Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition

I'm giving Gentoo another try, having been using Ubuntu for quite a while, and more recently Mint.* I would like to be able to access Mint until the Gentoo system is working as I'd like it.*

I have gotten through the install, for the most part, up to grub.* I can see how to edit the grub.conf file for my Gentoo partition.* However, it isn't clear to me from the examples how to write a grub.conf entry for Mint's root (/) partition, on /dev/sda8. I am asking for advice on writing the grub.conf file.

*Here are the various partitions involved:

*** Gentoo:**********
****** /boot***** /dev/sda1
****** /*********** /dev/sda2

** Mint*** (/boot is not separate)
****** /********** /dev/sda8

The Mint kernel is using an initramfs, while I have manually configured the kernel on Gentoo, at least for now.

Grub 2 is not transparent to me.* The kernel is:

*** /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-13-generic

the initrd-img file is:

** /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-13-generic

My grub.conf file for gentoo would look like this:

###########
default 0
timeout 30
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Original

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/sda2

I have a few other questions of a more or less minor nature.* Perhaps better to ask them separately.

Alan Davis
****