FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Michael Schmarck
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

Good evening!

I've got a problem with media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 on
my new ~x86 system. When I play an MP3 file, I see that rb
progresses and when I turn on visualization, I see the sound.
But I hear nothing at all :/

Any ideas about why that's so?

The volume slider in rb is all the way up. Also all the sliders
in the mixer are all up. And when I use a different player,
like Amarok, VLC or MPlayer, I hear sound when I play the song
that's silent in Rhythmbox. This happens with all the songs
I tried.

Well - what to do?

Thanks,
Michael

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
"Andrey Falko"
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Michael Schmarck
<michael.schmarck@habmalnefrage.de> wrote:
> Good evening!
>
> I've got a problem with media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 on
> my new ~x86 system. When I play an MP3 file, I see that rb
> progresses and when I turn on visualization, I see the sound.
> But I hear nothing at all :/
>
> Any ideas about why that's so?
>
> The volume slider in rb is all the way up. Also all the sliders
> in the mixer are all up. And when I use a different player,
> like Amarok, VLC or MPlayer, I hear sound when I play the song
> that's silent in Rhythmbox. This happens with all the songs
> I tried.
>
> Well - what to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
Do you play sound with something else before running rhythmbox? What
happens when you run rhythmbox after restarting alsa? Also does
rhythmbox use alsa or oss?
> --
> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>
>
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Good evening!
>
> I've got a problem with media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 on
> my new ~x86 system. When I play an MP3 file, I see that rb
> progresses and when I turn on visualization, I see the sound.
> But I hear nothing at all :/
>
> Any ideas about why that's so?
>
> The volume slider in rb is all the way up. Also all the sliders
> in the mixer are all up. And when I use a different player,
> like Amarok, VLC or MPlayer, I hear sound when I play the song
> that's silent in Rhythmbox. This happens with all the songs
> I tried.
>
> Well - what to do?

Easy.

Don't use rhythmbox. Don't use Gnome.
Do use KDE. Do use Amarok. Do use mplayer.

*especially* do use mplayer.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. I just couldn't resist an open
invitation to dig at Gnome. I'll crawl back into my KDE and e17 fanboy
clubhouse and shut up now.



--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Michael Schmarck
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

>
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> > Good evening!
> >
> > I've got a problem with media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 on
> > my new ~x86 system. When I play an MP3 file, I see that rb
> > progresses and when I turn on visualization, I see the sound.
> > But I hear nothing at all :/
> >
> > Any ideas about why that's so?
> >
> > The volume slider in rb is all the way up. Also all the sliders
> > in the mixer are all up. And when I use a different player,
> > like Amarok, VLC or MPlayer, I hear sound when I play the song
> > that's silent in Rhythmbox. This happens with all the songs
> > I tried.
> >
> > Well - what to do?
>
> Easy.
>
> Don't use rhythmbox. Don't use Gnome.

Why's that? Any particular reason why I should not use good
programs?

> Do use KDE.

Most certainly not.

> Do use Amarok. Do use mplayer.

If it makes sense.

> *especially* do use mplayer.

Nope. Not for that task. You know, unlike you, I'm more into
using tools that are made for a task.

> I know this isn't what you want to hear.

Exactly. I wanted to hear helpful comments.

> I just couldn't resist an open
> invitation to dig at Gnome.

Oh, you mean you couldn't resist an open invitation to make
yourself look like a fool? You were quite successul in doing
so, I've gotta say, by replying without knowing an answer - or
did you just wanted to look like a moron?

Well - "mission accomplished", as they say.

> I'll crawl back into my KDE and e17 fanboy
> clubhouse and shut up now.

It would've been better if you would've just shut up right
from the beginning - or simply post helpful comments. The
latter would be the preferred option, as far as I'm concerned.

Michael

PS: Does anyone know if Gmane features a troll filter?

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> > I'll crawl back into my KDE and e17 fanboy
> > clubhouse and shut up now.
>
> It would've been better if you would've just shut up right
> from the beginning - or simply post helpful comments. The
> latter would be the preferred option, as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Michael
>
> PS: Does anyone know if Gmane features a troll filter?

touchy, touchy. It's a joke, something humans do on slow news days like
today. I'm very sorry you didn't appreciate it, but life's like that
sometimes. It's also rather common on this list, probably because it
relieves the tedium of the work we do. Here's what I suggest:

go outside, look at the big orange ball in the sky, take a deep breath
and count to 10. Then realise that humans are quirky, gentoo users even
more so. If you then re-read my original, and admittedly value-less
post with questionable humour, you will see that no sane rational
person should ever have taken it seriously.

Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even attempt
to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same problem
before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
little useful information. Hence your post was as much noise as mine
was. Nonetheless I shall try, so please provide the following:

1. the output of lspci as it relates to audio so we can see what
hardware you have
2. What engine does rhythmbox use? gstreamer? If so, do other gstreamer
apps work correctly on your box?
3. With what options did you compile rhythmbox and gstreamer (if
applicable)?
4. Lastly, this is out on left field, please confirm that rhythmbox is
indeed using alsa and not oss

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Michael Schmarck
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even attempt
> to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same problem
> before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
> little useful information.

What would you have wanted to see? I wrote that sound works. You
don't need more information.

> Hence your post was as much noise as mine
> was.

That's why other people, or at least Andrey, was able to help, where as
you were just a moron.

> Nonetheless I shall try, so please provide the following:

How nice from you, now that the problem has been solved.

> 1. the output of lspci as it relates to audio so we can see what
> hardware you have

Why should that matter? After all, sound playback works (in other
programs).

> 2. What engine does rhythmbox use? gstreamer? If so, do other gstreamer
> apps work correctly on your box?

That was the million dollar question.

> 3. With what options did you compile rhythmbox and gstreamer (if
> applicable)?

Does not matter.

> 4. Lastly, this is out on left field, please confirm that rhythmbox is
> indeed using alsa and not oss

Question 2 covers that.

Michael

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Hal Martin
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even attempt
>> to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same problem
>> before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
>> little useful information.
>>
>
> What would you have wanted to see? I wrote that sound works. You
> don't need more information.
>
>
>> Hence your post was as much noise as mine
>> was.
>>
>
> That's why other people, or at least Andrey, was able to help, where as
> you were just a moron.
>
Not to dig up this unpleasantness again, but there are some things I'd
like to point out for future reference (for all people, including me,
who will post questions with hopes of getting useful answers.)
>
>> Nonetheless I shall try, so please provide the following:
>>
>
> How nice from you, now that the problem has been solved.
>
Yes, I'm aware that this particular problem has been solved, however I'd
still like to highlight a few things about it.
>
>> 1. the output of lspci as it relates to audio so we can see what
>> hardware you have
>>
>
> Why should that matter? After all, sound playback works (in other
> programs).
>
It doesn't matter, but it's information people care about. It helps us
to do our voodoo stuff and get back to you with an answer (it's quantity
over quality at this point of the answering stage.)
>
>> 2. What engine does rhythmbox use? gstreamer? If so, do other gstreamer
>> apps work correctly on your box?
>>
>
> That was the million dollar question.
>
Great, and now you've noticed that Totem, another GStreamer program,
isn't outputting sound. Therefore, instead of just blowing off the
previous poster, you could actually include that information.
>
>> 3. With what options did you compile rhythmbox and gstreamer (if
>> applicable)?
>>
>
> Does not matter.
>
Actually, it does. Contrary to your belief that programs have the
ability to read your mind and compile with all the flags they need to
function in every foreseeable way, real world applications need flags.
Posting them with your question allows for the quantity of answers to go
down, while the quality of the remaining ones to improve greatly.
Knowing from the beginning that you compiled GStreamer with -oss but not
alsa would've helped greatly.
>
>> 4. Lastly, this is out on left field, please confirm that rhythmbox is
>> indeed using alsa and not oss
>>
>
> Question 2 covers that.
>
No, it doesn't. You just deferred your answer instead of actually
confirming that the rhythmbox *engine* used either ALSA or OSS.
> Michael
>
>
Not trying to start a flame war between anywhere here, but I'm just
trying to make a point. Posting information, no matter how useless it
may seem to you, helps us help you. For example,

"Hey group! My mplayer doesn't play sound! I get some generic error
about the sound card not being available..."

Now, there are so many answers to that, and you will be frustrated
because people will start touting their favourite software with things
like, "Mplayer sucks, use Songbird" "Songbird sucks, it's bloated, use
Rhythmbox!" "Rhythmbox is buggy, use Amarok!" "Amarok is KDE based, I
hate KDE and everything that's based on it, Gnome rules!"

Then the slightly more useful questions start, "Well, was mplayer
compiled with the alsa USE flag?" "Do other applications play sound?"
Etc, etc.

However, if you'd posted the original error along with your system
information, we forgo all the unpleasant favouritism and instead, get
strained answers that will actually help you solve the problem, keeping
all parties [hopefully] happy!

"Hey group! My mplayer doesn't play sound?

