Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Lavender

Default Who can tell me relationship among dri,glx,mesa,xorg?

Now I'm totally confused, I can't find helpful information from Internet.I know mesa is a open source implementation of OpenGL, obviouslymesa will afford OpenGL API. DRI is short for Direct Rendering Infrastructure,I have chosen options likeevice Drivers --->
Graphics support --->
<*> Direct Rendering Manager --->
<*> ATI Radeon[*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default
Does this mean that DRI libraries are built into kernel? If not, who contains DRI?Also who affords GLX libraries? Mesa or Xorg?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Andrés Becerra Sandoval

Now I'm totally confused, I can't find helpful information from Internet.I know mesa is a open source implementation of OpenGL, obviously
mesa will afford OpenGL API. DRI is short for Direct Rendering Infrastructure,I have chosen options likeevice Drivers --->
Graphics support --->
<*> Direct Rendering Manager --->
<*> ATI Radeon[*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default
Does this mean that DRI libraries are built into kernel? If not, who contains DRI?Also who affords GLX libraries? Mesa or Xorg?

About Mesa:
http://www.mesa3d.org/intro.html

About DRI:http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/

--
* Andrés Becerra Sandoval

Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Am Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2011, 14:22:47 schrieb Lavender:
> Now I'm totally confused, I can't find helpful information from Internet.
> I know mesa is a open source implementation of OpenGL, obviously
> mesa will afford OpenGL API. DRI is short for Direct Rendering
> Infrastructure, I have chosen options like:
> Device Drivers --->
> Graphics support --->
> <*> Direct Rendering Manager --->

this is DRM. This one manages allocation of memory for video devices.

> <*> ATI Radeon
>[*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default
>
> Does this mean that DRI libraries are built into kernel?

No.

> If not, who
> contains DRI? Also who affords GLX libraries? Mesa or Xorg?

DRI is part of mesa. Mesa also provides the GLX libraries.

Best,
Michael

Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Lavender

At*2011-12-15*03:24:20,"Michael*Schreckenbauer"*<grimlog@gmx. de>*wrote:
>Am*Mittwoch,*14.*Dezember*2011,*14:22:47*schrieb* Lavender:
>>*Now*I'm*totally*confused,*I*can't*find*helpful* information*from*Internet.
>>*I*know*mesa*is*a*open*source*implementation*of* OpenGL,*obviously
>>*mesa*will*afford*OpenGL*API.*DRI*is*short*for*D irect*Rendering
>>*Infrastructure,*I*have*chosen*options*like:
>>*Device*Drivers*--->
>>***Graphics*support*--->
>>***<*>**Direct*Rendering*Manager*--->
>
>this*is*DRM.*This*one*manages*allocation*of*memor y*for*video*devices.
>
>>***<*>****ATI*Radeon
>>***[*]******Enable*modesetting*on*radeon*by*default
>>*
>>*Does*this*mean*that*DRI*libraries*are*built*int o*kernel?*
>
>No.
>
>>*If*not,*who
>>*contains*DRI?*Also*who*affords*GLX*libraries?*M esa*or*Xorg?
>
>DRI*is*part*of*mesa.*Mesa*also*provides*the*GLX*l ibraries.
>
>Best,
>Michael

Thanks and I wish you could help answer this question.Now I know Mesa provides DRI and GLX, when I installed xorg-server,there're also libraries named like libdri.so and libglx.so in /etc/X11/....(somewhere).What I don't understand is, why Xorg-server still provides its own DRI and GLX while Mesahas done this already?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Lavender

About Mesa:
http://www.mesa3d.org/intro.html

About DRI:http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/

--
* Andrés Becerra Sandoval

Thanks, the web pages you provided I have already read before, these don't seem to*provide helpful issues for my questions.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2011, 18:29:14 schrieb Lavender:
> At 2011-12-15 03:24:20,"Michael Schreckenbauer" <grimlog@gmx.de> wrote:
> >Am Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2011, 14:22:47 schrieb Lavender:
> >> Now I'm totally confused, I can't find helpful information from
> >> Internet. I know mesa is a open source implementation of OpenGL,
> >> obviously mesa will afford OpenGL API. DRI is short for Direct
> >> Rendering
> >> Infrastructure, I have chosen options like:
> >> Device Drivers --->
> >>
> >> Graphics support --->
> >> <*> Direct Rendering Manager --->
> >
> >this is DRM. This one manages allocation of memory for video devices.
> >
> >> <*> ATI Radeon
> >>[*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default
> >>
> >> Does this mean that DRI libraries are built into kernel?
> >
> >No.
> >
> >> If not, who
> >> contains DRI? Also who affords GLX libraries? Mesa or Xorg?
> >
> >DRI is part of mesa. Mesa also provides the GLX libraries.
> >
> >Best,
> >Michael
>
> Thanks and I wish you could help answer this question.Now I know Mesa
> provides DRI and GLX, when I installed xorg-server,there're also libraries
> named like libdri.so and libglx.so in /etc/X11/....(somewhere).

Yeah, I was wrong libglx and libdri are part of xorg-server.

Best,
Michael

Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Adam Carter

> Yeah, I was wrong libglx and libdri are part of xorg-server.

libglx can also be provided by driver packages. You can select the
xorg one or others via eselect;

proxy adam # eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] ati *
[2] xorg-x11

Also, I imagine those kernel options supply an interface for the DRM/DRI driver.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Lavender

>libglx*can*also*be*provided*by*driver*packages.*Y ou*can*select*the
>xorg*one*or*others*via*eselect;
>
>proxy*adam*#*eselect*opengl*list
>Available*OpenGL*implementations:
>**[2]***xorg-x11
>
>Also,*I*imagine*those*kernel*options*supply*an*in terface*for*the*DRM/DRI*driver.

Thank you very much ! I think I worked it out