Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Tanstaafl

Default Unable to start rpc-idmap after kernel update...

Ok, I just need a sanity check...

I just updated my kernel from 2.6.37-r4 to 3.0.6, and now am unable to
mount a remote nfs filesystem (on a QNAP NFS) that has been working fine
for years...

I'm getting the following error:

myhost : Sun Dec 11, 12:20:00 : ~
# /etc/init.d/rpc.idmapd start
* Starting idmapd ...
* make sure DNOTIFY support is enabled ...

[ !! ]
* ERROR: rpc.idmapd failed to start
myhost : Sun Dec 11, 12:20:03 : ~
#

what is confusing me is I have never had DNOTIFY support enabled (I only
enable INOTIFY), and I simply did a makeoldconfig when
upgrqading/compiling the kernel, so why was it working before, but not now?

Do I really have to enable DNOTIFY now? If so, why did it work before?

Thanks...

Charles

Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

I just updated my kernel from 2.6.37-r4 to 3.0.6, and now am unable to
mount a remote nfs filesystem (on a QNAP NFS) that has been working
fine for years...

I'm getting the following error:

myhost : Sun Dec 11, 12:20:00 : ~
# /etc/init.d/rpc.idmapd start
* Starting idmapd ...
* make sure DNOTIFY support is enabled ...
[ !! ]
* ERROR: rpc.idmapd failed to start
myhost : Sun Dec 11, 12:20:03 : ~
#

what is confusing me is I have never had DNOTIFY support enabled (I
only enable INOTIFY), and I simply did a makeoldconfig when
upgrqading/compiling the kernel, so why was it working before, but not
now?

Do I really have to enable DNOTIFY now? If so, why did it work before?

Perhaps they fixed a kernel bug that allowed it to work despite the
difference? It wouldn't surprise me.

I've noticed that kernel config flags and "required ones" noted in
Gentoo documents get out of sync rather quickly and they are fast-moving
targets. Go ahead and re-configure the kernel with the requested flags.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury

Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Tanstaafl

Do I really have to enable DNOTIFY now? If so, why did it work before?

Perhaps they fixed a kernel bug that allowed it to work despite the
difference? It wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe so...

I've noticed that kernel config flags and "required ones" noted in
Gentoo documents get out of sync rather quickly and they are fast-moving
targets. Go ahead and re-configure the kernel with the requested flags.

Yeah, it's working now... thanks...