Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Stroller

Default Listing applications with eix...

On 3 December 2011, at 10:14, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> is there a way to list all -- for exmaple -- audio related
> applications without without being burried under audio related
> system libs for example or entries with (also as an exmaple)
> "this application does not supprt audio but only imageing"
>
> I want the full dexcription, not only the heade line…

I think your best bet will be something like:

eix -c -C '*sound*'

Unfortunately there are c 385 items in the media-sound category, and I would guess libraries will be mixed in with apps amongst those. You could `grep -v library`, but then you'd miss out on the midi player that's packaged with its library (wildmidi).

Stroller.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Claudio Roberto França Pereira

I'd first do a "ls /usr/portage/ | grep sound|audio" to find out audio categories within the portage tree.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
James

<meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:

> is there a way to list all -- for exmaple -- audio related
> applications without without being burried under audio related
> system libs for example or entries with (also as an exmaple)
> "this application does not supprt audio but only imageing"

So the easy thing to is use the debian software index
and find what your want (or a selection of applications)
and then hope some of them are in portage or an overlay
repository:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/

cd /usr/portage/media-sound
eix -e <package>

hth,

James

Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Bill Longman

is there a way to list all -- for exmaple -- audio related

applications without without being burried under audio related

system libs for example or entries with (also as an exmaple)

"this application does not supprt audio but only imageing"

I want the full dexcription, not only the heade line...

Here's one way that I like to look for these, Meino:
eix --stable -c -S audio
Obviously there's no easy way to get a noise-free listing of what you want, but I've often found looking for text in the description with the -S is a useful method.

--
Bill Longman

Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Rudmer van Dijk

Bill Longman wrote:

is there a way to list all -- for exmaple -- audio related
applications without without being burried under audio related
system libs for example or entries with (also as an exmaple)
"this application does not supprt audio but only imageing"

I want the full dexcription, not only the heade line...

Here's one way that I like to look for these, Meino:

eix --stable -c -S audio

Obviously there's no easy way to get a noise-free listing of what you
want, but I've often found looking for text in the description with the
-S is a useful method.

well, there is this: (don't forget the trailing slash!)

`eix -c media-sound/`

but for a whole category you'll definitely want to use '-c', there is so
much... but all audio related even without audio in the name or description.

Rudmer

Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Bill Longman

is there a way to list all -- for exmaple -- audio related
applications without without being burried under audio related
system libs for example or entries with (also as an exmaple)
"this application does not supprt audio but only imageing"

I want the full dexcription, not only the heade line...

Here's one way that I like to look for these, Meino:

eix --stable -c -S audio

Obviously there's no easy way to get a noise-free listing of what you
want, but I've often found looking for text in the description with the
-S is a useful method.

well, there is this: (don't forget the trailing slash!)

`eix -c media-sound/`

but for a whole category you'll definitely want to use '-c', there is so
much... but all audio related even without audio in the name or
description.

If you know your application lives in a specific category, then you
should use the "-C category". But Meino's question specifically asked
how to get ANY audio related application out of all of portage. That
means you have to search WITHOUT a category, unless of course you are
doing searches through each individual category in search of some string.

The lowercase -c compresses the output to include the header. The
uppercase -C forces a category. You can use wildcards on categories, for
instance, "-C sci-* ks" returns entries from
sci-{chemistry,electronics,libs,visualization}.