Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Grant

Default Wireless: Limit rate to strengthen connection?

I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110

for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.

Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.

- Grant

Old 03-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Jerry McBride

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 04:53:24 pm Grant wrote:
> I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
> feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
>
> for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
> work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
> time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
> it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
> goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
>
> Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
> that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
>
> - Grant

Grant,

Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly. The lower rates
use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms better
connects over long hauls.

The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
models: ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
have, will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
speed scale doing it too.

Cheers.

--

From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
> feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
>
> for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
> work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
> time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
> it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
> goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
>
> Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
> that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
>
> - Grant

It might but it didn't for me. I eventually bought 4 of these LinkSys
Wireless Access Point units and placed them in strategic locations to
get around the problems I was having.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124012

They have worked very well for me but occasionally I have folks in my
neighborhood getting attached to my network and I have to forcibly
drive them off. I run these in their 'bridging' mode and don't use any
Linux wireless. All my Gentoo machines use wired networks talking to
these boxes or the router directly.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Grant

> > I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
> > feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
> >
> > for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
> > work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
> > time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
> > it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
> > goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
> >
> > Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
> > that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
> >
> > - Grant
>
> Grant,
>
> Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly. The lower rates
> use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms better
> connects over long hauls.
>
> The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
> heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
> models: ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
> http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
> have, will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
> speed scale doing it too.

I'm using a Netgear PCI adapter on the AP and an Edimax USB adapter on
the client. Do you know how I can limit the rate? Should it be done
on the Gentoo AP or the client?

- Grant

Old 03-26-2008, 09:02 PM
Jerry McBride

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 05:21:50 pm Grant wrote:
> > > I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
> > > feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:
> > >
> > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
> > >
> > > for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
> > > work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
> > > time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
> > > it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
> > > goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
> > >
> > > Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
> > > that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > Grant,
> >
> > Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly. The lower
> > rates use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms
> > better connects over long hauls.
> >
> > The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
> > heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
> > models: ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
> > http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
> > have, will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
> > speed scale doing it too.
>
> I'm using a Netgear PCI adapter on the AP and an Edimax USB adapter on
> the client. Do you know how I can limit the rate? Should it be done
> on the Gentoo AP or the client?
>
> - Grant

I use wireless-tools from portage. In it is iwconfig. A simple man iwconfig
will show you what you need. Other thing you could do is configure the
Wireless AP for a fixed rate... works for me.

Cheers.

--

From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Grant

> > > Grant,
> > >
> > > Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly. The lower
> > > rates use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms
> > > better connects over long hauls.
> > >
> > > The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
> > > heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
> > > models: ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
> > > http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
> > > have, will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
> > > speed scale doing it too.
> >
> > I'm using a Netgear PCI adapter on the AP and an Edimax USB adapter on
> > the client. Do you know how I can limit the rate? Should it be done
> > on the Gentoo AP or the client?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> I use wireless-tools from portage. In it is iwconfig. A simple man iwconfig
> will show you what you need. Other thing you could do is configure the
> Wireless AP for a fixed rate... works for me.

I found this:

rate_wlan0=( "5.5M" )

which isn't documented in net.wireless, but it doesn't seem to have
any affect. I've tried it on the router and the client which uses
wpa_supplicant. I still see the rate on the client fluctuate all the
way up to 54 Mb/s in the output from iwconfig. The router's rate is
always reported as 0 kb/s.

- Grant

Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Grant

> > > I'm using a Netgear PCI adapter on the AP and an Edimax USB adapter on
> > > the client. Do you know how I can limit the rate? Should it be done
> > > on the Gentoo AP or the client?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > I use wireless-tools from portage. In it is iwconfig. A simple man iwconfig
> > will show you what you need. Other thing you could do is configure the
> > Wireless AP for a fixed rate... works for me.
>
> I found this:
>
> rate_wlan0=( "5.5M" )
>
> which isn't documented in net.wireless, but it doesn't seem to have
> any affect. I've tried it on the router and the client which uses
> wpa_supplicant. I still see the rate on the client fluctuate all the
> way up to 54 Mb/s in the output from iwconfig. The router's rate is
> always reported as 0 kb/s.
>
> - Grant

It appears 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M' works (at least as far as the
output from iwconfig is concerned) but how can I set /etc/conf.d/net
to always use this rate?