Here's my USE flags:"xft xcomposite threads dbus libfreetype freetype
firefox xulrunner dvdread lfreetype ftgl gtk X glx usb mplayer a52 hwac3
ac3 ldap GPAC gpac x264 mp4 mp3 mad madplay libmp3 ogg flac alsa oss png
jpg jpeg selinux hal ffmpeg encode vorbis chroot opengl mysql tiff gnome
kde 3dnow 3dnowext aac encode gif ftp mp2 v4l v4l2 httpd sdl sdl-image
xvid xv cvidix -rdynamic -zlib"

Here's the output of 'mplayer awesomemusic.mp3'
MPlayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (Family: 15, Model:
43, Stepping: 1)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE SSE2

Playing Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.mp3.
Audio file file format detected.
Clip info:
Title: The awesomeness!
Artist: Awesome band!
Album: AWESOME!
Year: 2008
Comment:
Track:
Genre:
================================================== ========================
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 192.0 kbit/13.61% (ratio: 24000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
================================================== ========================
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
resource busy
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:864snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Device or resource busy
[AO SDL] Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format s16le
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:864snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device
AO: [null] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 3.5 (03.5) of 448.0 (07:28.0) 1.0%

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio

Thanks!"

Oh look, we have the program version, we know what it was built with,
and we have the exact output from the program regarding the error. In
this case, the answer is that I played one track with mplayer and then
attempted to play another (knowing what would happen) and then went
about posting the output for your benefit.

Again, not trying to restart any disagreements previously stemming from
this topic, I'm just trying to establish a clear method for reporting
problems so that we cut out all the "guess work" on the part of the
person answering the question.

-Hal
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Stroller
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

On 28 Mar 2008, at 22:01, Hal Martin wrote:

Michael Schmarck wrote:

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even
attempt
to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same
problem

before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
little useful information.


What would you have wanted to see? I wrote that sound works. You
don't need more information.


Hence your post was as much noise as mine
was.


That's why other people, or at least Andrey, was able to help,
where as

you were just a moron.


Not to dig up this unpleasantness again, but there are some things I'd
like to point out for future reference (for all people, including me,
who will post questions with hopes of getting useful answers.)

...

Great, and now you've noticed that Totem, another GStreamer program,
isn't outputting sound. Therefore, instead of just blowing off the



previous poster, you could actually include that information.


Hi there,

I, too, thought about saying something like this at the time. I'm
glad you have done so and I agree with all your points.




Michael:

Alan's reply was harmless. You're not entitled to pick on him unless
you posted correctly in the first place.


You're asking for help - provide as much information as possible and
please don't antagonise people (especially because they may be able
to help you!).


If you want help then it's YOUR responsibility to provide as much
information as possible. Help people to help you, and make it easy
for them to do so. Providing a dearth of information requires
respondents to type more, making suggestions which accommodate all
the possibilities which you've failed to eliminate.


Oftentimes, just making the effort to demonstrate your problem
correctly - for example showing permissions with `ls -l /dev/audio`
and `grep audio /etc/group` - will show you the problem lies. You'll
slap your forehead, curse yourself, take a little pride in having
solved the problem yourself, learn something, and save you troubling
others with your problem.


Othertimes making a post can take hours, compiling relevant
information from a terminal window. But I speak from experience when
I tell you that this may provoke a very quick response which
immediately diagnoses your problem and provides a resolution that can
be applied in minutes.



I, too, know what it's like to receive a reply to one of my questions
which I find to be unhelpful and aggravating. However, "two wrongs
don't make a right" and no-one benefits from an angry response.


Stroller.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Michael Schmarck
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

Hal Martin <hal.martin <at> gmail.com> writes:

>
> Michael Schmarck wrote:
> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >> Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even attempt
> >> to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same problem
> >> before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
> >> little useful information.
> >>
> >
> > What would you have wanted to see? I wrote that sound works. You
> > don't need more information.
> >
> >
> >> Hence your post was as much noise as mine
> >> was.
> >>
> >
> > That's why other people, or at least Andrey, was able to help, where as
> > you were just a moron.
> >
> Not to dig up this unpleasantness again, but there are some things I'd
> like to point out for future reference (for all people, including me,
> who will post questions with hopes of getting useful answers.)
> >
> >> Nonetheless I shall try, so please provide the following:
> >>
> >
> > How nice from you, now that the problem has been solved.
> >
> Yes, I'm aware that this particular problem has been solved, however I'd
> still like to highlight a few things about it.
> >
> >> 1. the output of lspci as it relates to audio so we can see what
> >> hardware you have
> >>
> >
> > Why should that matter? After all, sound playback works (in other
> > programs).
> >
> It doesn't matter, but it's information people care about.

Fine. Do you also care about the size of my shoes? It's a german
46 - and yes, I *do* think, that it is just as important.

