Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Default : no sound on upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 - using

On , Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Francisco Ares wrote:
>
> Thank you all who replied my last messages.
>
> Now I am back to plain alsa, but no two programs can use it at the same time. Alsa drivers are built on the kernel, and I have the following packages installed:
>
> media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0
> media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10
> media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9
>
> The two first ones were puled by emerging "alsa-utils".
>
> I have lost "/etc/asound.conf", and I guess this is the key. *Looking to which package it belongs to, "equery" found none. I have put a quite simple version (as explained here: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device) http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device%29>::
>
> pcm.!default { type hw card Intel }
> ctl.!default { type hw card Intel }
>
> Any hints on how can I get all programs to mix up as before?
>
> Thanks again
> Francisco
>
> --
> "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
>

> I build my audio drivers into my kernel. *I also have these alsa related packages installed:
>
> root@fireball / # equery list *alsa*
> ** Searching for *alsa* ...
> [IP-] [ *] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0
> [IP-] [ *] media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10
> [IP-] [ *] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.24:0
> [IP-] [ *] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9
> [IP-] [ *] media-sound/alsamixergui-0.9.0.1.2-r4:0
> root@fireball / #
>
> See if yours looks something like this. *I can watch videos and other programs play sound at the same time.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) *:-)
>
> --
> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
>
> Miss the compile output? *Hint:
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

In another machine I have at the office, sound works great without ever having pulse installed. And there is no "/etc/asoud.whatever"

I will recompile the kernel to remove a loop device that is going default every time.

Will post the results.

Thanks
Francisco

Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Dale

frares@gmail.com wrote:

On , Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Francisco Ares wrote:
>
> Thank you all who replied my last messages.
>
> Now I am back to plain alsa, but no two programs can use it at the
same time. Alsa drivers are built on the kernel, and I have the
following packages installed:

> media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0
> media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10
> media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9
>
> The two first ones were puled by emerging "alsa-utils".
>
> I have lost "/etc/asound.conf", and I guess this is the key.
Looking to which package it belongs to, "equery" found none. I have
put a quite simple version (as explained here:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device)
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device%29>::

> pcm.!default { type hw card Intel }
> ctl.!default { type hw card Intel }
>
> Any hints on how can I get all programs to mix up as before?
>
> Thanks again
> Francisco
>
> --
> "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea
and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will
have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

> I build my audio drivers into my kernel. I also have these alsa
related packages installed:

> root@fireball / # equery list *alsa*
> * Searching for *alsa* ...
> [IP-] [ ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0
> [IP-] [ ] media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10
> [IP-] [ ] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.24:0
> [IP-] [ ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9
> [IP-] [ ] media-sound/alsamixergui-0.9.0.1.2-r4:0
> root@fireball / #
>
> See if yours looks something like this. I can watch videos and
other programs play sound at the same time.

> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>
> --
> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you
understood or how you interpreted my words!

> Miss the compile output? Hint:
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

In another machine I have at the office, sound works great without
ever having pulse installed. And there is no "/etc/asoud.whatever"

I will recompile the kernel to remove a loop device that is going
default every time.

Will post the results.

Thanks
Francisco

I noticed this in my updates tonight. This may be what you need to
install or check into.

[i] media-libs/sdl-mixer
Available versions: 1.2.11-r1{tbz2} {flac mad +midi mikmod mp3
playtools static-libs timidity vorbis +wav}
Installed versions: 1.2.11-r1{tbz2}(07:58:24 PM 12/09/2011)(flac
mad midi mp3 vorbis wav -mikmod -playtools -static-libs -timidity)

Homepage: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/

From what it says, it is what mixes sounds. That's my thinking anyway.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Francisco Ares

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 12:20 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

frares@gmail.com wrote:

On , Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Francisco Ares wrote:

> Thank you all who replied my last messages.

> Now I am back to plain alsa, but no two programs can use it at the same time. Alsa drivers are built on the kernel, and I have the following packages installed:

> media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0

> media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10

> media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9

> The two first ones were puled by emerging "alsa-utils".

> I have lost "/etc/asound.conf", and I guess this is the key. *Looking to which package it belongs to, "equery" found none. I have put a quite simple version (as explained here: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device) http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device%29>::

> pcm.!default { type hw card Intel }

> ctl.!default { type hw card Intel }

> Any hints on how can I get all programs to mix up as before?

> Thanks again

> Francisco

> --

> "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

> I build my audio drivers into my kernel. *I also have these alsa related packages installed:

> root@fireball / # equery list *alsa*

> ** Searching for *alsa* ...

> [IP-] [ *] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0

> [IP-] [ *] media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10

> [IP-] [ *] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.24:0

> [IP-] [ *] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9

> [IP-] [ *] media-sound/alsamixergui-0.9.0.1.2-r4:0

> root@fireball / #

> See if yours looks something like this. *I can watch videos and other programs play sound at the same time.

> Dale

> :-) *:-)

> --

> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

> Miss the compile output? *Hint:

> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

In another machine I have at the office, sound works great without ever having pulse installed. And there is no "/etc/asoud.whatever"

I will recompile the kernel to remove a loop device that is going default every time.

Will post the results.

Thanks

Francisco

I noticed this in my updates tonight. *This may be what you need to install or check into.

[i] media-libs/sdl-mixer

* * Available versions: *1.2.11-r1{tbz2} {flac mad +midi mikmod mp3 playtools static-libs timidity vorbis +wav}

* * Installed versions: *1.2.11-r1{tbz2}(07:58:24 PM 12/09/2011)(flac mad midi mp3 vorbis wav -mikmod -playtools -static-libs -timidity)

* * Homepage: * * * * * *http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/

From what it says, it is what mixes sounds. *That's my thinking anyway.

Dale

:-) *:-)

Miss the compile output? *Hint:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Thanks, Dale, but now everything is working fine again. I left "genkernel" working overnight on my custom ".config", and now that I removed "/etc/asound.conf" and "/etc/asound.status" and rebooted, everything is working fine with just plain ALSA.

As far as I know, "sdl" is somewhat like "pulse", isn't it? Some higher level of interfacing, I think.* Let's do some more research...

By the way, looking on your previous post, why do you have alsa-libs emerged and alsa built in the kernel at the same time?

Thanks again
Francisco

Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Dale

Francisco Ares wrote:

Thanks, Dale, but now everything is working fine again. I left
"genkernel" working overnight on my custom ".config", and now that I
removed "/etc/asound.conf" and "/etc/asound.status" and rebooted,
everything is working fine with just plain ALSA.

As far as I know, "sdl" is somewhat like "pulse", isn't it? Some
higher level of interfacing, I think. Let's do some more research...

By the way, looking on your previous post, why do you have alsa-libs
emerged and alsa built in the kernel at the same time?

Thanks again
Francisco

--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

If I recall correctly, I had to install alsamixer to unmute my card. I
think that is what pulled that and others in. Funny thing is, once I
unmute the card, I guess I can remove the package. I don't think the
alsa service is running or anything. I use Kmix for volume settings.

Strange how each system does the same things but has different ways of
doing it. :/

Dale

:-) :-)