Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Michael Mol

Default Failed to install app-misc/ca-certificate - locale problem

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13-Dec-11 16:56, Michael Mol wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tried to update my system but emerging app-misc/ca-certificate
>>> failed with this error:
>>> -------------------
>>> *File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 178, in
>>> _unicode_encode
>>> * *s = s.encode(encoding, errors)
>>> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'u011f' in
>>> position 68: ordinal not in range(128)

>>> ** This package installs one or more file names containing characters
>>> that
>>> ** do not match your current locale settings. The current setting for
>>> ** filesystem encoding is 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'.
>>>
>>> ** For best results, UTF-8 encoding is recommended. See the Gentoo Linux
>>> ** Localization Guide for instructions about how to configure your
>>> ** locale for UTF-8 encoding:
>>> **
>>> ** * * *http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
>>> -------------------
>>>
>>> I did not have any /etc/env.d/02locale file, so I created
>>> one with LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" in it, but I still get the same
>>> error. I tried en_US.UTF-8 or en_EN.UTF-8 with the same
>>> results. I really do not understand what ca-certificates
>>> needs to get it installed...
>>

>> Having set up three Gentoo installs in the last month, and I've seen
>> this each time.
>>
>> It's blunt, but a mixture of "emerge -e --keep-going @world",
>> "shutdown -r now" and "emerge --resume --keep-going" commands clears
>> it up.
>

> OMG, I have to recompile the whole world to fix it???
> This is definitelly not "small" bug if it costs half day
> of compilation time... * *:-(

I've only *ever* seen it on fresh installs. An "emerge -e @world" to
propagate CFLAGS is usually an early step; I like to do it before I
install much more than 'screen' and 'vim'.

Chances are, it's some smaller thing, like getting locale settings in
place before emerging glibc or some fs tools, but I haven't tried
tracking it down more deeply.

--
:wq

Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Dec 13, 2011 10:46 PM, "Jarry" <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I just tried to update my system but emerging app-misc/ca-certificate

> failed with this error:

> -------------------

> *File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 178, in _unicode_encode

> * *s = s.encode(encoding, errors)

> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'u011f' in position 68: ordinal not in range(128)

> ** This package installs one or more file names containing characters that

> ** do not match your current locale settings. The current setting for

> ** filesystem encoding is 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'.

> ** For best results, UTF-8 encoding is recommended. See the Gentoo Linux

> ** Localization Guide for instructions about how to configure your

> ** locale for UTF-8 encoding:

> **

> ** * * *http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml

> -------------------

> I did not have any /etc/env.d/02locale file, so I created

> one with LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" in it, but I still get the same

> error. I tried en_US.UTF-8 or en_EN.UTF-8 with the same

> results. I really do not understand what ca-certificates

> needs to get it installed...

Have you tried locale-gen and env-update ?

Rgds,

Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2011 10:46 PM, "Jarry" <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I just tried to update my system but emerging app-misc/ca-certificate
>> failed with this error:
>> -------------------
>> *File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 178, in
>> _unicode_encode
>> * *s = s.encode(encoding, errors)
>> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'u011f' in
>> position 68: ordinal not in range(128)

>> ** This package installs one or more file names containing characters that
>> ** do not match your current locale settings. The current setting for
>> ** filesystem encoding is 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'.
>>
>> ** For best results, UTF-8 encoding is recommended. See the Gentoo Linux
>> ** Localization Guide for instructions about how to configure your
>> ** locale for UTF-8 encoding:
>> **
>> ** * * *http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
>> -------------------
>>
>> I did not have any /etc/env.d/02locale file, so I created
>> one with LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" in it, but I still get the same
>> error. I tried en_US.UTF-8 or en_EN.UTF-8 with the same
>> results. I really do not understand what ca-certificates
>> needs to get it installed...
>>

> Have you tried locale-gen and env-update ?

I did when I saw it, and it didn't clear the error.

--
:wq

Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Jarry

*
* http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
-------------------

I did not have any /etc/env.d/02locale file, so I created
one with LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" in it, but I still get the same
error. I tried en_US.UTF-8 or en_EN.UTF-8 with the same
results. I really do not understand what ca-certificates
needs to get it installed...

Have you tried locale-gen and env-update ?

Bingo, this solved my problem! I did locale-gen but I forgot
to run "env-update && source /etc/profile". I always thought
log-off/log-in updates enviromnent too. It is actually true,
but for user, not system-wide...

Jarry