Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Harry Putnam

Default vbox vm no boot

Fresh install of gentoo as guest vm on win7

Configured kernel, fdisked like so:

/dev/sda1 boot
/dev/sda2 swap
/dev/sda3 /

set boot as bootable

emerged various things...
emerged grub and ran it

grub
root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0,0)
bla bla
[...]
succeeded

Edited fstab

/dev/sda1 /boot [...]
/dev/sda2 swap [...]
/dev/sda3 / [...]
[...]

But, when I remove the livecd and attempt to boot from hdd, its a
total failure:

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted

So it appears that as has always been the case, there is some PITA
stopping up the works.

So what is the trick here... one googled result says to boot with
something containing gparted and set the boot partition
bootable.. that cfdisk doesn't work.

I used fdisk... is there anything to that claim.. or better yet what
do I need to do here.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:53:40 -0600
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Fresh install of gentoo as guest vm on win7
>
> Configured kernel, fdisked like so:
>
> /dev/sda1 boot
> /dev/sda2 swap
> /dev/sda3 /
>
> set boot as bootable
>
> emerged various things...
> emerged grub and ran it
>
> grub
> root (hd0,0)
>
> setup (hd0,0)
> bla bla
> [...]
> succeeded
>

> Edited fstab
>
> /dev/sda1 /boot [...]
> /dev/sda2 swap [...]
> /dev/sda3 / [...]
> [...]
>
> But, when I remove the livecd and attempt to boot from hdd, its a
> total failure:
>
> FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted
>
> So it appears that as has always been the case, there is some PITA
> stopping up the works.
>
> So what is the trick here... one googled result says to boot with
> something containing gparted and set the boot partition
> bootable.. that cfdisk doesn't work.
>
> I used fdisk... is there anything to that claim.. or better yet what
> do I need to do here.

A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same setup. Let's
examine the host settings first as that affects booting too.

What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on the VBox
host for that vm?

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Harry Putnam

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same setup. Let's
> examine the host settings first as that affects booting too.
>
> What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on the VBox
> host for that vm?

I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:

www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi

I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3 and on
Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there were no other
choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was ok like that... now I
see the dropdown on Storage has gotten populated since I last tried
it.

I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same
failure.

Maybe those are not related to the problem?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Harry Putnam

> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same setup. Let's
>> examine the host settings first as that affects booting too.
>>
>> What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on the VBox
>> host for that vm?
>
> I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:
>
> www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi
>
> I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3 and on
> Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there were no other
> choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was ok like that... now I
> see the dropdown on Storage has gotten populated since I last tried
> it.
>
> I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same
> failure.
>
> Maybe those are not related to the problem?

Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with
gparted worked... Now bootup starts. But the same old sorry bs I have
always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now present and
accounted for...

www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi

Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Dec 5, 2011 7:19 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> > [...]

> >> A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same setup. Let's

> >> examine the host settings first as that affects booting too.

> >> What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on the VBox

> >> host for that vm?

> > I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:

> > * *www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi

> > I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3 and on

> > Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. *At first there were no other

> > choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was ok like that... now I

> > see the dropdown on Storage has gotten populated since I last tried

> > it.

> > I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same

> > failure.

> > Maybe those are not related to the problem?

> Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with

> gparted worked... Now bootup starts. *But the same old sorry bs I have

> always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now present and

> accounted for...

> www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi

Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)

Rgds,

Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Harry Putnam

Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> writes:

> On Dec 5, 2011 7:19 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
>> >
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:
>> >
>> > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi
>> >
>> > I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3 and on
>> > Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there were no other
>> > choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was ok like that... now I
>> > see the dropdown on Storage has gotten populated since I last tried
>> > it.
>> >
>> > I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same
>> > failure.
>> >
>> > Maybe those are not related to the problem?
>>
>> Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with
>> gparted worked... Now bootup starts. But the same old sorry bs I have
>> always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now present and
>> accounted for...
>>
>> www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi
>>

> Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)

Yes it is, and its missing because I have no idea what it wants. Do you?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Dec 5, 2011 7:55 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> writes:

> >> Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with

> >> gparted worked... Now bootup starts. *But the same old sorry bs I have

> >> always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now present and

> >> accounted for...

> >> www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi

> > Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)

> Yes it is, and its missing because I have no idea what it wants. *Do you?

I'm still on my way to the office, so I can't for sure tell you what,* but IIRC if you use Vbox's default settings for a Gentoo Linux VM, it's ICH9.

Rgds,

Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 07:34:46 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2011 7:19 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >
> > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
> >
> > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:
> > >
> > > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi
> > >
> > > I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3
> > > and on Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there were
> > > no other choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was ok like
> > > that... now I see the dropdown on Storage has gotten populated
> > > since I last tried it.
> > >
> > > I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same
> > > failure.
> > >
> > > Maybe those are not related to the problem?
> >
> > Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with
> > gparted worked... Now bootup starts. But the same old sorry bs I
> > have always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now
> > present and accounted for...
> >
> > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi
> >

> Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)

I'm not convinced. The error is:

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted

That's a BIOS error, the vm's kernel and it's drivers have not yet been
loaded, never mind running when that happens. In this respect a VM
works just like physical hardware, so what does one do with that error
on physical hardware? you check the BIOS settings.

Harry, start the VM and engage the BIOS setup, see what it has been
configured to do wrt booting.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 12-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 08:01:57 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2011 7:55 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >
> > Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> writes:

> Let's

> > > Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)
> >
> > Yes it is, and its missing because I have no idea what it wants.
> > Do you?
> >

> I'm still on my way to the office, so I can't for sure tell you
> what, but IIRC if you use Vbox's default settings for a Gentoo Linux
> VM, it's ICH9.

At least on a Linux host, PIIX works fine for Linux guests. Performance
sucks rather majorly[1], but it does at least work.

[1] "sucks" meaning lots of IOwaiting resulting in top showing
excessive load figures on the host. Probably a case of PIIX not being
optimized and running very generic, slow, code.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Dec 5, 2011 8:01 AM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2011 7:55 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> > Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> writes:

> > Yes it is, and its missing because I have no idea what it wants. *Do you?

> I'm still on my way to the office, so I can't for sure tell you what,* but IIRC if you use Vbox's default settings for a Gentoo Linux VM, it's ICH9.

Here's my suggestion :

1. Go to http://www.kernel.org/doc/menuconfig/x86.html

2. Search for "ICH"

3. Activate / enable the setting in make menuconfig

4. The usual steps : make, make modules_install, copy kernel to /boot, edit menu.lst

Good luck!

Rgds,