

Just this week I've had a DVD, where lsdvd just barfed. The image with
k3b was broken. dvdbackup for single tracks worked.

That's one reason I like to rent a disc before I buy a whole series.
Actually, there's only one Movie-set that has broken (one or two out
of 5) discs, most I own are standard conforming and some seem to not
even bother with css.

"Digital files cannot be made uncopyable, any more than water can be made
not wet." --Bruce Schneier on `copy protection' schemes

And I want to make backups of the discs I own. The less hoops I'm
forced to jump through (with a rented disc), the more likely I am to
buy something. There's a certain series (c.f. above) I quite like, but
the DVDs are just plain broken. Won't buy. Period.

-dnh, got to look up the publisher on above mentioned disc where lsdvd
barfed ... ah: Cnenzbhag. I hadn't have them on my "publishes
un-DVDs" list yet. Well, anyway, some publishers seem to start not
to produce un-DVDs lately. Just keep sending rented disc after
disc back as "broken" and asking for replacement ...

--
>> Take two Gods.
>Diagnostic. n. Someone who doubts the existence of two Gods.
Makes sense. Every regular user of diagnostics that I know of only
believes in Murphy. -- >>D. Holdsworth, >C. Suslowicz and Lionel

Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 AM
David Haller

Hello,

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Stroller wrote:
>On 16 December 2011, at 17:25, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
>> about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
>> investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
>> version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
>> but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
>> which my wife and kid enjoy.
>
>I've been down this path fairly extensively.

So have I. Um, if my index is right, about 1k-ish

>Use media-video/dvdbackup and mkisofs (from app-cdr/cdrtools) to
>create .iso images of your DVDs.
>
>Store these on a Samba share, then use something like the PlayOn HD
>Mini or the Western Digital TV Live! to watch them on your big screen
>TV.
>
>These players allow you to treat .iso files on the network just as if
>they were actual DVDs and give you full access to the menus and extra
>features.

At least mplayer, vlc and xine will also happily play a directory, be
it a mounted DVD, a mounted image or just a rip as made by dvdbackup
and others (e.g. lxdvdrip).

>dvdbackup will fail on a small number of DVDs which have been
>"copy-protected" by making them non-compliant with the DVD
>specification (IMO this is fixable in dvdbackup's code), but I'm
>getting at least a 95% success rate.

See my other mail(s), finding the correct tracks with above players
and then ripping only those tracks with 'dvdbackup -t TRACKNO ...'
should get you to 99.5% or so. The rest is usually just plain broken.
So far, I've always got a result out of non-physically-defective disc
(I don't mind throwing away the menus though).

I even had the situation that trying to only play one such disc (with
xine IIRC) made my box hang up. Needed a hard reset. Weirdly enough, I
could still rip the tracks after the reboot with dvdbackup or so and
the result was ok ... Probably the (libata) IDE driver got thoroughly
screwed on that first try by whatever combination of commands and
drive reactions...

>I have found writing dual-layer DVDs practically impossible. The
>failure rate is way too high - even disks which burned "successfully"
>are unreadable on another PC / player.

I've, so far, only written data-DVD-DL, no problems with those

BTW: do you reencode stuff? I use mencoder with:

-x264encopts crf=22:trellis=1:qcomp=0.8:weight_b:8x8dct:subq=6: nr=750

the resulting files are usually surprisingly small and still have a
very good quality (I can't see a difference to the original with both
unscaled on the screen (PAL-DVD, not HD . I have yet to try that one
on some difficuly cases though (dark scenes in a movie with fog,
panning, and movement and a quite noisy-in-the-dark series
(SG-1/S1). Might have to break out hqdn3d again for the latter.

-dnh

--
Rincewind shut his eyes. Inside his mind he could feel the Spell scuttling
off to hide behind his conscience, and muttering to itself.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 16 December 2011 19:15:12 Stroller wrote:

> On 16 December 2011, at 17:25, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more

> > about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K

> > investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped

> > version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,

> > but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features

> > which my wife and kid enjoy.

> I've been down this path fairly extensively.

*

Do you know of any way to read a DVD that was created on a Mac of some sort?

*

--

Rgds

Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23

*

Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 PM
walt

On 12/17/2011 03:26 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:

Do you know of any way to read a DVD that was created on a Mac of some sort?

I'm fuzzy on the details, but Apple has/had its own filesystems named HFS
and HFSplus. I'm guessing that data disks burned with a Mac will use HFS,
but I don't know about movie/audio disks. You can enable HFS support in
kernel menuconfig.