Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

Default PRNG is not seeded

Hi

when i restart sshd I get PRNG is not seeded

# /etc/init.d/sshd restart
PRNG is not seeded
*#

No idea as what is going on

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Alex Schuster

Kaushal Shriyan writes:

> when i restart sshd I get PRNG is not seeded
>
> # /etc/init.d/sshd restart
> PRNG is not seeded
> #
>
> No idea as what is going on

I can reproduce this behaviour when I rename both /dev/random
and /dev/urandom. Are they perhaps both missing on your system?

Wonko

Old 03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:17:07 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> when i restart sshd I get PRNG is not seeded
>
> # /etc/init.d/sshd restart
> PRNG is not seeded

Does /dev/urandom exist? What are it's permissions?

--
Neil Bothwick

Never eat more than you can lift.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:54 PM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:17:07 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> when i restart sshd I get PRNG is not seeded

> # /etc/init.d/sshd restart

> PRNG is not seeded

Does /dev/urandom exist? What are it's permissions?

--

Neil Bothwick

Never eat more than you can lift.

Hi

Thanks for the clue,

Both the files /dev/random and /dev/urandom are missing in my system.

How do i go ahead in fixing this issue

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Dale

<mailto:neil@digimed.co.uk>> wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:17:07 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> when i restart sshd I get PRNG is not seeded
>
> # /etc/init.d/sshd restart
> PRNG is not seeded

Does /dev/urandom exist? What are it's permissions?

--
Neil Bothwick

Never eat more than you can lift.

Hi

Thanks for the clue,

Both the files /dev/random and /dev/urandom are missing in my system.

How do i go ahead in fixing this issue

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

I just noticed this on mine. Do you have the service urandom in the
boot runlevel?

root@smoker / # eselect rc list boot
Init scripts to be started by runlevel boot
bootmisc
checkfs
checkroot
clock
consolefont
hostname
keymaps
localmount
modules
net.lo
rmnologin
serial
urandom
root@smoker / #

That may help. If it is there, try restarting it and see if you get any
errors. Make sure you don't have anything important running just in
case it stops other services when restarting this service.

Dale

:-) :-)