FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Tanstaafl
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

Hi all,

Ok, this is also on this new hosted VM...

I need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using SASL auth on a
remote host using ssmtp...


I found this thread that has me almost there (I think):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/217567?do=post_view_threaded#217567

But it doesn't seem to be using SASL auth, because the attempt is being
blocked by my server client_access rule (which comes *after*
permit_sasl_authenticated)...


Here's what I have in make.conf (after reading the above thread):

PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root@userassword mail.myserver.com:100587"

and in ssmtpd.conf:

root=postmaster
mailhub=mail.myserver.com:587
AuthUser=<username>
AuthPass=<password>
UseSTARTTLS=YES

And here is the error I'm currently getting:

!!! An error occurred while trying to send logmail:
{'root@usernameassword': (554, '5.7.1
<li66-207.members.linode.com[74.207.224.207]>: Client host rejected:
Access denied')}


Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Leho Kraav
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

i would first of all suggest dropping ssmtp and going with nullmailer. if ssmtp fails for any reason it will lose your emails. nullmailer has queue capability.
 
Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Tanstaafl
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On 2011-12-13 5:42 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> wrote:

i would first of all suggest dropping ssmtp and going with
nullmailer. if ssmtp fails for any reason it will lose your emails.
nullmailer has queue capability.


Sounds good, I'll give it a shot (emerging now)...

Is there a decent HowTo on getting it up and running? The manpage was
full of technical stuff but I didn't see anmy clearcut examples of
getting it actually running and being used as the systems default mta
for sending messages.


Thanks!
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Tanstaafl
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On 2011-12-14 6:43 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

On 2011-12-13 5:42 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> wrote:

i would first of all suggest dropping ssmtp and going with
nullmailer. if ssmtp fails for any reason it will lose your emails.
nullmailer has queue capability.



Sounds good, I'll give it a shot (emerging now)...


Ok, emerged, did emerge --config nullmailer, added:

# A nonstandard SMTP server setup:
# someotherserver.domain.com smtp --port=2525
mail.myserver.com smtp --port=587 --user=<user> --pass=<pass>

to /etc/nullmailer/remotes, and added it to default runlevel.

When starting manually I get the following warning:

li66-207 nullmailer # /etc/init.d/nullmailer start
* Starting nullmailer ... [ ok ]
* WARNING: -c/--chuid is deprecated and will be removed in the future,
please use -u/--user instead


li66-207 nullmailer #

Checking the init script, I see:

start() {
checkconfig
ebegin "Starting nullmailer"
cd /var/nullmailer
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid ${USER}:${GROUP}
--exec ${DAEMON} -- ${ARGS}
eend $?
}

Should I change this? Ianap, so don't really feel comfortable just
changing it without confirming first...


Thanks again...
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On Dec 14, 2011 7:08 PM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

>

> On 2011-12-14 6:43 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

>>

>> On 2011-12-13 5:42 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> wrote:

>>>

>>> i would first of all suggest dropping ssmtp and going with

>>> nullmailer. if ssmtp fails for any reason it will lose your emails.

>>> nullmailer has queue capability.

>

>

>> Sounds good, I'll give it a shot (emerging now)...

>

>

> Ok, emerged, did emerge --config nullmailer, added:

>

> # A nonstandard SMTP server setup:

> # someotherserver.domain.com smtp --port=2525

> mail.myserver.com smtp --port=587 --user=<user> --pass=<pass>

>

> to /etc/nullmailer/remotes, and added it to default runlevel.

>

> When starting manually I get the following warning:

>

> li66-207 nullmailer # /etc/init.d/nullmailer start

> ** Starting nullmailer ... * * *[ ok ]

> ** WARNING: -c/--chuid is deprecated and will be removed in the future, please use -u/--user instead

> li66-207 nullmailer #

>

> Checking the init script, I see:

>

> start() {

> * * * *checkconfig

> * * * *ebegin "Starting nullmailer"

> * * * *cd /var/nullmailer

> * * * *start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid ${USER}:${GROUP}

> * * * * * * * * * * * * *--exec ${DAEMON} -- ${ARGS}

> * * * *eend $?

> }

>

> Should I change this? Ianap, so don't really feel comfortable just changing it without confirming first...

>

> Thanks again...

>


Don't.


Just file a bug, and let the maintainer take care of it.


It's *still* supported currently.


Rgds,
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:05:12 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> When starting manually I get the following warning:
>
> li66-207 nullmailer # /etc/init.d/nullmailer start
> * Starting nullmailer ... [ ok ]
> * WARNING: -c/--chuid is deprecated and will be removed in the
> future, please use -u/--user instead

Ignore it, it is only a deprecation warning. IMO these warnings shouldn't
be displayed to normal users by default, they are intended for devs.


--
Neil Bothwick

Walk softly and carry a fully charged phazer.
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Tanstaafl
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On 2011-12-14 7:16 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

Should I change this? Ianap, so don't really feel comfortable just
changing it without confirming first...



Don't.

Just file a bug, and let the maintainer take care of it.

It's *still* supported currently.


Will do...

But, I noticed I was still getting the same error after unmerging ssmtp
and emerging nullmailer, and /etc/ssmtp still exists... so apparently it
is still trying to use ssmtp somehow?


I moved the /etc/ssmtp dir (temporarily, until I figure this out) to my
home directory, and set PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI= back to its default
(commented it out), and now I'm getting this error:


!!! A network error occurred while trying to send logmail:
[Errno 111] Connection refused
Sure you configured PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI correctly?

How do I tell the system to use nullmailer?
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On Dec 14, 2011 7:22 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:05:12 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

>

> > When starting manually I get the following warning:

> >

> > li66-207 nullmailer # /etc/init.d/nullmailer start

> > * * Starting nullmailer ... * * *[ ok ]

> > * * WARNING: -c/--chuid is deprecated and will be removed in the

> > future, please use -u/--user instead

>

> Ignore it, it is only a deprecation warning. IMO these warnings shouldn't

> be displayed to normal users by default, they are intended for devs.

>

>


... or for normal users so that the normal users will file a bug. :-)


Rgds,
 
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Tanstaafl
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On 2011-12-14 7:25 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

!!! A network error occurred while trying to send logmail:
[Errno 111] Connection refused
Sure you configured PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI correctly?


Ok, finally figured out why I wasn't seeing any errors in the main log...

Here is the error in the main log:

Dec 14 07:58:17 li66-207 nullmailer[27759]: Starting delivery: protocol:
smtp host: mail.myserver.com file: 1323867377.8321
Dec 14 07:58:17 li66-207 nullmailer[13029]: smtp: Failed: 530 5.7.0 Must
issue a STARTTLS command first
Dec 14 07:58:17 li66-207 nullmailer[27759]: Sending failed: Permanent
error in sending the message
Dec 14 07:58:17 li66-207 nullmailer[27759]: Delivery complete, 1
message(s) remain.


So... does nullmailer even support STARTTLS?
 
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Tanstaafl
 
Default Need help getting portage to email me emerge logs using ssmtp...

On 2011-12-14 8:00 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

So... does nullmailer even support STARTTLS?


Crap, apparently not...

http://untroubled.org/nullmailer/TODO

back to square one...
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org