Old 12-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Harry Putnam

Default kernel .config that works for gentoo as guest vm

Installing fresh gentoo in guest vm on win7

Before I even try to configure a kernel, because I've been down this
road a few times, and so far have always had trouble getting a kernel
config that boots first time on gentoo vm.

The vm is a gentoo guest installed with Vbox on windows 7.

Its been a while since I've done this but I recall having trouble
getting the right drivers so that disks are properly discovered during
boot.

I think this kind of config is pretty generic but still manage to get
it wrong repeatedly.

Can anyone post a kernel .config that is known to boot a gentoo Vbox
vm installed on windows 7. Or is there a generic config that will do
that? I've tried genkernel in the past too, and still no boot on a vm.

I guess it would be kernel-3.1.4.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Dec 4, 2011 11:40 PM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Installing fresh gentoo in guest vm on win7

> Before I even try to configure a kernel, because I've been down this

> road a few times, and so far have always had trouble getting a kernel

> config that boots first time on gentoo vm.

> The vm is a gentoo guest installed with *Vbox on windows 7.

> Its been a while since I've done this but I recall having trouble

> getting the right drivers so that disks are properly discovered during

> boot.

> I think this kind of config is pretty generic but still manage to get

> it wrong repeatedly.

> Can anyone post a kernel .config that is known to boot a gentoo Vbox

> vm installed on windows 7. *Or is there a generic config that will do

> that? *I've tried genkernel in the past too, and still no boot on a vm.

> I guess it would be kernel-3.1.4.

Did it fail halfway during boot, or was it completely unable to load the kernel?

Rgds,

Old 12-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Leho Kraav

grab my 3.0.2 virtualbox config [1] and do make oldconfig on it

[1]: http://codepad.org/QreqHSMs

Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Harry Putnam

Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> writes:

> On Dec 4, 2011 11:40 PM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>> Installing fresh gentoo in guest vm on win7
>>
>> Before I even try to configure a kernel, because I've been down this
>> road a few times, and so far have always had trouble getting a kernel
>> config that boots first time on gentoo vm.
>>
>> The vm is a gentoo guest installed with Vbox on windows 7.
>>
>> Its been a while since I've done this but I recall having trouble
>> getting the right drivers so that disks are properly discovered during
>> boot.
>>
>> I think this kind of config is pretty generic but still manage to get
>> it wrong repeatedly.
>>
>> Can anyone post a kernel .config that is known to boot a gentoo Vbox
>> vm installed on windows 7. Or is there a generic config that will do
>> that? I've tried genkernel in the past too, and still no boot on a vm.
>>
>> I guess it would be kernel-3.1.4.
>>

> Did it fail halfway during boot, or was it completely unable to load the
> kernel?

Well, like I said, I haven't even tried yet. But last time it booted
to the point of recognizing my disks and thats what failed. So the
correct mod for vm disks was missing I guess.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Harry Putnam

Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> writes:

> grab my 3.0.2 virtualbox config [1] and do make oldconfig on it
>
> [1]: http://codepad.org/QreqHSMs

Thank you.. that is exactly what I was after... I'll be trying it out
in the next few hours.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Leho Kraav

On Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:20:02 PM UTC+2, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Leho Kraav <le...@kraav.com> writes:
>
> > grab my 3.0.2 virtualbox config [1] and do make oldconfig on it
> >
> > [1]: http://codepad.org/QreqHSMs
>
> Thank you.. that is exactly what I was after... I'll be trying it out
> in the next few hours.

I'm a lean n mean guy Harry. Took extra effort to disable everything not needed. So pay attention to filesystems selection etc.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Harry Putnam

Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> writes:

> On Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:20:02 PM UTC+2, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Leho Kraav <le...@kraav.com> writes:
>>
>> > grab my 3.0.2 virtualbox config [1] and do make oldconfig on it
>> >
>> > [1]: http://codepad.org/QreqHSMs
>>
>> Thank you.. that is exactly what I was after... I'll be trying it out
>> in the next few hours.
>
> I'm a lean n mean guy Harry. Took extra effort to disable everything
> not needed. So pay attention to filesystems selection etc.

Good man, yes I noticed it was lean... I trimmed even more. I hope I
haven't shot myself in the foot... I'll be giving it its maiden voyage
in a while.