Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Jarry

Default Failed to install app-misc/ca-certificate - locale problem

Hi,
I just tried to update my system but emerging app-misc/ca-certificate
failed with this error:
-------------------
File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 178, in
_unicode_encode

s = s.encode(encoding, errors)
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'u011f' in
position 68: ordinal not in range(128)

>>> Failed to install app-misc/ca-certificates-20111025, Log file:

* This package installs one or more file names containing characters that
* do not match your current locale settings. The current setting for
* filesystem encoding is 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'.

* For best results, UTF-8 encoding is recommended. See the Gentoo Linux
* Localization Guide for instructions about how to configure your
* locale for UTF-8 encoding:
*
* http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
-------------------

I did not have any /etc/env.d/02locale file, so I created
one with LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" in it, but I still get the same
error. I tried en_US.UTF-8 or en_EN.UTF-8 with the same
results. I really do not understand what ca-certificates
needs to get it installed...

Jarry

Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just tried to update my system but emerging app-misc/ca-certificate
> failed with this error:
> -------------------
> *File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 178, in
> _unicode_encode
> * *s = s.encode(encoding, errors)
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'u011f' in
> position 68: ordinal not in range(128)

> ** This package installs one or more file names containing characters that
> ** do not match your current locale settings. The current setting for
> ** filesystem encoding is 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'.
>
> ** For best results, UTF-8 encoding is recommended. See the Gentoo Linux
> ** Localization Guide for instructions about how to configure your
> ** locale for UTF-8 encoding:
> **
> ** * * *http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
> -------------------
>
> I did not have any /etc/env.d/02locale file, so I created
> one with LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" in it, but I still get the same
> error. I tried en_US.UTF-8 or en_EN.UTF-8 with the same
> results. I really do not understand what ca-certificates
> needs to get it installed...
>
> Jarry
> Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.

Having set up three Gentoo installs in the last month, and I've seen
this each time.

It's blunt, but a mixture of "emerge -e --keep-going @world",
"shutdown -r now" and "emerge --resume --keep-going" commands clears
it up.

--
:wq

Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Jarry

[...]

OMG, I have to recompile the whole world to fix it???
This is definitelly not "small" bug if it costs half day
of compilation time... :-(

Jarry