Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM
"pat"

Default max size of bash variable value

Hi all,

Sorry for this off topic post, but I've been asked how/where to find maximum
size of bash variable value. I've search and found 4M, 1k, 4k ... . But didn't
found how/where this limit is set. I know, that for C it's e.g. sizeof(int),
but for bash?

Thanks for help

Pat

Freehosting PIPNI - http://www.pipni.cz/

Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2011, 13:19:56 schrieb pat:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for this off topic post, but I've been asked how/where to find maximum
> size of bash variable value. I've search and found 4M, 1k, 4k ... . But
> didn't found how/where this limit is set. I know, that for C it's e.g.
> sizeof(int), but for bash?

afaik you can query that value with
getconf ARG_MAX
How to set it, I have no idea.

> Thanks for help
> Pat

Best,
Michael

Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
"pat"

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:18:35 +0100, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote
> Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2011, 13:19:56 schrieb pat:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Sorry for this off topic post, but I've been asked how/where to find maximum
> > size of bash variable value. I've search and found 4M, 1k, 4k ... . But
> > didn't found how/where this limit is set. I know, that for C it's e.g.
> > sizeof(int), but for bash?
>
> afaik you can query that value with
> getconf ARG_MAX
> How to set it, I have no idea.
>
> > Thanks for help
> > Pat
>
> Best,
> Michael

Thanks a lot that's exactly they looking for ... I hope :-)

Thanks