Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
András Csányi

Default gnome3 hotkey for searching in overview

Dear All,

To be honest, I've never thought that I'm going to say that gnome is
fantastic. I was always xfce and KDE user and I never was not able to
understand the philosophy of Gnome. But, Gnome3 is amazing! Simple and
easy to use. Not to mention that it has eye candy in a good way and
doesn't eat my machine against KDE4.x.

But I don't know what is the hotkey for reach the "Type to search..."
searchbox in overview. I've spent a few hours to find it without any
result. Can somebody tell me what is the shortcut?

Thanks in advance!

András

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Old 12-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> To be honest, I've never thought that I'm going to say that gnome is
> fantastic. I was always xfce and KDE user and I never was not able to
> understand the philosophy of Gnome. But, Gnome3 is amazing! Simple and
> easy to use. Not to mention that it has eye candy in a good way and
> doesn't eat my machine against KDE4.x.
>
> But I don't know what is the hotkey for reach the "Type to search..."
> searchbox in overview. I've spent a few hours to find it without any
> result. Can somebody tell me what is the shortcut?

Mmmmh. You use the Windows key to bring the overview. The moment you
start to type something (anything), the "Type to search..." searchbox
catchs the key press immediately. There is no need for a shortcut.

If that is not the way it works for you, you have some keyboard
related configuration hiccup. Probably a legacy .Xmodmap or something
similar.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
András Csányi

On 1 December 2011 20:01, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> To be honest, I've never thought that I'm going to say that gnome is
>> fantastic. I was always xfce and KDE user and I never was not able to
>> understand the philosophy of Gnome. But, Gnome3 is amazing! Simple and
>> easy to use. Not to mention that it has eye candy in a good way and
>> doesn't eat my machine against KDE4.x.
>>
>> But I don't know what is the hotkey for reach the "Type to search..."
>> searchbox in overview. I've spent a few hours to find it without any
>> result. Can somebody tell me what is the shortcut?
>
> Mmmmh. You use the Windows key to bring the overview. The moment you
> start to type something (anything), the "Type to search..." searchbox
> catchs the key press immediately. There is no need for a shortcut.

Waaahhhhhh! It's so obviously simple!
Thanks!

--
- -

Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 01.12.2011 19:51, schrieb András Csányi:
> I was always xfce and KDE user and I never was not able to
> understand the philosophy of Gnome. But, Gnome3 is amazing! Simple and
> easy to use.

András, pls tell us about your usual use of desktop .... do you use
gentoo for business? Or private use only?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 AM
András Csányi

On 2 December 2011 00:28, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 01.12.2011 19:51, schrieb András Csányi:
>> I was always xfce and KDE user and I never was not able to
>> understand the philosophy of Gnome. But, Gnome3 is amazing! Simple and
>> easy to use.
>
> András, pls tell us about your usual use of desktop .... do you use
> gentoo for business? Or private use only?

Dear Stefan,

Nowadays I'm using it just at home for private. I would be so happy if
it would be a gentoo my workspace!

--
- -

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 02.12.2011 07:23, schrieb András Csányi:
> On 2 December 2011 00:28, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>> Am 01.12.2011 19:51, schrieb András Csányi:
>>> I was always xfce and KDE user and I never was not able to
>>> understand the philosophy of Gnome. But, Gnome3 is amazing! Simple and
>>> easy to use.
>>
>> András, pls tell us about your usual use of desktop .... do you use
>> gentoo for business? Or private use only?
>
> Dear Stefan,
>
> Nowadays I'm using it just at home for private. I would be so happy if
> it would be a gentoo my workspace!

;-)

Just wanted to check if you use it professionally as I hesitate to adopt
gnome-3 too early. I am running my business w/ gentoo on my machines and
although I am interested in the new concepts I don't want to deal w/ too
much problems. I have gnome-3 on a netbook, w/ sabayon linux, just to
have a look. On my main rig it is still masked ...

Thx, S

Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 07:23 +0100, András Csányi wrote:
> Dear Stefan,
>
> Nowadays I'm using it just at home for private. I would be so happy if
> it would be a gentoo my workspace!

I use Gentoo at home and at work, and am running GNOME3 at both
locations. No problems.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 02.12.2011 12:34, schrieb Albert W. Hopkins:
> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 07:23 +0100, András Csányi wrote:
>> Dear Stefan,
>>
>> Nowadays I'm using it just at home for private. I would be so happy if
>> it would be a gentoo my workspace!
>
> I use Gentoo at home and at work, and am running GNOME3 at both
> locations. No problems.

And you don't miss stuff like icons on desktop, applets etc ?
Do you use fallback-mode?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 15:02 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 02.12.2011 12:34, schrieb Albert W. Hopkins:
> > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 07:23 +0100, András Csányi wrote:
> >> Dear Stefan,
> >>
> >> Nowadays I'm using it just at home for private. I would be so happy if
> >> it would be a gentoo my workspace!
> >
> > I use Gentoo at home and at work, and am running GNOME3 at both
> > locations. No problems.
>
> And you don't miss stuff like icons on desktop, applets etc ?
> Do you use fallback-mode?

If you'd look at my GNOME2 desktop you'd probably notice the lack of
icons on the desktop, applets on the panel, etc.[1] I find these things
distracting (especially in my work environment). Usually when I install
GNOME2 the first thing I do is turn most of those things off.

When GNOME3 came out, I thought they had read my mind. I use extensions
to get rid of a few more icons on the top panel. I patched so it
doesn't show the time (if the time is shown on the desktop, I find I'm
constantly looking at the time which is also distracting (for the same
reason I don't wear a watch))[2]. So I like to keep things simple, and
for most-used apps I use keyboard shortcuts. Works for me.

If you want icons on the desktop, etc. There are extensions and config
settings to enable that in GNOME3. gnome-tweak-tool is your friend.

I don't use fallback mode. The gnome-shell is (almost) exactly what I
want.

[1] http://ompldr.org/vYmp4OA
[2] http://ompldr.org/vYmp4YQ

Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2011-12-02 15:22, schrieb Albert W. Hopkins:
> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 15:02 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

>>> I use Gentoo at home and at work, and am running GNOME3 at both
>>> locations. No problems.
>>
>> And you don't miss stuff like icons on desktop, applets etc ?
>> Do you use fallback-mode?
>>

> If you'd look at my GNOME2 desktop you'd probably notice the lack of
> icons on the desktop, applets on the panel, etc.[1] I find these things
> distracting (especially in my work environment). Usually when I install
> GNOME2 the first thing I do is turn most of those things off.
>
> When GNOME3 came out, I thought they had read my mind. I use extensions
> to get rid of a few more icons on the top panel. I patched so it
> doesn't show the time (if the time is shown on the desktop, I find I'm
> constantly looking at the time which is also distracting (for the same
> reason I don't wear a watch))[2]. So I like to keep things simple, and
> for most-used apps I use keyboard shortcuts. Works for me.
>
> If you want icons on the desktop, etc. There are extensions and config
> settings to enable that in GNOME3. gnome-tweak-tool is your friend.
>
> I don't use fallback mode. The gnome-shell is (almost) exactly what I
> want.

Good to hear. Maybe I will give it a try after doing some snapshot of my
/-fs ... quick rollback possible ...