Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Daniel Troeder

Default ext4 inode limit reached

Hello

I have an ext4-filesystem that contains /usr/src, the /usr/portage and
/var/cache/edb. It previously also contained /var/db/pkg, but I had to
move that some weeks ago, because the fs was "full". Now it's "full"
again, though it has free blocks. But no inodes are left:

$ fsck -vf /dev/sda5
[..]
655360 inodes used (100.00%)
[..]

$ find /gentoo -xdev | wc -l
655338

That's really disappointing. I was using reiser3fs and XFS before, and
they didn't have that kind of limitation... Uhm... not meant as a rant -
I like ext4 - that's why I'm moving (almost?) everything to it...

Is there any way to raise the number of inodes without using
$ mkfs.ext4 -N BIGNUM

Thank you,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887

Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Alex Schuster

Daniel Troeder writes:

> I have an ext4-filesystem that contains /usr/src, the /usr/portage and
> /var/cache/edb. It previously also contained /var/db/pkg, but I had to
> move that some weeks ago, because the fs was "full". Now it's "full"
> again, though it has free blocks. But no inodes are left:
>
> $ fsck -vf /dev/sda5
> [..]
> 655360 inodes used (100.00%)
> [..]
>
> $ find /gentoo -xdev | wc -l
> 655338
>
> That's really disappointing. I was using reiser3fs and XFS before, and
> they didn't have that kind of limitation... Uhm... not meant as a rant -
> I like ext4 - that's why I'm moving (almost?) everything to it...
>
> Is there any way to raise the number of inodes without using
> $ mkfs.ext4 -N BIGNUM

Not really I think. You can enlarge the file system with resize2fs, this
will also increase the number of inodes, but that's probably hard when not
using LVM, and it's not really what you want, as the file system will be
larger than it needs to be.

Wonko