Old 12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
James

Default AVCHD on Gentoo

Hello,

Background:
Well it's time for a new camcorder rig.
My old sony (sr42) allowed me to mount the
hard drive and copy the files around
the net using standard linux commands
cp or scp.... very cool even if not intended.
I would then plug the usb cable into the shoe
(cradle for the camera) into the xp pc
and use the one touch button sony software to
burn a dvd. Nice and simple. A raw copy of the
mp4 files on a linux system, and burned
DVDs that just worked everywhere. Point
kaffine to a dir, and it auto plays the
files in sequence, like a movie. Simple
and cool.

<enter blueray and MP4-AVC>

NOW.
AVCHD is the camera version of H.264.
I guess I need to burn these to blueray
to keep the high res (HD 1920 x1080) wide
screen format.

How do folks process this sort of video
and what software do you use? What camcorders?

Do you burn the blueray disc on a gentoo system?

If you use PC software, what is the best to use?
Move the finished movie over to a linux system
for storage and replay; any issues?

Any discussion is welcome, as I really want a Gentoo
centric solution to using a high end camcorder.

I'm looking at Sony gear just cause I have an sony
tripod that may not even work with the newer
sony cameras........

Sony HDR-CX550V (low end) and up (Sony NEX-VG10),
but other suggestions are most welcome. Recording
on to the linux multimedia server is paramount
for me. If I have to use DOZ to process the
video, I can live with that, but would prefer
to do the post processing of the H.264 files
on Gentoo.

My target applications is sports recording,
particularly basketball games in high resolution,
so any advice on wide-angle issues is also of
keen interest to me.

James

Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> How do folks process this sort of video
> and what software do you use? What camcorders?

I use Kdenlive for GUI (which uses MLT as backend) and my camcorder is
Canon HG-10. It uses AVCHD, Kdenlive/MLT handles it beautifully.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 AM
James

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I use Kdenlive for GUI (which uses MLT as backend) and my camcorder is
> Canon HG-10. It uses AVCHD, Kdenlive/MLT handles it beautifully.

thanks.

I replied to this yesterday, but I guess Gmane
was not working.....

I'll give kdenlive a spin.

On mlt, it looks very feature rich. I shall read up on it
and experiment with it's features. What do you typically
use MLT specifically for while creating a dvd or blue_ray disc?

James

Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I use Kdenlive for GUI (which uses MLT as backend) and my camcorder is
>> Canon HG-10. It uses AVCHD, Kdenlive/MLT handles it beautifully.
>

> thanks.
>
> I replied to this yesterday, but I guess Gmane
> was not working.....
>
> I'll give kdenlive a spin.
>
> On mlt, it looks very feature rich. I shall read up on it
> and experiment with it's features. What do you typically
> use MLT specifically for while creating a dvd or blue_ray disc?

MLT handles the filters, transitions, audio mixing, titles, overlays,
etc. though I never actually run MLT directly. Kdenlive seems to
basically have UI for all of MLTs features, so it makes it nice and
easy to use.