FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Indi
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

Howdy y'all,

About a month or so ago I did an update which seems to have caused
portage to lose the ability to work verbosely.
Ever since it looks like this:
<paste>
idd@gh:[~]9:07:23 $ sudo emerge -vauND adobe-flash

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1 [2.14.1] USE="nls -debug -gd -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 150 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.22 USE="nls zlib%* -multislot -multitarget -static-libs -test -vanilla" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] dev-libs/openssl-1.0.0e-r1 [1.0.0e] USE="bindist kerberos sse2 zlib -gmp -rfc3779 -static-libs% -test" 3,950 kB
[ebuild U ] net-misc/curl-7.23.1 [7.22.0] USE="ipv6 ssl threads -ares -gnutls -idn -kerberos -ldap -nss -ssh% -static-libs -test (-libssh2%)" 2,321 kB
[ebuild U ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.25 [2.1.23-r6] USE="berkdb openldap ssl -authdaemond -gdbm -java -kerberos -ldapdb% -mysql -pam -postgres -sample -sqlite% -srp -static-libs% -urandom (-crypt%*) (-ntlm_unsupported_patch%)" 5,088 kB
[ebuild U ] dev-vcs/git-1.7.8 [1.7.8_rc4] USE="blksha1 cgi curl cvs iconv perl python subversion threads webdav -doc -emacs -gtk (-ppcsha1) -tk -xinetd" 3,941 kB

Total: 6 packages (5 upgrades, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 15,448 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Starting parallel fetch
>>> Emerging (1 of 6) sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1
>>> Jobs: 0 of 6 complete, 1 running Load avg: 2.16, 1.66, 1.10

</paste>

Remerged python, verified the right python via eselect, remerge portage, etc etc etc etc
I just can't seem to get proper output from emerge anymore no matter what. Other than that
everything is working fine, but I do need to see actual output.

Anyone know what to do to fix this?

TIA!

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
 
Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi,

that is not the verbose flag, but silent-build. If you want the old
behaviour back, you can add

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

to your make.conf

So long

Hinnerk

On 03.12.2011 15:23, Indi wrote:
> Howdy y'all,
>
> About a month or so ago I did an update which seems to have caused
> portage to lose the ability to work verbosely. Ever since it looks
> like this: <paste> idd@gh:[~]9:07:23 $ sudo emerge -vauND
> adobe-flash
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done! [ebuild U ]
> sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1 [2.14.1] USE="nls -debug -gd -glibc-omitfp
> (-hardened) (-multilib) -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 150 kB
> [ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.22 USE="nls zlib%*
> -multislot -multitarget -static-libs -test -vanilla" 0 kB [ebuild
> U ] dev-libs/openssl-1.0.0e-r1 [1.0.0e] USE="bindist kerberos sse2
> zlib -gmp -rfc3779 -static-libs% -test" 3,950 kB [ebuild U ]
> net-misc/curl-7.23.1 [7.22.0] USE="ipv6 ssl threads -ares -gnutls
> -idn -kerberos -ldap -nss -ssh% -static-libs -test (-libssh2%)"
> 2,321 kB [ebuild U ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.25 [2.1.23-r6]
> USE="berkdb openldap ssl -authdaemond -gdbm -java -kerberos
> -ldapdb% -mysql -pam -postgres -sample -sqlite% -srp -static-libs%
> -urandom (-crypt%*) (-ntlm_unsupported_patch%)" 5,088 kB [ebuild
> U ] dev-vcs/git-1.7.8 [1.7.8_rc4] USE="blksha1 cgi curl cvs iconv
> perl python subversion threads webdav -doc -emacs -gtk (-ppcsha1)
> -tk -xinetd" 3,941 kB
>
> Total: 6 packages (5 upgrades, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads:
> 15,448 kB
>
> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
>>>> Verifying ebuild manifests Starting parallel fetch Emerging
>>>> (1 of 6) sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1 Jobs: 0 of 6 complete, 1
>>>> running Load avg: 2.16, 1.66, 1.10
>
> </paste>
>
> Remerged python, verified the right python via eselect, remerge
> portage, etc etc etc etc I just can't seem to get proper output
> from emerge anymore no matter what. Other than that everything is
> working fine, but I do need to see actual output.
>
> Anyone know what to do to fix this?
>
> TIA!
>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.18 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJO2jJSAAoJEJwwOFaNFkYchdcIAMctrVsjKm pbLlCXDUNsFL20
/ruew4FRY8IWPe7HagAwkWbenHKXpTIomPF2LKb4U7HjHc9vS/mIggwbnLuIS8QU
f2DXMhVws1m6H3c0o8fRL/d99kQUcRhtIl6uk7GJVlh13KLsDd5NxxDHXpcEqWtA
Ch9GIQOQo+phs4pNysAkUpTfRyuEkoe99nLL8+vxc31vFZ2/czRac8zhyzywSk5l
N4dlHgknOLVD4w/D4Sw4rTVBJgupO5Y6VxHV5iq2m4jdUWVUmQsrwSMXVFVOU5SJ
+XZiv7qa6jlf2YUvpxEfombzUgd14Y+lhAjprLOq/BzbUfrH1btYMmhaTByDcAM=
=2TOV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Frank Steinmetzger
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 09:23:48AM -0500, Indi wrote:

