-   -   Tcl in your system... (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/604161-tcl-your-system.html)

Håkon Alstadheim 11-29-2011 08:21 AM

Tcl in your system...

Den 29. nov. 2011 06:03, skrev Michael Mol:

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Pandu Poluan<pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

Just wondering if anyone here ever use Tcl for scripting (i.e., automating
repetitive procedures) or even *gasp* serious programming.

Not me, but Tcl is one of the best-represented langauges on the site I run.

I use it for small stuff (with expect) regarding keeping my cheap
consumer-grade routers/switches running. Those things usually have
either a telnet or ssh interface that allows me to
monitor/configure/reboot, but they are usually too ficle to be
programmed in any predictable way. Muddle through a problem manually,
and record the solution in an expect script to keep until next time.
Over the years I have accumulated several that are stable enough to run
unattended. Last couple of times that my most troublesome wifi-box got
alzheimers, it got rebooted automatically. Dynamic DNS (10+ hostnames)
and ADSL rebooting happens within 5 minutes of my ISP deciding to do
something weird. expectk brings a semblance of sanity.

No serious programming though. Did use exmh as my main mailclient until
~9 years ago. It is still being developed, look into that if you want an
example of Tcl in a largeish project.

Paul Hartman 11-29-2011 03:10 PM

Tcl in your system...

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here ever use Tcl for scripting (i.e., automating
> repetitive procedures) or even *gasp* serious programming.

At my workplace we use a commercial Tcl-based mail and web server for
sending out millions of emails to our customers. Scripting the
messages with Tcl to generate dynamic mail contents based on their
location, purchasing history, doing A/B tests, etc.

"Albert W. Hopkins" 11-29-2011 03:32 PM

Tcl in your system...

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 11:33 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here ever use Tcl for scripting (i.e., automating
> repetitive procedures) or even *gasp* serious programming.

At a previous job we had licensed some software that was written in
TCL.. and even had an API for the system. I can't recall the name of
the software at the moment, but it was very specialized so not cheap.
This was during the late 90s/early 2000s.

I have no idea if the company is still around of if they still sell the
software or if it's still tcl-based (my memory fails me).

-a

Paul Hartman 11-29-2011 05:22 PM

Tcl in your system...

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone here ever use Tcl for scripting (i.e., automating
>> repetitive procedures) or even *gasp* serious programming.
>
> Not me, but Tcl is one of the best-represented langauges on the site I run.
>
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Tcl

(OT) Hey, that's a great site, I had not seen it before. it reminds me
of the old code snippets archives for C and Pascal that I used to
download from dial-up BBS back in the olden days. I always like to
learn from how other people solved a problem, even if I already solved
it myself (sometimes especially if I already solved it myself,
probably poorly...).

Jörg Schaible 11-29-2011 09:09 PM

Tcl in your system...

Albert W. Hopkins wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 11:33 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone here ever use Tcl for scripting (i.e.,
>> automating repetitive procedures) or even *gasp* serious programming.
>
> At a previous job we had licensed some software that was written in
> TCL.. and even had an API for the system. I can't recall the name of
> the software at the moment, but it was very specialized so not cheap.
> This was during the late 90s/early 2000s.
>
> I have no idea if the company is still around of if they still sell the
> software or if it's still tcl-based (my memory fails me).

Vignette? Was at that time a major player in CMS market ;-)
Acquired by OpenText in 2009.

- Jörg

"Albert W. Hopkins" 11-29-2011 10:43 PM

Tcl in your system...

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 23:09 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> > At a previous job we had licensed some software that was written in
> > TCL.. and even had an API for the system. I can't recall the name
> of
> > the software at the moment, but it was very specialized so not
> cheap.
> > This was during the late 90s/early 2000s.
> >
> > I have no idea if the company is still around of if they still sell
> the
> > software or if it's still tcl-based (my memory fails me).
>
> Vignette? Was at that time a major player in CMS market ;-)
> Acquired by OpenText in 2009.

No, it was healthcare...

Actually I Googled it. It was (is?) called "Cloverleaf". Dunno if it's
still being sold but here's a refrence:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/unixworld/review/006.html