Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
"Mikie"

Default Boot Gentoo to clean windows

Does anyone know of a product (hopefully free) that can clean a Windows
PC while booted on Gentoo?

I guess I need a good malware tool that runs on Linux and cleans NTFS
volumes.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 schrieb ext Mikie:

> Does anyone know of a product (hopefully free) that can clean a Windows
> PC while booted on Gentoo?
>
> I guess I need a good malware tool that runs on Linux and cleans NTFS
> volumes.

What do you mean with "clean"? Remove Windows? Use fdisk.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Davi Vidal

Em Wednesday 26 March 2008, Mikie escreveu:
> Does anyone know of a product (hopefully free) that can clean a Windows
> PC while booted on Gentoo?
>
> I guess I need a good malware tool that runs on Linux and cleans NTFS
> volumes.

AFAIK, AVG runs on Linux. And you can use ntfs-3g.

Best regards,
--
Davi Vidal

Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 AM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Mikie wrote:

Does anyone know of a product (hopefully free) that can clean a Windows
PC while booted on Gentoo?

I guess I need a good malware tool that runs on Linux and cleans NTFS
volumes.

Thanks.

FWIW, AntiVir, Bitdefender, and F-Prot run quite well on Linux, and each
has BOTH Linux and Windows Trojan and virus signatures. So you can
install these and scan your windows box, and then scan your Linux
box/downloads for malware (e.g. openoffice files, media files, etc.).

Add Dazuko, and you can get real-time scanning of your Linux box while
downloading/compiling software.

(AntiVir and Bitdefender each usually score high on the
antivirus/antiTrojan tests run for Windows bugs.

Bitdefender and F-Prot are ebuilds; AntiVir is available as a Linux source

hth

Old 03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Florian Philipp

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 22:13 -0400, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> Mikie wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a product (hopefully free) that can clean a Windows
> > PC while booted on Gentoo?
> >
> > I guess I need a good malware tool that runs on Linux and cleans NTFS
> > volumes.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> FWIW, AntiVir, Bitdefender, and F-Prot run quite well on Linux, and each
> has BOTH Linux and Windows Trojan and virus signatures. So you can
> install these and scan your windows box, and then scan your Linux
> box/downloads for malware (e.g. openoffice files, media files, etc.).
>
> Add Dazuko, and you can get real-time scanning of your Linux box while
> downloading/compiling software.

This is getting OT but I still want to ask:
Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want to
hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security fixes for
your software are the way to go for fighting virae on linux.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2008 schrieb Florian Philipp:

> Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want to
> hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security fixes for
> your software are the way to go for fighting virae on linux.

The main purpose is to remove virae from _Windows_ drives. You boot from a
Linux LiveCD, like german c't magazin's "Knoppicillin", mount your NTFS
partition(s) and clean them.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
"Conway S. Smith"

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:18:57 +0100
"Dirk Heinrichs" <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2008 schrieb Florian Philipp:
>
> > Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want
> > to hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security
> > fixes for your software are the way to go for fighting virae on
> > linux.
>
> The main purpose is to remove virae from _Windows_ drives. You boot
> from a Linux LiveCD, like german c't magazin's "Knoppicillin",
> mount your NTFS partition(s) and clean them.

Or to catch & remove a virus before it reaches the Windows machines -
say with a Linux file or email server on a network w/ Windows
machines.

Conway S. Smith

Old 03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Dale

Florian Philipp wrote:

This is getting OT but I still want to ask:
Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want to
hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security fixes for
your software are the way to go for fighting virae on linux.

I have not ran a anti-virus here for years and no problems so far. I
don't think Linux has this problem except for the rootkit thing. It
seems Linux is just pretty much immune to this sort of thing.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Dale wrote:
> Florian Philipp wrote:
> > This is getting OT but I still want to ask:
> > Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want
> > to hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security
> > fixes for your software are the way to go for fighting virae on
> > linux.
>
> I have not ran a anti-virus here for years and no problems so far. I
> don't think Linux has this problem except for the rootkit thing. It
> seems Linux is just pretty much immune to this sort of thing.

Not really immune as such, just well protected. It's very hard to gain
remote access as a user and then find an exploit to elevate to root
priviledges. The devastation wrought on the internet by zombie windows
machines is by and large not really possible on Linux to anything like
the same degree - if an attacker dupes a user into running some malware
it tends to run as the user which limits what the malware can do i.e.
no ports open below 1024 etc etc.

BUT some points to keep in mind:

1. Linux us still small fry in the desktop market, and not really a
target for malware scumbags. Why should they? It's much harder to do
especially when Redmond's finest code in the wild is such juicy low
hanging fruit. This is bound to change, just a matter of time

2. There are some Linuxes out there that run everything as root.
Xandros, I'm especially looking at you here. Apparently the Xandros
devs like the way Redmond does things, right down to the brain dead
design decisions <sigh> human stupidity is apparently boundless

3. If an attacker gains access to your machine, he can trash your
personal stuff just for spite. This is catastrophic to the average user
even though it leaves the rest of the internet just as it was

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

True, but I did say 'pretty much'. Nothing is completely immune. A old
Commodore Vic-20 can be hacked if you can connect it to the net.
Although it is not fast enough to do much harm. LOL

I also agree that as Linux grows, so will the people trying to hack
them. As long as there are people using Linux that don't keep there box
fairly secure, it will happen. I don't think it will be as easy as the
finest Redmond software but they will try. If nothings else, they will
try common passwords and there will always be some idiot with their
password set to love, sex, god and other easy to guess ones. I like my
password tho. It's numbers and letters and has no meaning whatsoever.
Not even a birth date in it.

I was not aware of #2. Sounds like a bunch of Redmond whatabees. o_O

Dale