- Grant

Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Grant

> > I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
> > feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
> >
> > for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
> > work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
> > time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
> > it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
> > goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
> >
> > Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
> > that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
> >
> > - Grant
>
> Grant,
>
> Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly. The lower rates
> use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms better
> connects over long hauls.
>
> The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
> heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
> models: ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
> http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
> have, will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
> speed scale doing it too.

With careful antenna placement and use of 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 2M' I
have a nice reliable connection. Thanks for the advice on lowering
the rate.

Does anyone think I would be better off with a 15 foot antenna
extension cable and a PCI adapter than what I have now which is a USB
adapter on the end of a 15 foot USB cable? I know antenna cables are
lossy.

- Grant

Old 03-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Richard Marzan

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 19:52 -0700, Grant wrote:

> > > I use wireless-tools from portage. In it is iwconfig. A simple man iwconfig
> > > will show you what you need. Other thing you could do is configure the
> > > Wireless AP for a fixed rate... works for me.
> >
> > I found this:
> >
> > rate_wlan0=( "5.5M" )
> >
> > which isn't documented in net.wireless, but it doesn't seem to have
> > any affect. I've tried it on the router and the client which uses
> > wpa_supplicant. I still see the rate on the client fluctuate all the
> > way up to 54 Mb/s in the output from iwconfig. The router's rate is
> > always reported as 0 kb/s.
> >
> > - Grant
>
> It appears 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M' works (at least as far as the
> output from iwconfig is concerned) but how can I set /etc/conf.d/net
> to always use this rate?
>
> - Grant

The best way I found to do this is to just write your own script and run
it at the default runlevel. write a script called wireless-up save it in
your /root directory. Then in /etc/conf.d/local.start add the script
name to the list: /root/wireless-up. Make sure the script is executable
with chmod 666 /root/wireless-up. Here is what mine looks like. I laugh
when I read this thing that I call a script. I'll be upgrading this in
the future but for now maybe someone has a better idea and/or script.

#!/bin/bash
DATE=`date +%m_%d_%Y`
ifconfig wlan0 up || "echo wlan up failed"
iwconfig wlan0 essid ACCESSPOINTNAME || "echo setting essid failed"
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed || echo "setting mode to managed failed"
iwconfig wlan0 key restricted YOURKEYHERE || echo "key failed
verification"
dhclient wlan0 || echo "wlan0 failed to receive dhcp request response"
# if [ $DATE -ne `date +%m_%d_%Y -r /tmp/.wireless.*
rm /tmp/.wireless.*
iwconfig >> /tmp/.wireless.$DATE
exit 0

Old 03-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Florian Philipp

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 20:42 -0400, Richard Marzan wrote:

> > > I found this:
> > >
> > > rate_wlan0=( "5.5M" )
> > >
> > > which isn't documented in net.wireless, but it doesn't seem to have
> > > any affect. I've tried it on the router and the client which uses
> > > wpa_supplicant. I still see the rate on the client fluctuate all the
> > > way up to 54 Mb/s in the output from iwconfig. The router's rate is
> > > always reported as 0 kb/s.
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > It appears 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M' works (at least as far as the
> > output from iwconfig is concerned) but how can I set /etc/conf.d/net
> > to always use this rate?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> The best way I found to do this is to just write your own script and run
> it at the default runlevel. write a script called wireless-up save it in
> your /root directory. Then in /etc/conf.d/local.start add the script
> name to the list: /root/wireless-up. Make sure the script is executable
> with chmod 666 /root/wireless-up. Here is what mine looks like. I laugh
> when I read this thing that I call a script. I'll be upgrading this in
> the future but for now maybe someone has a better idea and/or script.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> DATE=`date +%m_%d_%Y`
> ifconfig wlan0 up || "echo wlan up failed"
> iwconfig wlan0 essid ACCESSPOINTNAME || "echo setting essid failed"
> iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed || echo "setting mode to managed failed"
> iwconfig wlan0 key restricted YOURKEYHERE || echo "key failed
> verification"
> dhclient wlan0 || echo "wlan0 failed to receive dhcp request response"
> # if [ $DATE -ne `date +%m_%d_%Y -r /tmp/.wireless.*
> rm /tmp/.wireless.*
> iwconfig >> /tmp/.wireless.$DATE
> exit 0

For custom scrips, you can add a preup, failup or postup-function
to /etc/conf.d/net, there should be examples in the file.

Something like

pastup() {
if [[ ${IFACE} = "wlan0" ]]; then
iwconfig [...]