Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Laptop - Switch video/audio output to HDMI?

Hi,
I'm finally joining the 21st century having purchased my first new
TV in more than 13 years. My laptop runs KDE with Nvidia drivers. I'm
wondering what the process is to switch the audio & video output of my
laptop the its HDMI port? I'd like to try using xine to play DVDs. I
assume in Linux I'm going to have to mess with both Alsa and X which
in the end sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but I figure I
might as well see if it's actually easier than I think.

When running as a normal laptop the machine uses the nvidia-drivers
package and the kernel's Intel HD Audio driver. If I want to deliver
audio over HDMI do I need to switch to the Nvidia audio device? Makes
sense but creates more problems testing if it doesn't work really
easily.

Anyway, just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Mark

slinky linux # lspci
<SNIP>
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio (rev 06)
<SNIP>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0dd1 (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be9 (rev a1)
<SNIP>
slinky linux #

Old 11-30-2011, 02:59 AM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 03:17:53PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm finally joining the 21st century having purchased my first new
> TV in more than 13 years. My laptop runs KDE with Nvidia drivers. I'm
> wondering what the process is to switch the audio & video output of my
> laptop the its HDMI port? I'd like to try using xine to play DVDs. I
> assume in Linux I'm going to have to mess with both Alsa and X which
> in the end sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but I figure I
> might as well see if it's actually easier than I think.
> […]
> Anyway, just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

I am administrating the laptop of a friend of mine. She’s running KDE 4.4 on
Debian Squeeze with Intel graphics and an external monitor/TV. KDE can switch
audio to an external monitor by itself using System settings → Hardware →
Multimedia → Phonon. There, in the Device Priority tab, you’ll have to change
the order of items (i.e. put HDMI to the top) and then all programs that use
phonon route their sound to HDMI.

I *believe* that when the monitor is not present (after all, it’s a laptop),
the sound should automatically be routed to the next device in the list. But I
think that we had some problems in that regard. But then again, she’s running
an outdated KDE.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Die schwierigste Turnübung ist, sich selbst auf den Arm zu nehmen.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
James Broadhead

On 29 November 2011 23:17, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> * I'm finally joining the 21st century having purchased my first new
> TV in more than 13 years. My laptop runs KDE with Nvidia drivers. I'm
> wondering what the process is to switch the audio & video output of my
> laptop the its HDMI port? I'd like to try using xine to play DVDs. I
> assume in Linux I'm going to have to mess with both Alsa and X which
> in the end sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but I figure I
> might as well see if it's actually easier than I think.
>
> * When running as a normal laptop the machine uses the nvidia-drivers
> package and the kernel's Intel HD Audio driver. If I want to deliver
> audio over HDMI do I need to switch to the Nvidia audio device? Makes
> sense but creates more problems testing if it doesn't work really
> easily.
>
> * Anyway, just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

The gentoo-wiki page on the Acer Revo 3600 might help you here -
different hardware, but it has a quick and dirty config.