Old 12-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Default cleanup_tmp_dir()

Hi,

how can I permanently and for all times and resistant against all kind
of updates disable the function cleanup_tmp_dir() in
/etc/init.d/bootmisc and similiar function, which automatically kill
files???

best regards,
mcc

Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:47:40 +0100
meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how can I permanently and for all times and resistant against all kind
> of updates disable the function cleanup_tmp_dir() in
> /etc/init.d/bootmisc and similiar function, which automatically kill
> files???

In /etc/conf.d/bootmisc:

# List of /tmp directories we should clean up
clean_tmp_dirs="/tmp"

# Should we wipe the tmp paths completely or just selectively remove
known # locks / files / etc... ?
wipe_tmp="YES"

Set those variables to suit your needs.

But one must ask, why? The whole point of /tmp is a scratch pad temp
dir where files are not expected to survive past successive invocations
of the same program and are definitely not expected to survive a
reboot. If this is an issue for you, something is wrong with the code
you run and you should reconfigure that code to use something other
than /tmp.

To the best of my knowledge bootmisc only ever runs in the first
startup after a reboot.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Philip Webb

111204 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:47:40 +0100 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>> how can I permanently disable the function cleanup_tmp_dir()
>> in /etc/init.d/bootmisc and similiar function ?
> ... why ? The whole point of /tmp is a scratch pad
> where files are not expected to survive past successive invocations
> of the same program and are definitely not expected to survive a reboot.
> If this is an issue for you, you should reconfigure that code
> to use something other than /tmp.

That can happen, eg if you use Mutt as your mail client
& leave the default tempdir in ~/.muttrc as /tmp ,
when your system crashes (eg power failure) in the middle of a msg,
you will have to start writing the msg all over again.
The way to avoid this is to change .muttrc to 'set tmpdir="/var/tmp"',
so that you can recall the .swp file & rescue what you were writing.
Perhaps the OP has some problem of that kind & that is the solution.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb