Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Carlos Sura

Default Gentoo + HP + Quickmedia

Hello Mates,
*
I have a new HP laptop i5, this came with Windows 7 pre-installed with HP quickweb (a tool that let me skype, check my email and navigate Interne, whitout loading WINDOWS).
*
I'm wondering if there any way to leave quickweb with gentoo, or windows + quickweb + gentoo would be fine...
*
Also if someone has suceffuly installed gentoo in HP DM4-1190la please let me know or a document of WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DO NOT WORKS would be fine.
*
Regards
--

Carlos Sura.-
www.carlossura.com

Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 29 Nov 2011 06:51:30 Carlos Sura wrote:
> Hello Mates,
>
> I have a new HP laptop i5, this came with Windows 7 pre-installed with HP
> quickweb (a tool that let me skype, check my email and navigate Interne,
> whitout loading WINDOWS).

I believe that HP are using Splashtop OS to achieve 'Instant-on'
functionality, which is running an embedded Linux kernel from ROM, with
bootsplash, squashfs, and blackbox as the main binaries. Asus, Acer and
others also joined in the fun.

> I'm wondering if there any way to leave quickweb with gentoo, or windows +
> quickweb + gentoo would be fine...

Unless I got this wrong, the PC is essentially dual booting between the ROM
resident OS and the disk OS. The latter can be any OS inc. Gentoo of course.

> Also if someone has suceffuly installed gentoo in HP DM4-1190la please let
> me know or a document of WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DO NOT WORKS would be fine.
>
> Regards

Mick

Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Carlos Sura

On 4 December 2011 04:50, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday 29 Nov 2011 06:51:30 Carlos Sura wrote:

> Hello Mates,

> I have a new HP laptop i5, this came with Windows 7 pre-installed with HP

> quickweb (a tool that let me skype, check my email and navigate Interne,

> whitout loading WINDOWS).

I believe that HP are using Splashtop OS to achieve 'Instant-on'

functionality, which is running an embedded Linux kernel from ROM, with

bootsplash, squashfs, and blackbox as the main binaries. *Asus, Acer and

others also joined in the fun.

> I'm wondering if there any way to leave quickweb with gentoo, or windows +

> quickweb + gentoo would be fine...

Unless I got this wrong, the PC is essentially dual booting between the ROM

resident OS and the disk OS. *The latter can be any OS inc. Gentoo of course.

> Also if someone has suceffuly installed gentoo in HP DM4-1190la please let

> me know or a document of WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DO NOT WORKS would be fine.

> Regards

Mick

Well, Thank you for your answer Mick, but after numerous test also many times I've tried, could't make this happen, because quick media is without the HD (or at least I think) because I don't need to get to windows, is a OS very light to use, email, navigation, skype and some others things.

Also, I have to delete RECOVERY partition, because it did not work (I tried with extended partition, same results)
Now, I'm running Gentoo + *Windows 7 (Dual Boot) a little problems, but for now, I can work in both systems very well.

Regards

--
Carlos Sura.-www.carlossura.com

Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Matthew Finkel

Well, Thank you for your answer Mick, but after numerous test also many times I've tried, could't make this happen, because quick media is without the HD (or at least I think) because I don't need to get to windows, is a OS very light to use, email, navigation, skype and some others things.

*Correct, so it should be completely independent of Windows or Gentoo or whichever OS you have installed on your hard drive.*

Also, I have to delete RECOVERY partition, because it did not work (I tried with extended partition, same results)
Those partitions are pretty useless anyway

*
Now, I'm running Gentoo + *Windows 7 (Dual Boot) a little problems, but for now, I can work in both systems very well.

Awesome! Glad to hear you have Gentoo working! Just out of curiosity, what types of problems are you still having?

Regards
--
Carlos Sura.-www.carlossura.com

- Matt
--
Matthew Finkel

Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Carlos Sura

[...]

Well,
My laptop has 2 video cards INTEL (integrated video card) That's the only one that works.
And Ati Mobility Radeon Premium Graphics:

lspci:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]

I tried with switchero but it just only work with INTEL not for ATI, also I've tried to use just ATI (ati-drivers) package, but when I try to:X -configure

it says something like:Screen found, but driver:fxglrs (not found)
I tried following all gentoo wiki about ATI, but it just simply don't work. I don't care to use both video cards, but I would like to use ATI insted INTEL.

If there any way or someone who knows how to solve this, it would be great for me!
Regards

--
Carlos Sura.-
www.carlossura.com

Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Matthew Finkel

My laptop has 2 video cards INTEL (integrated video card) That's the only one that works.
And Ati Mobility Radeon Premium Graphics:

lspci:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]

I tried with switchero but it just only work with INTEL not for ATI, also I've tried to use just ATI (ati-drivers) package, but when I try to:X -configure

it says something like:Screen found, but driver:fxglrs (not found)*If the Intel video card is working correctly, then you should only need to adjust which driver X uses when it starts. This can be changed within /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The ATI driver should be called fglrx which is installed when you emerge ati-drivers. It's strange that it can not find the driver, though. If it's possible, can you attach the error message? The ati-drivers package also comes with a tool, aticonfig, which may help auto-configure xorg.conf, as well.