-   -   apache2 not running (no pid file) (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/609841-apache2-not-running-no-pid-file.html)

Todd Goodman 12-13-2011 06:20 PM

apache2 not running (no pid file)

* Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> [111213 14:07]:
> Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavior from apache-2.2.21-r1:
>
> # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> * Stopping apache2 ... [ ok ]
> * Starting apache2 ...
> * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/apache2 is already running [ ok ]
> # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> * apache2 not running (no pid file)
> * Starting apache2 ... [ ok ]
>
> It probably happens about half the time I restart apache2. Nothing in
> /var/log/apache2/error_log besides:
>
> [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
> [notice] Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) configured -- resuming normal operations
>
> - Grant

I've seen that for years. I always assumed it was because the apache2
stop didn't complete before the apache2 start tried to start when I use
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart.

Instead I do an /etc/init.d/apache2 stop; ps aux | egrep apache until I
see all the threads are gone and then a /etc/init.d/apache2 start

Todd

Mick 12-16-2011 04:54 PM

On Tuesday 13 Dec 2011 19:20:57 Todd Goodman wrote:
> * Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> [111213 14:07]:
> > Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavior from apache-2.2.21-r1:
> >
> > # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> >
> > * Stopping apache2 ... [ ok ]
> > * Starting apache2 ...
> > * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/apache2 is already running [ ok ]
> >
> > # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> >
> > * apache2 not running (no pid file)
> > * Starting apache2 ... [ ok ]
> >
> > It probably happens about half the time I restart apache2. Nothing in
> > /var/log/apache2/error_log besides:
> >
> > [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
> > [notice] Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) configured -- resuming normal operations
> >
> > - Grant
>
> I've seen that for years. I always assumed it was because the apache2
> stop didn't complete before the apache2 start tried to start when I use
> /etc/init.d/apache2 restart.
>
> Instead I do an /etc/init.d/apache2 stop; ps aux | egrep apache until I
> see all the threads are gone and then a /etc/init.d/apache2 start

+1

If there aren't many threads a quick restart will work fine, but if there are
many threads hanging around then you may be better off to stop, wait, then
start.
Mick

Grant 12-16-2011 07:31 PM

apache2 not running (no pid file)

>> > Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavior from apache-2.2.21-r1:
>> >
>> > # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>> >
>> > ** Stopping apache2 ... [ ok ]
>> > ** Starting apache2 ...
>> > ** start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/apache2 is already running [ ok ]
>> >
>> > # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>> >
>> > ** apache2 not running (no pid file)
>> > ** Starting apache2 ... [ ok ]
>> >
>> > It probably happens about half the time I restart apache2. *Nothing in
>> > /var/log/apache2/error_log besides:
>> >
>> > [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
>> > [notice] Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) configured -- resuming normal operations
>> >
>> > - Grant
>>
>> I've seen that for years. *I always assumed it was because the apache2
>> stop didn't complete before the apache2 start tried to start when I use
>> /etc/init.d/apache2 restart.
>>
>> Instead I do an /etc/init.d/apache2 stop; ps aux | egrep apache until I
>> see all the threads are gone and then a /etc/init.d/apache2 start
>
> +1
>
> If there aren't many threads a quick restart will work fine, but if there are
> many threads hanging around then you may be better off to stop, wait, then
> start.

Thanks fellas, that makes perfect sense. Would it make sense for me
to request a change to the initscript that waits until all threads
have stopped before starting during a restart?

- Grant

Michael Orlitzky 12-16-2011 08:12 PM

apache2 not running (no pid file)