-   -   Gnome 3: GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is too small. (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/604611-gnome-3-gl_max_texture_size-too-small.html)

Maximilian Bräutigam 11-30-2011 08:11 AM

Gnome 3: GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is too small.

Dear all,

I'd really like to switch to or at least test Gnome 3, but not the
fallback version. But that's everything I get.

Running /usr/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated-helper gives me the
clue:
gnome-session-is-accelerated: GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is too small.

Searching for it in the internet is not very helpful, just some Spanish
Debian mailing list entries. The Gentoo Gnome upgrade guide is not
helpful as well and I did everything according to this guide, i.e.

(1) I'm using open source xserver driver x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
with VIDEO_CARDS="intel" and mesa with use of "video_cards_intel".

(2) Mesa is built with "gallium" and it is enables using eselect.

(3) direct rendering is enabled:
# glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes

You can find my emerge --info here:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/514796/

BTW, VGA controller is according to lspci just "VGA compatible
controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)" and the processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3.

My question is, whether it is possible to increase this
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE or not and if so, how.

Kind regards,
der Max

"Albert W. Hopkins" 11-30-2011 10:57 AM

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 10:11 +0100, Maximilian Bräutigam wrote:
> (2) Mesa is built with "gallium" and it is enables using eselect.

AFAIK intel drivers didn't work (well) with gallium, at least I
checked[1].

Anyway you might want to try the classic. Works for me.

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE0OQ

Michael Schreckenbauer 11-30-2011 11:24 AM

Gnome 3: GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is too small.

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2011, 10:11:04 schrieb Maximilian Bräutigam:
> My question is, whether it is possible to increase this
> GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE or not and if so, how.

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is limited by your video-card. Afaik, there's no way to
increase it as it's given by the HW.
What does
glxinfo -l | grep MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE
give?

> Thank you very much in advance for your help.
> Kind regards,
> der Max

Best,
Michael

Maximilian Bräutigam 12-02-2011 01:40 PM

Am 30.11.2011 13:24, schrieb Michael Schreckenbauer:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2011, 10:11:04 schrieb Maximilian Bräutigam:
>> My question is, whether it is possible to increase this
>> GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE or not and if so, how.
>
> GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is limited by your video-card. Afaik, there's no way to
> increase it as it's given by the HW.
> What does
> glxinfo -l | grep MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE
> give?
>
>> Thank you very much in advance for your help.
>> Kind regards,
>> der Max
>
> Best,
> Michael

Thank you very much Michael and Albert,

since it's a problem of my PC at work I'll try things out next week and
give you the values of MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE soon.

BTW, at home everything is working like a charm where I'm using
ati-drivers and a proper xorg.conf. There are just some graphical
corruptions when it comes to popups and dialog boxes, the content of
which is stretched to the lower left corner which makes reading
extremely heavy, but this is worth another thread if I cannot fix it. I
mean from top to bottom each line of pixels is moved 1 px to the left
and the first one is appended on the right side.

Kind regards, I'll answer you soon,
der Max

Maximilian Bräutigam 12-08-2011 08:30 AM

Gnome 3: GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is too small.

Am 30.11.2011 13:24, schrieb Michael Schreckenbauer:
> glxinfo -l | grep MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE

Hi Michael,

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024

is this enough?

Kind regards,
der Max

Maximilian Bräutigam 12-08-2011 09:20 AM

Am 30.11.2011 12:57, schrieb Albert W. Hopkins:
> On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 10:11 +0100, Maximilian Bräutigam wrote:
>> (2) Mesa is built with "gallium" and it is enables using eselect.
>
> AFAIK intel drivers didn't work (well) with gallium, at least I
> checked[1].
>
> Anyway you might want to try the classic. Works for me.
>
> [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE0OQ

Wow, it's working. Thanks a lot, Albert!
Kind regards,
Max

Michael Schreckenbauer 12-08-2011 06:05 PM

Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2011, 10:30:14 schrieb Maximilian Bräutigam:
> Am 30.11.2011 13:24, schrieb Michael Schreckenbauer:
> > glxinfo -l | grep MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024
>
> is this enough?

don't think so. Afaik gnome-shell composes the desktop into a large texture.
If your screen resolution exceeds 1024 in width or height (I assume it does),
the screen does not fit into the maximum texture available on your hardware.

> Kind regards,
> der Max

Best,
Michael