Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Alex Schuster

Default PRNG is not seeded

Dale writes:

> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> > Both the files /dev/random and /dev/urandom are missing in my system.
> >
> > How do i go ahead in fixing this issue
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> >
> > Kaushal
>
> I just noticed this on mine. Do you have the service urandom in the
> boot runlevel?

Looking at the init script it seems like if the character
device /dev/urandom does not exist, it exits directly.

Does anyone know what exactly creates these device nodes and why it could
fail?
You could try to create them manually, but I doubt that this helps:
mknod /dev/random c 1 8
mknod /dev/urandom c 1 9

Kayshal, do you remember doing anything spoecial before this happened?
Booting a new kernel, updating things like hotplug / udev stuff?

Wonko

Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Roger Mason

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> writes:

> Dale writes:
>
>> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>
>> > Both the files /dev/random and /dev/urandom are missing in my system.
>> >
>> I just noticed this on mine. Do you have the service urandom in the
>> boot runlevel?
>
> Looking at the init script it seems like if the character
> device /dev/urandom does not exist, it exits directly.
>
> Does anyone know what exactly creates these device nodes and why it could
> fail?

Some kernel option?

grep RANDOM /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_AMD=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_GEODE=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIA=y

Roger

Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Alex Schuster

Roger Mason writes:

> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> writes:
[/dev/random, /dev/urandom]
> > Does anyone know what exactly creates these device nodes and why it
> > could fail?
>
> Some kernel option?
>
> grep RANDOM /usr/src/linux/.config
> CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=y
> CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y
> CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_AMD=y
> CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_GEODE=y
> CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIA=y

No, I think they are for special hardware randoem generators only. I don't
heve those enabled in my .config.

Wonko

Old 03-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Florian Philipp

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 23:24 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>
> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:17:07 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>
> > when i restart sshd I get PRNG is not seeded
> >
> > # /etc/init.d/sshd restart
> > PRNG is not seeded
>

> Does /dev/urandom exist? What are it's permissions?
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Never eat more than you can lift.
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the clue,
>
> Both the files /dev/random and /dev/urandom are missing in my system.
>
> How do i go ahead in fixing this issue
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Kaushal

I'm not sure if this is a permanent solution because /dev is a tmpfs
created by udev on startup (maybe there is your problem?) but you could
try

mknod -m 444 /dev/random c 1 8
mknod -m 444 /dev/urandom c 1 9

Both commands are taken from Linux from Scratch.

There is a static /dev lying on your root-partition. It should have been
created when you extracted your stage3-tarball during installation.
Maybe there is something wrong with that one and udev doesn't create
(u)random when they are not in the static one. To see the static /dev
you must unmount /dev, which you can only do from a live-cd.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:38:15 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:

> To see the static /dev
> you must unmount /dev, which you can only do from a live-cd.

That's not true, you can also see it by bind mounting root somewhere else.

mount -bind / /mnt
ls -l /mnt/dev

--
Neil Bothwick

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. *
Wright

Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Dale

Alex Schuster wrote:

Roger Mason writes:

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> writes:

[/dev/random, /dev/urandom]

Does anyone know what exactly creates these device nodes and why it
could fail?

Some kernel option?

grep RANDOM /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_AMD=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_GEODE=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIA=y

No, I think they are for special hardware randoem generators only. I don't
heve those enabled in my .config.

Wonko

I don't have those either.

root@smoker / # grep RANDOM /usr/src/linux/.config
# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM is not set
root@smoker / #

Not sure where that device comes from. I do have them on my system tho.

Dale

:-) :-)