> It helps us
> to do our voodoo stuff and get back to you with an answer (it's quantity
> over quality at this point of the answering stage.)
> >
> >> 2. What engine does rhythmbox use? gstreamer? If so, do other gstreamer
> >> apps work correctly on your box?
> >>
> >
> > That was the million dollar question.
> >
> Great, and now you've noticed that Totem, another GStreamer program,
> isn't outputting sound. Therefore, instead of just blowing off the
> previous poster, you could actually include that information.

You mean Alan? He hasn't been helpful at all. I don't see, why such
people should not be blown off.

First he tried to be "funny" with his snide KDE remark. Then he
wrote non-helpful (and as it turned out: wrong) comments about
some non-existant circular dependencies. And he also failed to
correctly read the gst-plugins-meta ebuild. No, he was not helpful
at all.

> >
> >> 3. With what options did you compile rhythmbox and gstreamer (if
> >> applicable)?
> >>
> >
> > Does not matter.
> >
> Actually, it does.

No, it does not. It doesn't have any USE flags that would matter
there.

Anyway, it's been compiled with these flags:

[ebuild R ] media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 USE="-daap dbus -debug -doc
-flac hal -ipod -keyring libnotify -lirc mad -musicbrainz python tagwriting
vorbis" 3,454 kB

No, there's no important information. As I said, rb was able to play
the file. There just wasn't any sound.

> Contrary to your belief that programs have the
> ability to read your mind

Just don't assume that I'm doing that, just because you're so naive.

> and compile with all the flags they need to
> function in every foreseeable way, real world applications need flags.

Oh, really? Tell news! But you know what, rb doesn't need any additional
flags. And you already knew that.

> Posting them with your question allows for the quantity of answers to go
> down, while the quality of the remaining ones to improve greatly.
> Knowing from the beginning that you compiled GStreamer with -oss but not
> alsa would've helped greatly.

What? I have alsa set. And -oss. But this information was not necessary,
because the problem was caused by the "bug" that rb used to depend on
gst-plugins-base and that -base used to have alsa/oss/what-not use flags.
That's no longer the case. Instead applications now need to depend on
gst-plugins-meta - and that's the case with rhythmbox of Gnome 2.22.

> >> 4. Lastly, this is out on left field, please confirm that rhythmbox is
> >> indeed using alsa and not oss
> >>
> >
> > Question 2 covers that.
> >
> No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does.

> You just deferred your answer instead of actually
> confirming that the rhythmbox *engine* used either ALSA or OSS.

Because it doesn't matter. rb uses gst. gst may use either engine.
No engine was installed. Reason: Missing dependencies (but that's
rectified in rhythmbox 2.22, per what Marduk wrote).

> > Michael
> >
> >
> Not trying to start a flame war between anywhere here, but I'm just
> trying to make a point. Posting information, no matter how useless it
> may seem to you, helps us help you. For example,

No, that's not good. Only relevant information should be posted.
It's no good to "flood" people (or "supporters") with unrelated
and not important information. Instead, it's good to only send
important information.

> Again, not trying to restart any disagreements previously stemming from
> this topic, I'm just trying to establish a clear method for reporting
> problems so that we cut out all the "guess work" on the part of the
> person answering the question.

I posted all the relevant information. So I really don't see what
you're trying to get at. And as it turned out, the problem I reported
was just because I did not have gst-plugins-alsa (or -oss) installed,
which was because gst-plugins-base no longer installs that. I indicated
that I'm using ~x86, so you knew what versions I'm using (the latest,
of course - if not, I would've of course said so).

Michael

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Michael Schmarck
 
Default rhythmbox plays silently

Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:


> Hi there,
>
> I, too, thought about saying something like this at the time. I'm
> glad you have done so and I agree with all your points.

I don't. I disagree with his most important point: It's no good
to post as much information as possible. Instead, the amount of
information posted should be "condensed" to only the important
pieces.

> Michael:
>
> Alan's reply was harmless. You're not entitled to pick on him unless
> you posted correctly in the first place.

So, I *am* entitled. Thanks!

> You're asking for help - provide as much information as possible and
> please don't antagonise people (especially because they may be able
> to help you!).

Now, please go back and read Alans first post in the thread. It
absolutely did not sound, as if he even wanted to help.

> If you want help then it's YOUR responsibility to provide as much
> information as possible.

Well, no, not as possible, but rather "as required". And that's been
done.

> Help people to help you, and make it easy
> for them to do so.

Yes. That's been done. Once more: The problem was, because rhythmbox
of Gnome 2.20 is missing an (indirect) dependency on gst-plugins-alsa.
That's fixed in 2.22.

> I, too, know what it's like to receive a reply to one of my questions
> which I find to be unhelpful and aggravating. However, "two wrongs
> don't make a right" and no-one benefits from an angry response.

Oh, so it's now my fault for responding to a flamebait? Nice. It's
not the aggressor who's doing something wrong?

Michael

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org