Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Waves Syslinux Graphics

Hi folks,

I whipped up a couple versions of the syslinux artwork for the waves
theme. (You see this when you first stick the install disc in your
system to install Fedora)

I'm not sure which version is better. Let me know what you think. I
tried adding sulphur to them but it didn't really come out right.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves/Round3Final#head-c4511e93b4672aa8e7805b7ddc3789269e23301b

~m

Old 03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure which version is better. Let me know what you think. I
> tried adding sulphur to them but it didn't really come out right.

>From the peanut gallery over here, I like version 2 better. It will
give more contrast to the top of the screen where folks are trying to
read what syslinux is presenting to them.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Nicu Buculei

Jon Stanley wrote:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

I'm not sure which version is better. Let me know what you think. I
tried adding sulphur to them but it didn't really come out right.

From the peanut gallery over here, I like version 2 better. It will

give more contrast to the top of the screen where folks are trying to
read what syslinux is presenting to them.

And I like better version 1. for consistency (all the other screens have
reflection in the water, not on an additional plane) and 2. for physical
reasons (we have waves on a liquid surface and a plane and is not
realistic at all - the water is like a wall).

However, I agree the second look more contrasting and we had that bottom
reflection plane in F8 too.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Frank Murphy

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:03 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi folks,
I'm not sure which version is better. Let me know what you think. I
> tried adding sulphur to them but it didn't really come out right.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves/Round3Final#head-c4511e93b4672aa8e7805b7ddc3789269e23301b

Variation 1:
looks the nicer, the horizon blend works, reflection flip works,

Indexed Color Version:
As above, but looks very pixelated on the color borders, and flipped
"fedora", on my LG L194WT (2007) the Dell E178WFP, set slightly darker
contrast shows ok (Dual monitor setup 2880x900).

Variation 2:

The horizon lets it down, as water level seems deadflat.
Other wise pixel comments as above.

Frank

Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hey Jon!

Jon Stanley wrote:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

I'm not sure which version is better. Let me know what you think. I
tried adding sulphur to them but it didn't really come out right.

From the peanut gallery over here, I like version 2 better. It will

give more contrast to the top of the screen where folks are trying to
read what syslinux is presenting to them.

Great point. I usually superimpose the syslinux text on top of the image
to make sure there is enough contrast and I forgot to do that this time.

I got around to doing this, and I uploaded both 'previews' with the
syslinux text to the wiki. It looks like the text will be readable with
either design:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves/Round3Final#head-82210a27f6d90be44edf75f2caefb9853a8ad125

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves/Round3Final#head-82210a27f6d90be44edf75f2caefb9853a8ad125-2

~m

Old 03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Máirín Duffy

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Jon Stanley wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Máirín Duffy
<duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

I'm not sure which version is better. Let me know what you think. I
tried adding sulphur to them but it didn't really come out right.

From the peanut gallery over here, I like version 2 better. It will

give more contrast to the top of the screen where folks are trying to
read what syslinux is presenting to them.

And I like better version 1. for consistency (all the other screens have
reflection in the water, not on an additional plane) and 2. for physical
reasons (we have waves on a liquid surface and a plane and is not
realistic at all - the water is like a wall).

However, I agree the second look more contrasting and we had that bottom
reflection plane in F8 too.

Yeh that's a really good point. I like the contrast of #2 but it does
look pretty unnatural. I think #1 is a more consistent choice with the
rest of the theme.

What I'm gonig to do is fade out the waves to dark in #1 as I did in #2.
I think that would make #1 look a little better. Then I think maybe
would should go with #1.

~m

Old 03-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Máirín Duffy

Frank Murphy wrote:

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:03 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

Hi folks,
I'm not sure which version is better. Let me know what you think. I

tried adding sulphur to them but it didn't really come out right.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves/Round3Final#head-c4511e93b4672aa8e7805b7ddc3789269e23301b

Variation 1:
looks the nicer, the horizon blend works, reflection flip works,

Indexed Color Version:
As above, but looks very pixelated on the color borders, and flipped
"fedora", on my LG L194WT (2007) the Dell E178WFP, set slightly darker
contrast shows ok (Dual monitor setup 2880x900).

Yeh, the color indexing really limits how much we can reduce the
pixelation.

Variation 2:

The horizon lets it down, as water level seems deadflat.
Other wise pixel comments as above.

I agree, let's go with #1.

~m

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Máirín Duffy

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Nicu Buculei wrote:
And I like better version 1. for consistency (all the other screens
have reflection in the water, not on an additional plane) and 2. for
physical reasons (we have waves on a liquid surface and a plane and is
not realistic at all - the water is like a wall).

However, I agree the second look more contrasting and we had that
bottom reflection plane in F8 too.

Yeh that's a really good point. I like the contrast of #2 but it does
look pretty unnatural. I think #1 is a more consistent choice with the
rest of the theme.

What I'm gonig to do is fade out the waves to dark in #1 as I did in #2.
I think that would make #1 look a little better. Then I think maybe
would should go with #1.

Okay, as promised, here it is, i think it turned out pretty good:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves/Round3Final#head-8f5bde625183aa98dbf9a180516a4fc4412df3e5

~m