FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Lavender
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

I'm being working out with building KDE environment recently.*
Now I need installing Xorg first. As the <The X Server Configuration HOWTO> says,
if I use radeon card ,then I need emerge radeon-ucode or linux-firmware package.
Then I need rebuild my kernel with External firmware blobs*. My video card belongs
to radeon 4000 series, so I should add "radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin"*as
it says into* External firmware blobs . But when I make, it says that it can't find files that I specific..
Can anyone help?
 
Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 AM
James Broadhead
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

2011/12/8 Lavender <lavender_matrix@163.com>:
> I'm being working out with building KDE environment recently.
> Now I need installing Xorg first. As the <The X Server Configuration HOWTO>
> says,
> if I use radeon card ,then I need emerge radeon-ucode or linux-firmware
> package.
> Then I need rebuild my kernel with External firmware blobs*. My video card
> belongs
> to radeon 4000 series, so I should add "radeon/R600_rlc.bin
> radeon/R700_rlc.bin"*as
> it says into* External firmware blobs . But when I make, it says that it
> can't find files that I specific..
> Can anyone help?
>
I maintain http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon , which should sort you out.

If not, please post again & I'll update the article to be more helpful.
 
Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Lavender
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

>I*maintain*http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon*,*which*should*sort*you*out.
>
>If*not,*please*post*again*&*I'll*update*the*artic le*to*be*more*helpful.
>
I'm sorry, cause the policy of Internet in my country, I can't open the webpage.Could you send it to me or use other methods?
 
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
James Broadhead
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

2011/12/8 Lavender <lavender_matrix@163.com>:
>>I*maintain*http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon*,*which*should*sort*you*out.
>>
>>If*not,*please*post*again*&*I'll*update*the*arti cle*to*be*more*helpful.
>>
>
> I'm sorry, cause the policy of Internet in my country, I can't open the
> webpage.
>
> Could you send it to me or use other methods?

Please see my off-list reply.
 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Lavender
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

>>*I'm*sorry,*cause*the*policy*of**Internet*in*my* country,*I*can't*open*the
>>*webpage.
>>
>>*Could*you*send*it*to*me*or*use*other*methods?
>
>Please*see*my*off-list*reply.
>
Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose information, then I looked up carefullyfor my video card, but I did not find anything about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clearabout R*** things , is it chipset name?
 
Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Lavender
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose information, then I looked up carefullyfor my video card, but I did not find anything about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clearabout R*** things , is it chipset name?>Hmm, I re-installed radeon-ucode package and I'm sure that I have R600_rlc.bin cause I canlocate it in /lib/firmware/ and /usr/src/linux/somewhere. But when I use make , the error message
like:make[1]: *** No rule to make target `firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin', needed by `firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin.gen.o'. *Stop.make: *** [firmware] Error 2It's weird, because I think I have done all the*Prerequisite correctly, so how could I*fix it out ?
 
Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Gregory Shearman
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

In linux.gentoo.user, Lavender wrote:

> Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose
> information, then I looked up carefully for my video card, but I did
> not find anything about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clear
> about R*** things , is it chipset name?
>>Hmm, I re-installed radeon-ucode package and I'm sure that I have
>>R600_rlc.bin cause I canlocate it in /lib/firmware/ and
>>/usr/src/linux/somewhere. But when I use make , the error message
>>like:make[1]: *** No rule to make target
>>`firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin', needed by
>>`firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin.gen.o'. Stop.make: *** [firmware] Error
>>2
> It's weird, because I think I have done all the Prerequisite
> correctly, so how could I fix it out ?

I think you need:

CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y

Configured into your kernel.

Have a look at your dmesg output. It should have your Radeon card
version listed. Mine is a Radeon REDWOOD chip.

Here's my kernel config relating to building firmware into the kernel:

(ignore the fact that I wastefully build in all the chip versions other
than the REDWOOD)

CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin
radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin
radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin
radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin
radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin carl9170-1.fw"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

--
Regards,
Gregory.
 
Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Lavender
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

>I*think*you*need:
>
>CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
>
>Configured*into*your*kernel.
>
>Have*a*look*at*your*dmesg*output.*It*should*have* your*Radeon*card
>version*listed.*Mine*is*a*Radeon*REDWOOD*chip.
>
>Here's*my*kernel*config*relating*to*building*firm ware*into*the*kernel:
>Thank you, I'll try. Hope it will be success...
>(ignore*the*fact*that*I*wastefully*build*in*all*t he*chip*versions*other
>than*the*REDWOOD)
>
>CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
>CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
>CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin*radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin*
>radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin*radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin*radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin*
>radeon/CEDAR_me.bin*radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin*radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin*
>radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin*radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin*radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin*
>radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin*carl9170-1.fw"
>CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
>
>--*
>Regards,
>Gregory.
>
 
Old 12-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Mick
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

On Friday 09 Dec 2011 02:01:36 Lavender wrote:
> >> I'm sorry, cause the policy of Internet in my country, I can't open the
> >> webpage.
> >>
> >> Could you send it to me or use other methods?
> >
> >Please see my off-list reply.
>
> Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose information,
> then I looked up carefullyfor my video card, but I did not find anything
> about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clearabout R*** things , is
> it chipset name?

No it's the gpu family. Did you look at this link on James' page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

Above each table it tells you which RXXX you should use, if your card is
listed below.
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Lavender
 
Default Can't build firmware into kernel

>No*it's*the*gpu*family.**Did*you*look*at*this*lin k*on*James'*page:
>
>**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units
>
>Above*each*table*it*tells*you*which*RXXX*you*shou ld*use,*if*your*card*is*
>listed*below.
>
Oh, I should use RV710, that is really a long distance from R600/R700.So should I add RV710_rlc.bin into External firmware blobs ?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org