FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 AM
victor romanchuk
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

> Can anyone confirm or deny?
>
>

i confirm. apart of these 'painting' issues in localc, observed both lowriter
and localc crash during arbitrary pointer movements over menu items. it seems
all that misbehavior is related to x11-libs/gtk+:3

after an hour of tries decided to switch back to libreoffice-3.4.4-r1; 3.5.0 is
too fresh to use

victor
 
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
walt
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

On 12/01/2011 07:44 PM, victor romanchuk wrote:



Can anyone confirm or deny?




i confirm. apart of these 'painting' issues in localc, observed both lowriter
and localc crash during arbitrary pointer movements over menu items. it seems
all that misbehavior is related to x11-libs/gtk+:3

after an hour of tries decided to switch back to libreoffice-3.4.4-r1; 3.5.0 is
too fresh to use


Okay, I'm switching back also -- and for once I was smart enough to save the prior
version with quickpkg

I looked yesterday for open bug reports on 3.5.0.0 but didn't find any. I'll
look again tomorrow and file one if no one else has done it.
 
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Maciej Grela
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

2011/12/3 walt <w41ter@gmail.com>:
> On 12/01/2011 07:44 PM, victor romanchuk wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Can anyone confirm or deny?
>>>
>>>
>>
>> i confirm. apart of these 'painting' issues in localc, observed both
>> lowriter
>> and localc crash during arbitrary pointer movements over menu items. it
>> seems
>> all that misbehavior is related to x11-libs/gtk+:3
>>

I have also rolled back to 3.4.4 due to repaint problems in all apps.
Initially I blamed this on nouveau but I don't know how to check if
this is the case.

Best regards,
Maciej Grela
 
Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 14:43 -0800, walt wrote:
> I just finished building it on my ~x86 and ~amd64 machines, and I'm
> seeing a very annoying bug in localc on both of them.
>
> When I do anything that requires the window to repaint, like scrolling
> or zooming, the screen doesn't repaint until I start clicking on the
> spreadsheet. And then the screen repaints only in a rectangular area
> under the mouse, about 3 x 4 cm. I have to click on every part of the
> sheet to get the whole thing properly redrawn. Very strange, and very
> annoying.
>
> A quick test of lowriter doesn't seem to show the same problem.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny?
>

IIRC, libreoffice was released with *experimental* support for gtk3, and
have acknowledged that there are issues with the gtk3 port. However
Gentoo decided to enable gtk3 support by default. However it *should*
work as expected when built against gtk2.

-a
 
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

Hello!
There is no need to rebuild LibreOffice if you just want to start it
with different front-end.

This forum: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6888618.html
gives a fast solution to the problem - just define the
"SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN" variable according to your needs. For example:

SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen lowriter
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=kde4 lowriter
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk lowriter
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3 lowriter

I can confirm that at least with the "gtk" value the LO 3.5 interface
is pretty stable.

Still, LO 3.5.0.0 has a much more serious problem in my case: it
cannot open several documents at a time. See, for example this bug
report: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392907
or this forum thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-904036.html

Regards,
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>
 
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Albert W. Hopkins
<marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> IIRC, libreoffice was released with *experimental* support for gtk3, and
> have acknowledged that there are issues with the gtk3 port. *However
> Gentoo decided to enable gtk3 support by default. *However it *should*
> work as expected when built against gtk2.

Looks like the ebuild has been updated and now has -gtk3 by default.
 
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 PM
walt
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

On 12/05/2011 09:41 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Albert W. Hopkins
<marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:

IIRC, libreoffice was released with *experimental* support for gtk3, and
have acknowledged that there are issues with the gtk3 port. However
Gentoo decided to enable gtk3 support by default. However it *should*
work as expected when built against gtk2.


Looks like the ebuild has been updated and now has -gtk3 by default.


Yes, I just finished rebuilding it and all the painting problems are gone.
No hacking needed

Just be aware that some settings may get reset to default values and you
need to look in the various preferences menus or toolbar settings to get
back your favorite look and feel. Not a big deal as long as you know
what to do about it. All of my usual settings are still available but
I had to re-enable them before I was sure they weren't removed or broken.
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM
victor romanchuk
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

walt wrote, at 12/07/2011 02:40 AM:
> On 12/05/2011 09:41 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> Looks like the ebuild has been updated and now has -gtk3 by default.

thank you for the update

> Yes, I just finished rebuilding it and all the painting problems are gone.
> No hacking needed
>
> Just be aware that some settings may get reset to default values and you
> need to look in the various preferences menus or toolbar settings to get
> back your favorite look and feel. Not a big deal as long as you know
> what to do about it. All of my usual settings are still available but
> I had to re-enable them before I was sure they weren't removed or broken.
>

i was unable to find ones; apparently everything remained intact

victor
 
Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

Hello!
So how can I install LibreOffice 3.5 to test it?
Portage does not suggest me an update to 3.5 version any more.

Thanks.
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>
 
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Dale
 
Default Anyone using libreoffice 3.5.0.0 yet?

v_2e@ukr.net wrote:

Hello!
So how can I install LibreOffice 3.5 to test it?
Portage does not suggest me an update to 3.5 version any more.

Thanks.
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>




It's keyworded:

[-P-] [ -] app-office/libreoffice-3.5.9999

Since it is still a 9999 ebuild, I would wait a bit. It is in some
initial testing at the moment and it may be best to let it at least get
out of the 9999 testing. If you really want to try it, this should do
the trick



echo "=app-office/libreoffice-3.5.9999" >>
/etc/portage/package.keywords/package.keywords


Then:

emerge -u libreoffice

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org