Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Michael Mol

Default Devs and rice flags (Was: emerge -j, make -j and make -l )

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> Won't file a bug report, though. I have a feeling that my bug report re:
> emerge failure will be marked WONTFIX thanks to the 'ricer special' CFLAGS

The CFLAGS you showed me weren't any more ricer than "-O2
-march=native". (I didn't know that -D_FORTIFY=2 came from gcc)

They wouldn't have a leg to stand on...

--
:wq

Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 28, 2011 10:38 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > Won't file a bug report, though. I have a feeling that my bug report re:

> > emerge failure will be marked WONTFIX thanks to the 'ricer special' CFLAGS

> The CFLAGS you showed me weren't any more ricer than "-O2

> -march=native". (I didn't know that -D_FORTIFY=2 came from gcc)

> They wouldn't have a leg to stand on...

Mine is:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -funsafe-math-optimizations -fexcess-precision=fast"

If you tell me that's not a ricer's CFLAGS, then you've just made me a very happy cat :-)

Rgds,

Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2011 10:38 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>>
>> > Won't file a bug report, though. I have a feeling that my bug report re:
>> > emerge failure will be marked WONTFIX thanks to the 'ricer special'
>> > CFLAGS
>>
>> The CFLAGS you showed me weren't any more ricer than "-O2
>> -march=native". (I didn't know that -D_FORTIFY=2 came from gcc)
>>
>> They wouldn't have a leg to stand on...
>>

> Mine is:
>
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -floop-interchange
> -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -funsafe-math-optimizations
> -fexcess-precision=fast"
>
> If you tell me that's not a ricer's CFLAGS, then you've just made me a very
> happy cat :-)
>
> Rgds,

I wonder if someone in this thread will help me understand the term
'ricer'. The only origin I know of this term, from the car world, is
really pretty racist, so I wonder if there isn't a more genteel origin
I simply cannot find using Google?

- Mark

Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
James Wall

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

>>> The CFLAGS you showed me weren't any more ricer than "-O2
>>> -march=native". (I didn't know that -D_FORTIFY=2 came from gcc)
>>>
>>> They wouldn't have a leg to stand on...
>>>

>> Mine is:
>>
>> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -floop-interchange
>> -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -funsafe-math-optimizations
>> -fexcess-precision=fast"
>>
>> If you tell me that's not a ricer's CFLAGS, then you've just made me a very
>> happy cat :-)
>>
>> Rgds,
>>

> I wonder if someone in this thread will help me understand the term
> 'ricer'. The only origin I know of this term, from the car world, is
> really pretty racist, so I wonder if there isn't a more genteel origin
> I simply cannot find using Google?
>
> - Mark

Ricer is used to refer to someone who wants to have the system tweaked
to the hardware it runs on that it is not like the generic binary
distros like ubuntu that is compiled for the lowest common denominator
like i386 or x86_64.
hope this helps clarify the term,
James Wall

--
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large

Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if someone in this thread will help me understand the term
> 'ricer'. The only origin I know of this term, from the car world, is
> really pretty racist, so I wonder if there isn't a more genteel origin
> I simply cannot find using Google?

No, I think it's the same racist term borrowed from the car
tuning/customizing world.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 28.11.2011 17:54, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> I wonder if someone in this thread will help me understand the term
> 'ricer'. The only origin I know of this term, from the car world, is
> really pretty racist, so I wonder if there isn't a more genteel origin
> I simply cannot find using Google?

Maybe this helps:

http://funroll-loops.info/

Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2011 10:38 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>> > Won't file a bug report, though. I have a feeling that my bug report re:
>> > emerge failure will be marked WONTFIX thanks to the 'ricer special'
>> > CFLAGS
>>
>> The CFLAGS you showed me weren't any more ricer than "-O2
>> -march=native". (I didn't know that -D_FORTIFY=2 came from gcc)
>>
>> They wouldn't have a leg to stand on...
>>

> Mine is:
>
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -floop-interchange
> -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -funsafe-math-optimizations
> -fexcess-precision=fast"
>
> If you tell me that's not a ricer's CFLAGS, then you've just made me a very
> happy cat :-)

No, you've got some ugly flags in there. -fexcess-precision and
-funsafe-math-optimizations, in particular. (I must have been talking
to someone else last week; sorry, I'm terrible with names.)

-fomit-frame-pointer shouldn't cause any headaches unless you're
feeding a gdb stack trace, and you're not adding any debugging data,
so your stack traces would be pretty useless, anyway.

I don't know about -floop-interchange, -floop-strip-mine or
-floop-block. I recognize at least one of them from the discussion of
graphite the other day.

However, if you get a *build-time* error that isn't, e.g. a tool
crashing, then there's not *much* reason to doubt the bug report,
IMHO.

--
:wq

Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 PM