Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Any video optimization tips?

I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video. It's
a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530, with 2 gigs of ram, assembled and shipped
August 2007. It has an Intel dual core (*NOT* a "Core Duo") cpu like so
(from /proc/cpuinfo).

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1595.660
cache size : 1024 KB

The original Intel onboard GPU wasn't really up to the task. I bought
an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card, set it up, and it handles 1280x720p
video OK, from my HDHomerun TV tuner box. 1920x1080i shows the
occasional hint of stuttering. I followed the instructions at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml including the Nouveau
driver. I'm running ICEWM to minimize system overhead. Are there any
other tips and tricks for getting better video performance out of this
admittedly old system? glxgears shows 382 fps when the system is idle.

It works without an xorg.conf. This also happens to my mdev test
machine (no udev). I'm attaching the Xorg log file for more detail.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 12/16/2011 12:11:34 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video.
> It's
> a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530, with 2 gigs of ram, assembled and
> shipped
> August 2007. It has an Intel dual core (*NOT* a "Core Duo") cpu like
> so
> (from /proc/cpuinfo).
>
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 15
> model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 1595.660
> cache size : 1024 KB
>
> The original Intel onboard GPU wasn't really up to the task. I
> bought
> an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card, set it up, and it handles
> 1280x720p
> video OK, from my HDHomerun TV tuner box. 1920x1080i shows the
> occasional hint of stuttering. I followed the instructions at
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml including the Nouveau
> driver. I'm running ICEWM to minimize system overhead. Are there
> any
> other tips and tricks for getting better video performance out of
> this
> admittedly old system? glxgears shows 382 fps when the system is
> idle.
>
> It works without an xorg.conf. This also happens to my mdev test
> machine (no udev). I'm attaching the Xorg log file for more detail.

You could try to install a recent kernel (3.1.5 for me) and enable
the CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y (it's a staging driver, just search for it
by entering / in the make menuconfig environment).

Then re-emerge the x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau driver.

I hope this helps a bit,

Helmut.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 PM
James

Helmut Jarausch <jarausch <at> igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> > I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video.

> You could try to install a recent kernel (3.1.5 for me) and enable
> the CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y (it's a staging driver, just search for it
> by entering / in the make menuconfig environment).

Additionally, when I use older machines, sometimes minimization
of the compile flags helps on some apps and not on others. You
have to experiment. It usually works for machines that are
design for a single special purpose, not workstations or every
server service you can compile for. I never optimized one
for just streaming video, so I cannot give you specifics.

Here is one I use for a firewall. Note the CFLAGS (Os) setting
for small:

CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
USE="-* -nls mmx hardened ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl pcre
python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog"

Find the minimal flags and the optimum CFLAGS settings for
your needs. Refine by testing. USE a fast hard drive.....
Avoid apps that soak up ram. Some video apps are ram_hogs...

I'd be curious to learn what you finally figure out.

hth,
James

Old 12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> *I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video. *It's
> a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530, with 2 gigs of ram, assembled and shipped
> August 2007. *It has an Intel dual core (*NOT* a "Core Duo") cpu like so
> (from /proc/cpuinfo).
>
> vendor_id * * * : GenuineIntel
> cpu family * * *: 6
> model * * * * * : 15
> model name * * *: Genuine Intel(R) CPU * * * * * *2140 *@ 1.60GHz
> stepping * * * *: 2
> cpu MHz * * * * : 1595.660
> cache size * * *: 1024 KB
>
> *The original Intel onboard GPU wasn't really up to the task. *I bought
> an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card, set it up, and it handles 1280x720p
> video OK, from my HDHomerun TV tuner box. *1920x1080i shows the
> occasional hint of stuttering. *I followed the instructions at
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml including the Nouveau
> driver. *I'm running ICEWM to minimize system overhead. *Are there any
> other tips and tricks for getting better video performance out of this
> admittedly old system? *glxgears shows 382 fps when the system is idle.
>
> *It works without an xorg.conf. *This also happens to my mdev test
> machine (no udev). *I'm attaching the Xorg log file for more detail.

Use any nVidia card capable of full, in-hardware decoding of full
h.264 AVC. I've got two GeForce 210s which I purchased because A) they
were $50/pc two years ago, and B) they did exactly this.

Then enable vdpau. (But that means running the proprietary drivers,
disabling KMS, disabling NOVOU, etc)

Then use any media player with support for vdpau. I know mplayer will
do it. I'm unsure about ffmpeg, flash, etc.

With an (old) $50 card, you can get an old Core 2 desktop system to
serve as an HTPC.

--
:wq