> About a month or so ago I did an update which seems to have caused
> portage to lose the ability to work verbosely.
> Ever since it looks like this:
> <paste>
> idd@gh:[~]9:07:23 $ sudo emerge -vauND adobe-flash
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1 [2.14.1] USE="nls -debug -gd -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 150 kB
> [ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.22 USE="nls zlib%* -multislot -multitarget -static-libs -test -vanilla" 0 kB
> [ebuild U ] dev-libs/openssl-1.0.0e-r1 [1.0.0e] USE="bindist kerberos sse2 zlib -gmp -rfc3779 -static-libs% -test" 3,950 kB
> [ebuild U ] net-misc/curl-7.23.1 [7.22.0] USE="ipv6 ssl threads -ares -gnutls -idn -kerberos -ldap -nss -ssh% -static-libs -test (-libssh2%)" 2,321 kB
> [ebuild U ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.25 [2.1.23-r6] USE="berkdb openldap ssl -authdaemond -gdbm -java -kerberos -ldapdb% -mysql -pam -postgres -sample -sqlite% -srp -static-libs% -urandom (-crypt%*) (-ntlm_unsupported_patch%)" 5,088 kB
> [ebuild U ] dev-vcs/git-1.7.8 [1.7.8_rc4] USE="blksha1 cgi curl cvs iconv perl python subversion threads webdav -doc -emacs -gtk (-ppcsha1) -tk -xinetd" 3,941 kB
>
> Total: 6 packages (5 upgrades, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 15,448 kB
>
> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
> >>> Verifying ebuild manifests
> >>> Starting parallel fetch
> >>> Emerging (1 of 6) sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1
> >>> Jobs: 0 of 6 complete, 1 running Load avg: 2.16, 1.66, 1.10
>
> </paste>
>
> Remerged python, verified the right python via eselect, remerge portage, etc etc etc etc
> I just can't seem to get proper output from emerge anymore no matter what. Other than that
> everything is working fine, but I do need to see actual output.
>
> Anyone know what to do to fix this?

Did you enable parallel builds? I.e. added --jobs and/or --load related options
to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS? In that case emerge uses this kind of output, because
obviously you can’t display multiple builds at the same time in one window.

The -v flag, to my knowledge, only affects the output of -p and -a, adding
information like used and changed use flags and file size to download for each
package to be installed.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

“We all know Linux is great … it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.”
– Linus Torvalds
 
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Mick
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On Saturday 03 Dec 2011 16:45:19 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 09:23:48AM -0500, Indi wrote:
> > About a month or so ago I did an update which seems to have caused
> > portage to lose the ability to work verbosely.
> > Ever since it looks like this:
> > <paste>
> > idd@gh:[~]9:07:23 $ sudo emerge -vauND adobe-flash
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > [ebuild U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1 [2.14.1] USE="nls -debug -gd
> > -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 150
> > kB [ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.22 USE="nls zlib%* -multislot
> > -multitarget -static-libs -test -vanilla" 0 kB [ebuild U ]
> > dev-libs/openssl-1.0.0e-r1 [1.0.0e] USE="bindist kerberos sse2 zlib -gmp
> > -rfc3779 -static-libs% -test" 3,950 kB [ebuild U ]
> > net-misc/curl-7.23.1 [7.22.0] USE="ipv6 ssl threads -ares -gnutls -idn
> > -kerberos -ldap -nss -ssh% -static-libs -test (-libssh2%)" 2,321 kB
> > [ebuild U ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.25 [2.1.23-r6] USE="berkdb
> > openldap ssl -authdaemond -gdbm -java -kerberos -ldapdb% -mysql -pam
> > -postgres -sample -sqlite% -srp -static-libs% -urandom (-crypt%*)
> > (-ntlm_unsupported_patch%)" 5,088 kB [ebuild U ] dev-vcs/git-1.7.8
> > [1.7.8_rc4] USE="blksha1 cgi curl cvs iconv perl python subversion
> > threads webdav -doc -emacs -gtk (-ppcsha1) -tk -xinetd" 3,941 kB
> >
> > Total: 6 packages (5 upgrades, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 15,448 kB
> >
> > Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
> >
> > >>> Verifying ebuild manifests
> > >>> Starting parallel fetch
> > >>> Emerging (1 of 6) sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r1
> > >>> Jobs: 0 of 6 complete, 1 running Load avg: 2.16, 1.66,
> > >>> 1.10
> >
> > </paste>
> >
> > Remerged python, verified the right python via eselect, remerge portage,
> > etc etc etc etc I just can't seem to get proper output from emerge
> > anymore no matter what. Other than that everything is working fine, but
> > I do need to see actual output.
> >
> > Anyone know what to do to fix this?
>
> Did you enable parallel builds? I.e. added --jobs and/or --load related
> options to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS? In that case emerge uses this kind of
> output, because obviously you can’t display multiple builds at the same
> time in one window.
>
> The -v flag, to my knowledge, only affects the output of -p and -a, adding
> information like used and changed use flags and file size to download for
> each package to be installed.

