Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 PM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

Default rsync errors

Hi

I am running the command

/usr/bin/rsync -avO /var/lib/mysql sms@hostaa:/var/lib/ >
/tmp/rsync-${TIMESTAMP}.log 2>&1

I am getting the below error in the log file

mysql/
rsync: failed to set permissions on "/var/lib/mysql": Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile0", continuing:
Permission denied (13)
mysql/ib_logfile0
rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile1", continuing:
Permission denied (13)
mysql/ib_logfile1
rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/ibdata1", continuing: Permission
denied (13)
mysql/ibdata1
rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/master.info", continuing:
Permission denied (13)
mysql/master.info
rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/SCHEDULER
/ScheduleTasks.MYD", continuing: Permission denied (13)

Any thing I am missing

I did setfacl -R -dm u:sms:rwx /var/lib/mysql on hostaa
setfacl -R -dm u:mysql:rwx /var/lib/mysql on hostaa
chmod -R g-x,g+X /var/lib/mysql on hostaa

but no luck

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 03-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running the command
>
> /usr/bin/rsync -avO /var/lib/mysql sms@hostaa:/var/lib/ >
> /tmp/rsync-${TIMESTAMP}.log 2>&1
>
> I am getting the below error in the log file
>
> mysql/
> rsync: failed to set permissions on "/var/lib/mysql": Operation not
> permitted (1)
> rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile0", continuing:
> Permission denied (13)
> mysql/ib_logfile0
> rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile1", continuing:
> Permission denied (13)
> mysql/ib_logfile1
> rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/ibdata1", continuing:
> Permission denied (13)
> mysql/ibdata1
> rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/master.info", continuing:
> Permission denied (13)
> mysql/master.info
> rsync: failed to open "/var/lib/mysql/SCHEDULER
> /ScheduleTasks.MYD", continuing: Permission denied (13)
>
> Any thing I am missing
>
> I did setfacl -R -dm u:sms:rwx /var/lib/mysql on hostaa
> setfacl -R -dm u:mysql:rwx /var/lib/mysql on hostaa
> chmod -R g-x,g+X /var/lib/mysql on hostaa

Please supply more info:

1. The permissions on the source and destination directories
2. The ACL's for those directories
3. Does your system have ACLs compiled in, and are they enabled?
4. Which user is rsync running as?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Alan McKinnon

<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 March 2008, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am running the command
> > >
> > > /usr/bin/rsync -avO /var/lib/mysql sms@hostaa:/var/lib/ >
> > > /tmp/rsync-${TIMESTAMP}.log 2>&1

rsync should work with that setup, I don't know why you are getting
errors. I seriously recommend you take a close look at your permissions
for /var/lib/mysql though - you have it world-writeable - a big no-no

ACLs are working - the + at the end of the permissions in 'ls -l' proves
that.

I would be checking the individual files inside /var/lib/mysql/ and the
directory /var/lib itself.

Also, I don't know what (1) and (13) in the error logs means. It looks
like rsync result codes, but those numbers for rsync make no sense at
all in this context. Hopefully someone else reading this knows.

Finally, SELinux can do odd things like this, but it's errors are easy
to spot for what they are. Do you know what they look like, and do you
have SELinux enabled?