Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Converter parallel-port to USB (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/604008-converter-parallel-port-usb.html)

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 11-28-2011 08:34 PM

Converter parallel-port to USB
 
Dear gentoo-users, pls tell me if this is true:

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3742

Does anyone use this USB-adapter-cable:

ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port

successfully with gentoo?

If no, are there any "yes, works" recommendations for an adapter-cable
or -card to attach an old, but perfectly printing HP LJ2100 to my new
machine?

Thanks, Stefan

James 11-29-2011 02:16 AM

Converter parallel-port to USB
 
Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:


> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3742
> Does anyone use this USB-adapter-cable:
> ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port

Unknown. Look in the driver section of building a kernel
for the supported devices. I have use FTDI usb-serial converters
without issue.

> successfully with gentoo?
>
> If no, are there any "yes, works" recommendations for an adapter-cable
> or -card to attach an old, but perfectly printing HP LJ2100 to my new
> machine?

How about the EIO jet card mentioned in the manual for this device?
They should be cheap, used.

An old parallel port on an old pci card should do the
trick, if all you needs is a parallel port.

Some of those old Laserjet printer could be set up across a serial
port, if nothing else works.....

hth,
James

Jm

John Campbell 11-29-2011 06:52 AM

Converter parallel-port to USB
 
On 11/28/2011 07:16 PM, James wrote:


An old parallel port on an old pci card should do the
trick, if all you needs is a parallel port.

Some of those old Laserjet printer could be set up across a serial
port, if nothing else works.....


I'd also check your computer's innards for a parallel port header. My
gigabyte board has several legacy headers, a parallel port is one of them.

Dale 11-29-2011 07:17 AM

Converter parallel-port to USB
 
John Campbell wrote:

On 11/28/2011 07:16 PM, James wrote:


An old parallel port on an old pci card should do the
trick, if all you needs is a parallel port.

Some of those old Laserjet printer could be set up across a serial
port, if nothing else works.....


I'd also check your computer's innards for a parallel port header. My
gigabyte board has several legacy headers, a parallel port is one of
them.





Mine does too. It has a serial port, used for my UPS. I bet it has a
parallel port too, at least one anyway.


Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 11-29-2011 07:26 AM

Converter parallel-port to USB
 
Am 29.11.2011 04:16, schrieb James:
> Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
>
>
>> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3742
>> Does anyone use this USB-adapter-cable:
>> ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port
>
> Unknown. Look in the driver section of building a kernel
> for the supported devices. I have use FTDI usb-serial converters
> without issue.

I think it would be supported via the usblp module, but I also found
info that CUPS doesn't like that. Tried both ways, no success so far.

>> successfully with gentoo?
>>
>> If no, are there any "yes, works" recommendations for an adapter-cable
>> or -card to attach an old, but perfectly printing HP LJ2100 to my new
>> machine?
>
> How about the EIO jet card mentioned in the manual for this device?
> They should be cheap, used.

Good idea, will check that.

> An old parallel port on an old pci card should do the
> trick, if all you needs is a parallel port.

Yep. No old PCI-slot then on the new motherboard ...

> Some of those old Laserjet printer could be set up across a serial
> port, if nothing else works.....

I found something like a PS/2 port under the hood ... might that be the
serial port? Gotta dig up some manuals ...

Thanks, Stefan

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 12-01-2011 11:00 AM

Converter parallel-port to USB
 
Am 29.11.2011 09:26, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

>> How about the EIO jet card mentioned in the manual for this device?
>> They should be cheap, used.

I get one for free from a friend ... hope that works ;-)

Stefan


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.