I've got both -j and -l set in my MAKEOPTS and portage is quite verbose as it
has always been. I don't know if EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS has a different effect.
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Frank Steinmetzger
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 08:27:33AM +0000, Mick wrote:

> > > Remerged python, verified the right python via eselect, remerge portage,
> > > etc etc etc etc I just can't seem to get proper output from emerge
> > > anymore no matter what. Other than that everything is working fine, but
> > > I do need to see actual output.
> > >
> > > Anyone know what to do to fix this?
> >
> > Did you enable parallel builds? I.e. added --jobs and/or --load related
> > options to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS? In that case emerge uses this kind of
> > output, because obviously you can’t display multiple builds at the same
> > time in one window.
> >
> > The -v flag, to my knowledge, only affects the output of -p and -a, adding
> > information like used and changed use flags and file size to download for
> > each package to be installed.
>
> I've got both -j and -l set in my MAKEOPTS and portage is quite verbose as it
> has always been. I don't know if EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS has a different effect.

Indeed it has. MAKE_OPTS contains options to make, whereas EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
contains those for emerge. Both have a -j option. If you tell -j (jobs) to
emerge, it will do as many emerges simultaneously.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

...still, there is life before death!
 
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Mick
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On Sunday 04 Dec 2011 14:05:29 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 08:27:33AM +0000, Mick wrote:
> > > > Remerged python, verified the right python via eselect, remerge
> > > > portage, etc etc etc etc I just can't seem to get proper output from
> > > > emerge anymore no matter what. Other than that everything is working
> > > > fine, but I do need to see actual output.
> > > >
> > > > Anyone know what to do to fix this?
> > >
> > > Did you enable parallel builds? I.e. added --jobs and/or --load related
> > > options to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS? In that case emerge uses this kind of
> > > output, because obviously you can’t display multiple builds at the same
> > > time in one window.
> > >
> > > The -v flag, to my knowledge, only affects the output of -p and -a,
> > > adding information like used and changed use flags and file size to
> > > download for each package to be installed.
> >
> > I've got both -j and -l set in my MAKEOPTS and portage is quite verbose
> > as it has always been. I don't know if EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS has a
> > different effect.
>
> Indeed it has. MAKE_OPTS contains options to make, whereas
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS contains those for emerge. Both have a -j option. If
> you tell -j (jobs) to emerge, it will do as many emerges simultaneously.

Oh I see! Thanks for explaining this.

But then if there were say 5 ebuilds running in parallel and all their output
printed in the same terminal, it would be almightily difficult to untangle the
spaghetti that may show up in an error?
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:18:40 +0000, Mick wrote:

> But then if there were say 5 ebuilds running in parallel and all their
> output printed in the same terminal, it would be almightily difficult
> to untangle the spaghetti that may show up in an error?

Which is why setting -j >1 sets wh

--
Neil Bothwick

I don't have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem.
at is now the quiet-build option, so you only get the progress
information from portage, not from gcc. If one of your ebuilds fails, the
gcc output is displayed at the end.


--
Neil Bothwick

I've got a mind like a... a... what's that thing called?
 
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Mick
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On Sunday 04 Dec 2011 20:49:55 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:18:40 +0000, Mick wrote:
> > But then if there were say 5 ebuilds running in parallel and all their
> > output printed in the same terminal, it would be almightily difficult
> > to untangle the spaghetti that may show up in an error?
>
> Which is why setting -j >1 sets wh

Did you mean to finish this message later on, or does "wh" mean something? o_O
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:58:23 +0000, Mick wrote:

> On Sunday 04 Dec 2011 20:49:55 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:18:40 +0000, Mick wrote:
> > > But then if there were say 5 ebuilds running in parallel and all
> > > their output printed in the same terminal, it would be almightily
> > > difficult to untangle the spaghetti that may show up in an error?
> >
> > Which is why setting -j >1 sets wh
>
> Did you mean to finish this message later on, or does "wh" mean
> something? o_O

Not only did I mean to finish it, I thought I had. Using --jobs >1 sets
the quiet-build flag, so you only get the emerge output, not all the
stuff from autotools and gcc. If an ebuild fails, you get that output at
the end.


--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 012: Window closed - Do not look inside
 
Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default emerge ignoring -v switch

On 12/07/2011 11:14 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:58:23 +0000, Mick wrote:


On Sunday 04 Dec 2011 20:49:55 Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:18:40 +0000, Mick wrote:

But then if there were say 5 ebuilds running in parallel and all
their output printed in the same terminal, it would be almightily
difficult to untangle the spaghetti that may show up in an error?


Which is why setting -j>1 sets wh


Did you mean to finish this message later on, or does "wh" mean
something? o_O


Not only did I mean to finish it, I thought I had. Using --jobs>1 sets
the quiet-build flag


It also sets it if you don't use more than 1 job. As another poster
(Hinnerk) already mentioned, the only way to get the old behavior back
is to use the "--quiet-build=n" option.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org