Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Please ignore above email; I hit send by mistake

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 01:12:10AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote

Please ignore the above email. I hit send by mistake. Long story
short... the R200 is not supported under Mesa Gallium. So a glxgears
rating of 262 fps with the ATI Radeon R200 card gives stuttering useless
streaming video while the onboard Intel GPU is OK, even though it gives
60 fps under glxgears.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM
pk

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 01:12:10AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote

Please ignore the above email. I hit send by mistake. Long story
short... the R200 is not supported under Mesa Gallium. So a glxgears
rating of 262 fps with the ATI Radeon R200 card gives stuttering useless
streaming video while the onboard Intel GPU is OK, even though it gives
60 fps under glxgears.

Most likely you have vertical sync on for the onboard Intel gpu which
can explain why you see it limited to 60 fps (lcds usually run at 60Hz).

Best regards

Peter K

Old 12-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 14 Dec 2011 17:55:14 pk wrote:
> On 2011-12-14 07:32, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 01:12:10AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
> >
> > Please ignore the above email. I hit send by mistake. Long story
> >
> > short... the R200 is not supported under Mesa Gallium. So a glxgears
> > rating of 262 fps with the ATI Radeon R200 card gives stuttering useless
> > streaming video while the onboard Intel GPU is OK, even though it gives
> > 60 fps under glxgears.
>
> Most likely you have vertical sync on for the onboard Intel gpu which
> can explain why you see it limited to 60 fps (lcds usually run at 60Hz).

Please remind me, where do you set up vsync?

On mine it seems to be on by default:

$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i vsync
[ 22796.516] (II) RADEON(0): SwapBuffers wait for vsync: enabled
Mick

Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 AM
pk

Please remind me, where do you set up vsync?

On mine it seems to be on by default:

$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i vsync
[ 22796.516] (II) RADEON(0): SwapBuffers wait for vsync: enabled

Hm... I thought this was about Intel GPU but apparently I misread...
anyhow, you can just 'emerge driconf' to adjust your settings. Otherwise
google reveals:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Graphics_drivers
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI