Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default openrc 0.9.4 : opaque warnings

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 17:17, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> Since updating to Openrc 0.9.4 , I'm getting some opaque messages :
>
> (1) When starting eth0 : "You are using a bash array for config_eth0.
> This feature will be removed in the future. *Please see net.example
> for the correct format for config_eth0".

Open /etc/conf.d/net

Compare it with /etc/conf.d/net.example

For example:

The old way of writing multiple addresses for eth0 is:
config_eth0=("1.2.3.4" "6.7.8.9")

The new non-bash-array way: config_eth0="1.2.3.4 <newline> 6.7.8.9"

Make sure you rewrite your conf.d files according to the new way.

> (2) When starting D-BUS system messages: "Use of the opts variable
> is deprecated & will be removed in the future. *Please see extra_commands
> or extra_started_commands".
>
> I've looked in the obvious places in /etc , but see nothing relevant.
> Can anyone explain what these messages mean ?

The relevant initscript in /etc/init.d is still using opts="..." line.

The newer way is to put the words in opts="..." into
extra_commands="..." or extra_started_commands="..." (both parameters
described in man runscript)

You *can* edit the offending initscript, but it should be the
package's maintainers' responsibility to revise the initscript and
release a new revision.

(That said, a new revision *might* have been released, but still
unstable "~arch". Just wait awhile -- say one or two months -- and
update to the fixed new revision).

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

*• LOPSA Member #15248
*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 17:29, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

>> (2) When starting D-BUS system messages: "Use of the opts variable
>> is deprecated & will be removed in the future. *Please see extra_commands
>> or extra_started_commands".
>>
>> I've looked in the obvious places in /etc , but see nothing relevant.
>> Can anyone explain what these messages mean ?
>>

> The relevant initscript in /etc/init.d is still using opts="..." line.
>
> The newer way is to put the words in opts="..." into
> extra_commands="..." or extra_started_commands="..." (both parameters
> described in man runscript)
>
> You *can* edit the offending initscript, but it should be the
> package's maintainers' responsibility to revise the initscript and
> release a new revision.
>
> (That said, a new revision *might* have been released, but still
> unstable "~arch". Just wait awhile -- say one or two months -- and
> update to the fixed new revision).

I have to emphasize that YOU SHOULD NOT EDIT THE INITSCRIPT YOURSELF.

The warning is just that: a warning.

Keep your system up-to-date, and the warning will sooner or later go
away (when the relevant package has been updated by the maintainer).

To see which files still use "opts", enter:

grep "^[[:space:]]*opts=" /etc/init.d/* | cut -d : -f 1 | grep -v ".sh$"

And to see which packages use the offending initscript:

grep "^[[:space:]]*opts=" /etc/init.d/* | cut -d : -f 1 | grep -v
".sh$" | xargs qfile -CSq | uniq

(Both command snippets taken from this post in f.g.o :
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6850360.html#6850360 )

Rgds,

Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:29:26 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Open /etc/conf.d/net
>
> Compare it with /etc/conf.d/net.example

That file should be removed, the elog message states this. The example
file /usr/share/doc/openrc-0.9.4/net.example.

--
Neil Bothwick

I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel...
but it was just some sod with a torch bringing me more work!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 28, 2011 5:53 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:29:26 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > Open /etc/conf.d/net

> > Compare it with /etc/conf.d/net.example

> That file should be removed, the elog message states this. The example

> file /usr/share/doc/openrc-0.9.4/net.example.

Whoa, you're right!

Gee, how old is OP's system, I wonder?

Rgds,

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Mick

On Monday 28 Nov 2011 11:50:30 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2011 5:53 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:29:26 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > > Open /etc/conf.d/net
> > >
> > > Compare it with /etc/conf.d/net.example
> >
> > That file should be removed, the elog message states this. The example
> > file /usr/share/doc/openrc-0.9.4/net.example.
>
> Whoa, you're right!
>
> Gee, how old is OP's system, I wonder?

I update regularly and just got the same message. I wonder why didn't the dev
create a symlink from the /etc/conf.d/net.example -> /usr/share/doc/openrc-
<latest_version>/net.example to save a need for the enotice?
Mick

Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Dale

Mick wrote:

That file should be removed, the elog message states this. The example
file /usr/share/doc/openrc-0.9.4/net.example.

Whoa, you're right!

Gee, how old is OP's system, I wonder?

I update regularly and just got the same message. I wonder why didn't the dev
create a symlink from the /etc/conf.d/net.example -> /usr/share/doc/openrc-
<latest_version>/net.example to save a need for the enotice?

I used to symlink mine myself but when it changes versions, the link
breaks. Now I just use equery f to find the dang thing. I do wish they
would put net.example where the net file goes. Lots easier to find.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:35:02 -0600, Dale wrote:

> > I update regularly and just got the same message. I wonder why
> > didn't the dev create a symlink from the /etc/conf.d/net.example
> > -> /usr/share/doc/openrc- <latest_version>/net.example to save a
> > need for the enotice?

Because that would mean removing the existing file, which is in a
CONFIG_PROTECTed directory.

> I used to symlink mine myself but when it changes versions, the link
> breaks. Now I just use equery f to find the dang thing. I do wish
> they would put net.example where the net file goes. Lots easier to
> find.

Set DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR in make.conf to save having to chase documentation
when version numbers change.

--
Neil Bothwick

STATUS QUO is Latin for "the mess we're in."

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 29, 2011 8:51 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:35:02 -0600, Dale wrote:

> > > I update regularly and just got the same message. *I wonder why

> > > didn't the dev create a symlink from the /etc/conf.d/net.example

> > > -> */usr/share/doc/openrc- <latest_version>/net.example to save a

> > > need for the enotice?

> Because that would mean removing the existing file, which is in a

> CONFIG_PROTECTed directory.

Makes sense.

> > I used to symlink mine myself but when it changes versions, the link

> > breaks. *Now I just use equery f to find the dang thing. *I do wish

> > they would put net.example where the net file goes. *Lots easier to

> > find.

> Set DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR in make.conf to save having to chase documentation

> when version numbers change.

Ahhhh... never knew that before...

*scurries to set said setting

Rgds,

Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Dale

wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:35:02 -0600, Dale wrote:

> > > I update regularly and just got the same message.
*I wonder why

> > > didn't the dev create a symlink from the
/etc/conf.d/net.example

> > > -> */usr/share/doc/openrc-
<latest_version>/net.example to save a

> > > need for the enotice?

> Because that would mean removing the existing file, which
is in a

> CONFIG_PROTECTed directory.

Makes sense.

> > I used to symlink mine myself but when it changes
versions, the link

> > breaks. *Now I just use equery f to find the dang
thing. *I do wish

> > they would put net.example where the net file goes.
*Lots easier to

> > find.

> Set DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR in make.conf to save having to chase
documentation

> when version numbers change.

Ahhhh... never knew that before...

*scurries to set said setting

Rgds,

I set mine to this:

DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR="/etc/config_examples/"

I created the directory so that it won't clutter up everything
else.*

That work you think?

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Dale

wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:35:02 -0600, Dale wrote:

> > > I update regularly and just got the same
message. *I wonder why

> > > didn't the dev create a symlink from the
/etc/conf.d/net.example

> > > -> */usr/share/doc/openrc-
<latest_version>/net.example to save a

> > > need for the enotice?

> Because that would mean removing the existing file, which
is in a

> CONFIG_PROTECTed directory.

Makes sense.

> > I used to symlink mine myself but when it changes
versions, the link

> > breaks. *Now I just use equery f to find the dang
thing. *I do wish

> > they would put net.example where the net file goes.
*Lots easier to

> > find.

> Set DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR in make.conf to save having to chase
documentation

> when version numbers change.

Ahhhh... never knew that before...

*scurries to set said setting

Rgds,

I set mine to this:

DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR="/etc/config_examples/"

I created the directory so that it won't clutter up everything
else.*

That work you think?

Dale

:-)* :-)*

I did a emerge -e system and it puts some files in there but not the
ones I had hoped for.* The one I really liked was openssl.* It opens
to a picture and that's all.* No text or anything.* The picture is a
link but if you are having network issues, well, then what?

Is there a way to do this for the stuff that is not HTML?* You know,
make.conf.example, net.example and other friends like that.*

Dale

:-)* :-)*