Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Paul Hartman

Default CLI DVD copy?

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got 1 DVD that for some reason fails to rip using Handbrake. I
> then tried it in dvd::rip and it said it couldn't read the table of
> contents. However after all of that the DVD plays fine in xine as well
> as on my DVD player so I doubt there is anything truly wrong with the
> DVD itself.
>
> I was considering making a copy of this DVD to keep for bug testing in
> the future. I'm wondering how to make a copy of a DVD movie at the
> command line? All the things I'm finding in Google point to dvd::rip
> or other GUI apps. I tried a simple dd copy, ala
>
> dd if=/dev/dvd of=Movie.iso
>
> but that fails also.

dvdunauthor /dev/dvd
(from media-video/dvdauthor)

or

vobcopy -m /dev/dvd
(from media-video/vobcopy)

one of those should do the trick

Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 03:53:10PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I was considering making a copy of this DVD to keep for bug testing in
> the future. I'm wondering how to make a copy of a DVD movie at the
> command line? All the things I'm finding in Google point to dvd::rip
> or other GUI apps. I tried a simple dd copy, ala
>
> dd if=/dev/dvd of=Movie.iso

vobcopy comes to mind. And if that fails also, you could try ddrescue and then
perhaps vobcopy on the created copy.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

I’m not bothered by dreaming in English.
What pisses me off are the subtitles.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2011-11-30, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was considering making a copy of this DVD to keep for bug testing
> in the future. I'm wondering how to make a copy of a DVD movie at the
> command line? All the things I'm finding in Google point to dvd::rip
> or other GUI apps. I tried a simple dd copy, ala
>
> dd if=/dev/dvd of=Movie.iso
>
> but that fails also.

That will only work with unencrypted DVDs.

I use dvdbackup, and it hasn't failed me yet.

--
Grant

Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-11-30, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was considering making a copy of this DVD to keep for bug testing
>> in the future. I'm wondering how to make a copy of a DVD movie at the
>> command line? All the things I'm finding in Google point to dvd::rip
>> or other GUI apps. I tried a simple dd copy, ala
>>
>> dd if=/dev/dvd of=Movie.iso
>>
>> but that fails also.
>
> That will only work with unencrypted DVDs.
>
> I use dvdbackup, and it hasn't failed me yet.
>
> --
> Grant

Thanks to all three of you for your answers. Seeing them I remember
Neil suggesting vobcopy when I was first looking into ripping DVDs to
play on my Kindle.

I need to study all the suggestions. If it wasn't clear, being that
this problem with handbrake crashing occurs when it attempts to rip a
physical CD I'll also want to determine how to recreate a new physical
CD that causes the same problem so that I can evaluate fixes to
handbrake whenever they come along.

Again, thanks for your inputs.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:53:10 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I was considering making a copy of this DVD to keep for bug testing in
> the future. I'm wondering how to make a copy of a DVD movie at the
> command line?

If you only want the main title and not all the padding (sorry "extras")

mplayer -streamdump dvd://1

--
Neil Bothwick

We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Raffaele BELARDI

On 12/01/2011 09:49 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:53:10 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> If you only want the main title and not all the padding (sorry
> "extras")
>
> mplayer -streamdump dvd://1

It doesn't work for copy protected discs. Also, here it would be:

$ mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile title.vob dvd://1

there's no -streamdump option on my mplayer (1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1)

raf

Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 10:00:51 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:

> > mplayer -streamdump dvd://1
> >

> It doesn't work for copy protected discs. Also, here it would be:

If mplayer can play the discs, it should work.

> $ mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile title.vob dvd://1
>
> there's no -streamdump option on my mplayer (1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1)

My bad, I was working from memory, which is suffering from bit rot (as it
the rest of me).

--
Neil Bothwick

Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.