Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default texlive 2011

After realizing that most packages I was installing, I used package.keywords and ~amd64, so I went ahead and jumped---I have started using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for ~amd64 in /etc/make.conf .** I think most of the inconsistencies have been ironed out, but it has taken some days.* One glaring problem involves ruby.** I need texlive, and I want to install texlive 2011, and I had installed it; however, now ruby is standing in my way.**

On bugs.gentoo.org, I see some solutions, involving patches.* One is a patch for ruby (dev-lang/ruby-1.8.7_p352 ).** The other is a patch for glibc 2.14.1 .**

I'm not sure how to handle this, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to mess around with a personal overlay of glibc.**

Now, unfortunately, after an emerge -avuD world, I have also run emerge --depclean, which cleared out every package involved with texlive.* I think texlive-pictures-2011 and texlive-science-2001, possible also others, are depending on ruby.**

I could also not find an accessible and up to date explanation of installing texlive.*

Can any one guide me towards understanding how to proceed?** I would rather not spend the next week re-installing my system.** Perhaps I should back out of ~amd64 to amd64?**

Thanks,

Alan Davis

Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Willie WY Wong

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:35:10AM -0800, Penguin Lover Alan E. Davis squawked:
> After realizing that most packages I was installing, I used
> package.keywords and ~amd64, so I went ahead and jumped---I have started
> using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for ~amd64 in /etc/make.conf . I think most of the
> inconsistencies have been ironed out, but it has taken some days. One
> glaring problem involves ruby. I need texlive, and I want to install
> texlive 2011, and I had installed it; however, now ruby is standing in my
> way.

Sorry, I am a bit confused about your description of what happened.
Can you give us a concise timeline? (Like: Day 1 installed X. Day 3,
changed keywords to ~amd64. Day 4, tried to install texlive. Got error
message Blah.)

> On bugs.gentoo.org, I see some solutions, involving patches. One is a
> patch for ruby (dev-lang/ruby-1.8.7_p352 ). The other is a patch for
> glibc 2.14.1 .

Which bug number?

> Now, unfortunately, after an emerge -avuD world, I have also run emerge
> --depclean, which cleared out every package involved with texlive. I think
> texlive-pictures-2011 and texlive-science-2001, possible also others, are
> depending on ruby.

That, uh, should not happen. How *did* you install texlive? If you
just emerged it, it should be in the WORLD set, and should not be
removed by depclean. Also, I thought the new depclean nowadays would
refuse to run if there are unresolved conflicts?

> I could also not find an accessible and up to date explanation of
> installing texlive.

Set the correct USE flags (use 'equery uses texlive' or 'emerge
--pretend --verbose texlive' to see the complete list. Select the ones
you want/need). For example, on my box I have set in
'/etc/portage/package.use' the following

app-text/texlive dvi2tty extra games graphics humanities jadetex music omega pdfannotextractor pstricks publishers science tex4ht xetex -xindy

And then just 'emerge texlive' should do the trick.

> Can any one guide me towards understanding how to proceed? I would rather
> not spend the next week re-installing my system. Perhaps I should back
> out of ~amd64 to amd64?

Backing out of ~ is sometimes a non-trivial task, especially if it
involves downgrading system packages like glibc. When I had to do it
in the past, I had the luxury of time and so I
1) keyworded ALL currently installed version to x86 (or in your case
amd64)
2) changed the make.conf setting to x86 (amd64 in your case).
This way portage won't force you to downgrade anything that is
installed and working, and after a month or two the stable keyword
should catch up or surpass the testing keyword and you'll have a
stable system again.

et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM
james

Alan E. Davis <lngndvs <at> gmail.com> writes:

I think texlive
(is a pain in the ass....)

Numerous times over the years, I have had fits with texlive*

Heres's my scratch notes the last time I figured
out the issue was fonts....
(another time it was EVILution.....(evolution).

1) equery b -f '/etc/texmf/.*'
2) Uninstalling all of the above reported ebuilds.
3) rm -rf /etc/texmf/*
rm -rf /usr/share/texmf*
emerge -C `qlist -I -C dev-texlive/*`
4) emerge -1 texlive

YMMV.

Basically, remove everything with textlive in the name
as well as dependent packages (if all else fails)

and check that it wants to install the version of textlive-*
you need/want. Finding the actual culprit often burns many
hours of hunt and seek.......

Ocationally I have to rebuild the system....
caveat emptor......

Good hunting,
HTH,

James

Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Once ruby was emerged, texlive installed pretty much without any MAJOR incident.* On the #gentoo irc channel, the advice was received to unmask ruby 1.9. * There seems to be some variation in how this is done, but that's basically all I needed to do.

Numerous times over the years, I have had fits with texlive*

Luckily this is the first time I've installed texlive on this system.**

I've installed texlive from upstream source various times, without any major issue.** It's a heck of a lot better than tetex used to be.

*
Heres's m

*1) equery b -f '/etc/texmf/.*'

* * * *2) Uninstalling all of the above reported ebuilds.

* * * *3) rm -rf /etc/texmf/*

* * * *rm -rf /usr/share/texmf*

* * * *emerge -C `qlist -I -C dev-texlive/*`

* * * *4) emerge -1 texlive
*

Ocationally I have to rebuild the system....

caveat emptor......
*I did find it difficult to figure out how to install texlive on Gentoo this time around, though.* Seems a good howto is needed.** This time around, I bascially just started emerging (emerge texlive) and after all the bumps and twists and turns, eventually I'd figured out that USE flags were needed.** I hadn't seen that at first, even though I've installed texlive on Gentoo before, a couple or three years ago.**

*

Alan