Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 AM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

Default libmad sound artifacts

Hi; sorry to crosspost, but I know for a fact that gentoo-amd64 has a
much lower traffic than gentoo-user.

Some weeks ago I noticed serious artifacts in the sound quality of my
desktop machine, when playing MP3's with Rhythmbox. It actually sounds
like a hardware problem; a speaker cable which is shorting, or a
speaker with a broken diaphragm, so at first I though my hardware was
broken.

But then I noticed that mpg123 and MPlayer don't have the artifacts,
with the same MP3's, so then I shifted the blame to GStreamer, because
Totem has also the problem. Finally, I was able to locate the problem:
it's libmad, because madplay have the artifacts too.

Everything that uses libmad sounds like crap, and I've recompiled the
library with any option that it offers, but to no avail: the artifacts
are still there (I can make them WORSE, with the default fixed point
math). I see bug reports that *seems* to be similar, but for ppc and
sparc, and those solutions didn't work for me.

Other thing: if I decode the MP3 to a WAV file with madplay
--output=wave:file.wav, the artifacts disappear.

Anyone has *any* idea of what can I do? I'm not using normal speakers;
I'm using an old stereo system, plugging the output from my sound card
to the video input of the stereo. But it sounds really nice if I'm not
using libmad.

Any help will be *really* appreciated.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM

Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:24:10 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> Hi; sorry to crosspost, but I know for a fact that gentoo-amd64 has a
> much lower traffic than gentoo-user.

Why apologise? If you know it's wrong, don't do it.

Reposting the same day is also poor netiquette. If someone knows the
answer and wants to share it with you, they will do so. Reposting, and
cross-posting, only serves to annoy them and others.

--
Neil Bothwick

Back Up My Hard Drive? How do I Put it in Reverse?