Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 AM
Francisco Ares

Default : no sound on upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 - using pulse audio

Thank you all who replied my last messages.

Now I am back to plain alsa, but no two programs can use it at the same time. Alsa drivers are built on the kernel, and I have the following packages installed:

media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0

media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10
media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9

The two first ones were puled by emerging "alsa-utils".

I have lost "/etc/asound.conf", and I guess this is the key.* Looking to which package it belongs to, "equery" found none. I have put a quite simple version (as explained here: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device)::

pcm.!default { type hw card Intel }
ctl.!default { type hw card Intel }

Any hints on how can I get all programs to mix up as before?

Thanks again
Francisco
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Dale

<http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device%29>::

pcm.!default { type hw card Intel }
ctl.!default { type hw card Intel }

Any hints on how can I get all programs to mix up as before?

Thanks again
Francisco

--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

I build my audio drivers into my kernel. I also have these alsa related
packages installed:

root@fireball / # equery list *alsa*
* Searching for *alsa* ...
[IP-] [ ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0
[IP-] [ ] media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10
[IP-] [ ] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.24:0
[IP-] [ ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9
[IP-] [ ] media-sound/alsamixergui-0.9.0.1.2-r4:0
root@fireball / #

See if yours looks something like this. I can watch videos and other
programs play sound at the same time.

Dale

:-) :-)

Miss the compile output? Hint: