Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

Default uvesafb and screen resolution

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Sergey Kobzar <tod.zullu@gmail.com> wrote:

uvesafb works nice.
Can anyone help me with the following?
Do any of you know how to make uvesafb (that replaces the old vesafb-tng) set to a pre-defined resolution?

What I mean is that with vesafb-tng I used to set like: "1440x900@60"
as fb settings and then, during boot, while kernel was loading, when it
passed through that "instruction", it would start using the console
with those fb settings and the penguins on the top. Then the penguins
disappear and I had a great text console @ 1440x900.

I remeber putting the exact string 1440x900@60 when building my kernel on the vesafb page. Now with uvesafb I don't get that option and my text console has a horrible resolution. A simple "lspci" will generate text long enough for a line to break.

Anyone?
Regards,

Saffi

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)

Skype: ricardo_saffi_marques
Website: http://www.rsaffi.com

Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Alexander Meinke

Hi.

Try to determine possible resolutions by typing "hwinfo --framebuffer". Use the
hex code 0x... and put it as kernel parameter in your grub.conf.

For 1400x1050 with kernel 2.6.24-r3 I am using the following lines:

title Gentoo GNU/Linux (gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r3)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r3 root=/dev/sda5 vga=0x344

Regards,

acm.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Ale