Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Pulseaudio shuts off

Hi,

sorry for the nebelous subject...

The following happened to me.
I have installed/configured pulseaudio according to this
for a one-person desktop gentoo-system:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio

When starting gwc (which is not in portage) and playing
sounds, it works...once...

After a while I here the same clicking sound, which happens
while booting the system and alsa takes over...and thats it.
I have to kill gwc.

On the console gwc prints:

Current stack limit: 8388608 bytes
libsndfile Version: libsndfile-1.0.25 1 0 25
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
Closing the Pulse audio device

The last line appears when I press "stop audio playback", the clicking
happes a few seconds later.

After that...no go.

I have appended /etc/pulse/default.pa at the end of this posting.

Interestingly it is possible to successfully restart gwc.

What can I do to fix this?

Best regards,
mcc

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)

.nofail

### Load something into the sample cache
#load-sample-lazy x11-bell /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/activate.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-coldplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-access /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav

.fail

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-card-restore

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files
### stored in /usr/share/application
load-module module-augment-properties

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)
load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack udev support)
load-module module-detect
.endif

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so
load-module module-bluetooth-discover
.endif

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix

### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-zeroconf-publish

### Load the RTP reciever module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Load additional modules from GConf settings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually
### loaded modules.
.ifexists module-gconf.so
.nofail
load-module module-gconf
.fail
.endif

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user during runtime
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Honour intended role device property
load-module module-intended-roles

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
load-module module-console-kit

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-cork-music-on-phone

# X11 modules should not be started from default.pa so that one daemon
# can be shared by multiple sessions.

### Load X11 bell module
#load-module module-x11-bell sample=bell-windowing-system

### Register ourselves in the X11 session manager
#load-module module-x11-xsmp

### Publish connection data in the X11 root window
#.ifexists module-x11-publish.so
#.nofail
#load-module module-x11-publish
#.fail
#.endif

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Francisco Ares

Hi

I could not check the pulseaudio dependency for gws, as libsndfile does not have it.

I have had pulseaudio for a year or so, and it was fine.* I used it mainly because VirtualBox depended on it to emulate a sound car on its virtual machines. Then something broke, and I could not get any sound out of the speakers, just the first app get the device, and no other after that.

Then, after Dale asked me why did I need pulseaudio, I saw that VirtualBox now is able to handle plain and simple ALSA, then I removed all pulseaudio related things that I could find, rebuilt the kernel with alsa built-in and everything I need is back making noises ;-)

Francisco

Old 12-11-2011, 01:36 AM

Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> [11-12-11 03:30]:
HI,

Nice story of success, Francisco...but it does not answer
my question.

Sigh.

Others, who want to report, that they do not have problems?

Sigh...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Francisco Ares

Hi, mcc

Well, it was my hope to inspire you to also get rid of pulseaudio.* Do you really need it? Is it a forced dependency to gwc ?

Good luckFrancisco
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, mcc
>
> Well, it was my hope to inspire you to also get rid of pulseaudio.* Do you
> really need it? Is it a forced dependency to gwc ?

gwc isn't in portage.

--
:wq

Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> [11-12-11 13:16]:
> Hi, mcc
>
> Well, it was my hope to inspire you to also get rid of pulseaudio. Do you
> really need it? Is it a forced dependency to gwc ?
>
> Good luck
> Francisco
> --
> "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
> and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
> one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
> - George Bernard Shaw

Everything else on my box works with plain alsa.
Unfortunately support for gwc has stopped and its alsa interface
--hrrrmm-- features the old interface (read:"is rotten and does
not work").
The only interface working with that piece of software is pulseaudio.

Thats"s why...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> [11-12-11 14:24]:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, mcc
> >
> > Well, it was my hope to inspire you to also get rid of pulseaudio.* Do you
> > really need it? Is it a forced dependency to gwc ?
>
> gwc isn't in portage.
>
> --
> :wq

Well, that was what I wrote in my inital posting...

mcc

Old 12-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 8:26 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> [11-12-11 14:24]:
>> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi, mcc
>> >
>> > Well, it was my hope to inspire you to also get rid of pulseaudio.* Do you
>> > really need it? Is it a forced dependency to gwc ?
>>
>> gwc isn't in portage.
>>
>> --
>> :wq
>>

> Well, that was what I wrote in my inital posting...

Which is how I knew.

(I was remarking more on forced dependency status...but apparently
you've dug a little deeper into it and were able to answer on a
functional level.)

--
:wq

Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Aljosha Papsch

Am Samstag, den 10.12.2011, 17:25 +0100 schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for the nebelous subject...
>
> The following happened to me.
> I have installed/configured pulseaudio according to this
> for a one-person desktop gentoo-system:
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio
>
> When starting gwc (which is not in portage) and playing
> sounds, it works...once...
>
> After a while I here the same clicking sound, which happens
> while booting the system and alsa takes over...and thats it.
> I have to kill gwc.
>
> On the console gwc prints:
>
> Current stack limit: 8388608 bytes
> libsndfile Version: libsndfile-1.0.25 1 0 25
> socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
> Closing the Pulse audio device
>
> The last line appears when I press "stop audio playback", the clicking
> happes a few seconds later.
>
> After that...no go.
>
> I have appended /etc/pulse/default.pa at the end of this posting.
>
> Interestingly it is possible to successfully restart gwc.
>
> What can I do to fix this?
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

Guessing wildly from your message in the other thread, I suggest you try
compiling with alsa disabled. Maybe the alsa and pulseaudio interfaces
don't work well together in gwc on modern systems (you said gwc is quite
old)? I'm not familiar with gwc though.

Regards