-   -   Gnome: No sound - "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" (was: rhythmbox plays silently) (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/60444-gnome-no-sound-no-volume-control-gstreamer-plugins-devices-found-rhythmbox-plays-silently.html)

Michael Schmarck 03-25-2008 08:04 PM

Gnome: No sound - "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" (was: rhythmbox plays silently)

Hello.

Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Michael Schmarck
> <michael.schmarck <at> habmalnefrage.de> wrote:
> > Good evening!
> >
> > I've got a problem with media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 on
> > my new ~x86 system. When I play an MP3 file, I see that rb
> > progresses and when I turn on visualization, I see the sound.
> > But I hear nothing at all :/
> >
> > Any ideas about why that's so?
> >
> > The volume slider in rb is all the way up. Also all the sliders
> > in the mixer are all up. And when I use a different player,
> > like Amarok, VLC or MPlayer, I hear sound when I play the song
> > that's silent in Rhythmbox. This happens with all the songs
> > I tried.
> >
> > Well - what to do?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael
> >
> Do you play sound with something else before running rhythmbox?

I don't quite understand - as I said, when I use something else,
like Mplayer, Xine or Amarok, I hear something. With Rhythmbox,
and also Totem as I just noticed, I hear nothing.

There's another problem: When I start gnome-volume-control, I get:

No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found

Hmm...

> What
> happens when you run rhythmbox after restarting alsa?

You mean after doing /etc/init.d/alsasound restart? Nothing
special happens - still beautiful silence :)

> Also does
> rhythmbox use alsa or oss?

I suppose alsa - I set USE=-oss in make.conf. How do I check?
gst-plugins-alsa is NOT installed.

Thanks so far,
Michael

Michael Schmarck 03-25-2008 08:13 PM

I wrote:

> Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Michael Schmarck
> > <michael.schmarck <at> habmalnefrage.de> wrote:

> There's another problem: When I start gnome-volume-control, I get:
>
> No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found
>
> Hmm...
[...]
> > Also does
> > rhythmbox use alsa or oss?
>
> I suppose alsa - I set USE=-oss in make.conf. How do I check?
> gst-plugins-alsa is NOT installed.

That's it!

On my new system, I'm using Xfce; on other systems I used to use
Gnome. I suppose Gnome pulls in gst-plugins-meta which may pull in
gst-plugins-alsa. Xfce doesn't do that (of course).

After installing gst-plugins-meta (and gst-plugins-alsa), I'm able
to hear something.

Nice!

Andrey, thanks for your suggestions - they made me solve the problem.

Have a nice evening,
Michael

Alan McKinnon 03-25-2008 09:29 PM

On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Michael Schmarck
> > > <michael.schmarck <at> habmalnefrage.de> wrote:
> >
> > There's another problem: When I start gnome-volume-control, I get:
> >
> > No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found
> >
> > Hmm...
>
> [...]
>
> > > Also does
> > > rhythmbox use alsa or oss?
> >
> > I suppose alsa - I set USE=-oss in make.conf. How do I check?
> > gst-plugins-alsa is NOT installed.
>
> That's it!
>
> On my new system, I'm using Xfce; on other systems I used to use
> Gnome. I suppose Gnome pulls in gst-plugins-meta which may pull in
> gst-plugins-alsa. Xfce doesn't do that (of course).
>
> After installing gst-plugins-meta (and gst-plugins-alsa), I'm able
> to hear something.
>
> Nice!
>
> Andrey, thanks for your suggestions - they made me solve the problem.

Something's wrong there:

alan@nazgul ~ $ equery depends -a gst-plugins-alsa
[ Searching for packages depending on gst-plugins-alsa... ]
media-libs/gst-plugins-base-0.10.14 (alsa?
>=media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10)
media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta-0.10 (alsa?
>=media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10)
media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta-0.10-r1 (alsa?
>=media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10)
<snip irrelevant stuff>

alan@nazgul ~ $ equery depends -a gst-plugins-meta
[ Searching for packages depending on gst-plugins-meta... ]
gnome-base/control-center-2.20.3 (media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta:0.10)
media-video/totem-2.22.0 (>=media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta-0.10-r1)

alan@nazgul ~ $ equery depends -a gst-plugins-base
[ Searching for packages depending on gst-plugins-base... ]
<snip HUGE list...>
media-sound/rhythmbox-0.10.1-r1 (>=media-libs/gst-plugins-base-0.10)
media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 (>=media-libs/gst-plugins-base-0.10.11)

Looking into ebuilds, it would appear that gst-plugins-meta used to have
alsa and oss USE flags. The most current version doesn't, so you either
have to emerge gst-plugins-alsa manually or emerge gst-plugins-meta to
get alsa support. Which seems really odd as the vast majority of users
will have alsa or oss.

Perhaps you could file a feature request at b.g.o. to get the old
behaviour back. It seems entirely reasonable to me that rhythmbox
should DEPENDs on gst-plugins-base which should conditionally DEPEND
on -alsa or -oss (or other sound systems). Unless rhythmbox can serve
up over the network that is, in which case local hardware support might
not be needed.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com