Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Francisco Ares

Default no sound on upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 - using pulse audio

Hi,

I have just upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 and after that I was unable to hear the sound of videoclips from YouTube, for instance.

I remember there was a little trick to make past versions of FF to work with pulse audio (that I use so VirtualBox machines can also play sounds), but can't find what it was.

Any hints, please?

Thanks
Francisco
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Claudio Roberto França Pereira

$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

Do you have this?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 PM

On , Claudio Roberto França Pereira <spideybr@gmail.com> wrote:
> $ cat /etc/asound.conf
> pcm.pulse {
> * * * *type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.pulse {
> * * * *type pulse
> }
>
> pcm.!default {
> * * * *type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
> * * * *type pulse
> }
>
> Do you have this?

Yes, and also /etc/firefox/firefoxrc containing FIREFOX_DSP="padsp"

Thanks
Francisco

Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Claudio Roberto França Pereira

> Yes, and also /etc/firefox/firefoxrc containing FIREFOX_DSP="padsp"
>
> Thanks
> Francisco

I can't reproduce this. I'm using ~amd64, firefox 8, pulseaudio 1.1.
Do you have multiple sound cards or sound output devices? Maybe the
sound is going to another sink that the one you expected? I'm under
KDE, and KMix have a cool "extension" by PA that let me direct streams
online to the sink I wish.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 PM
walt