Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Fei Liu

Default problem with 2 partition installation from gentoo minimal system

Hello Group, I spend a whole day trying to get this to work. Here is my
setup

/dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 swap

grub is installed using the 'root (hd0,0)' and 'setup (hd0)', no problem.

emerge kernel-sources worked fine.

However everytime the system boots, it reports the VFS panic (no root
system found problem). The kernel has built in ext2 and ext3 support.
The error hint is to supply root option during boot, but my boot command
is this

kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1

Is there something missing that I didn't think of that's causing the
failures? I followed the steps outlined here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

except I am using a 2 partition setup.

Fei

Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:40:10 -0400, Fei Liu wrote:

> However everytime the system boots, it reports the VFS panic (no root
> system found problem). The kernel has built in ext2 and ext3 support.
> The error hint is to supply root option during boot, but my boot
> command is this
> kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1

Do you have support for your drive controller built into the kernel (not
as a module)?

--
Neil Bothwick

If this were an actual tagline, it would be funny.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Alex Schuster

Fei Liu writes:

> Hello Group, I spend a whole day trying to get this to work. Here is my
> setup
>
> /dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 0 1
> /dev/sda2 swap
>
> grub is installed using the 'root (hd0,0)' and 'setup (hd0)', no problem.
>
> emerge kernel-sources worked fine.
>
> However everytime the system boots, it reports the VFS panic (no root
> system found problem). The kernel has built in ext2 and ext3 support.

Does it also have the right IDE drivers? This /dev/sda drive is SATA I
assume, is this configured correctly in the kernel, and is the SCSI stuff
also compiled directly into the kerne? Do you see kernel messages
identifying your IDE chipset, does "sda" appear there somewhere?

Wonko

Old 03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Fei Liu wrote:
> Hello Group, I spend a whole day trying to get this to work. Here
> is my setup
>
> /dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime
> 0 1 /dev/sda2 swap
>
> grub is installed using the 'root (hd0,0)' and 'setup (hd0)', no
> problem.
>
> emerge kernel-sources worked fine.
>
> However everytime the system boots, it reports the VFS panic (no
> root system found problem). The kernel has built in ext2 and ext3
> support. The error hint is to supply root option during boot, but
> my boot command is this
> kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1

Please post your whole grub config.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Fei Liu

Fei Liu wrote:
Hello Group, I spend a whole day trying to get this to work. Here is
my setup

/dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 swap
grub is installed using the 'root (hd0,0)' and 'setup (hd0)', no problem.

emerge kernel-sources worked fine.

However everytime the system boots, it reports the VFS panic (no root
system found problem). The kernel has built in ext2 and ext3 support.
The error hint is to supply root option during boot, but my boot
command is this

kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1

Is there something missing that I didn't think of that's causing the
failures? I followed the steps outlined here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

except I am using a 2 partition setup.

Fei

Here is the complete grub.conf file:
more /boot/grub/grub.conf
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/message

title 2.6.24.4-default
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts

/etc/fstab:
#/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
#/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom audo noauto,ro 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0

shm /dev/shm tmpfs
nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

I am looking into the SCSI file system issue.

Fei

Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Fei Liu

Here is the complete grub.conf file:
more /boot/grub/grub.conf
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/message

title 2.6.24.4-default
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts

/etc/fstab:
#/dev/BOOT /boot ext2
noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda1 / ext3
noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 none swap
sw 0 0
#/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom audo
noauto,ro 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
noauto 0 0

shm /dev/shm tmpfs
nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

I am looking into the SCSI file system issue.

Fei

Error messages:
md: ... autorun DONE
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

There is one more thing, this is a vmware machine so the harddrive is a
scsi harddrive.

Fei

Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 AM
"Greg Bowser"

<snip>
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available

partitions:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on

unknown-block(0,0)
</snip> (hey, I remembered not to top post for once!)

Not that this hasn't been said, but this is almost definitely a device driver issue. In my experience (and I've had this and similar errors on many systems), when it's a file system problem (i.e. having the correct FS driver compiled in), you get unknown-block(x,y) where x,y are both nonzero.

That said, something definitely needs to be changed with your kernel config. I run several vmware servers (the free server), and have gentoo VMs on those. If you'd like, I can post my .config for you to compare. Or I could just look through the scsi options I have configured.

When I configured my VMs, I remember reading the following article: (along with some trial and error, of course.)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_VMware_in_Windows_NT/2K/XP#Kernel_Configuration

-- Greg

Postscript: As this is an error mouting your root file system, the fstab, which is stored on the root file sysem, doesn't matter at this point in the boot process.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Fei Liu

Fei Liu wrote:

[...]

I finally found this page and got this stuff to work, the catch is
'vmware' specific feature.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_VMware_in_Windows_NT/2K/XP#Kernel_Options

Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 16:19:58 Alex Schuster wrote:

> Does it also have the right IDE drivers? This /dev/sda drive is SATA I
> assume, is this configured correctly in the kernel, and is the SCSI stuff
> also compiled directly into the kerne?

On my laptop I sometimes have to switch AHCI on or off in the BIOS as well.
For example, the Gentoo installation boot disk won't boot unless I switch
AHCI off first.

--
Rgds
Peter