Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default USB Drive Mount

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:08:10 -0500
sean <tech.junk@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> I have two 500GB USB drives that my Gentoo system here will not read.
> Both these drives are fat formatted.
>
> The tail of DMESG, the entries actually go on for a long long time,
> has the following report for either of those two drives,
> [ 6027.085508] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: detected XactErr len 0/8 retry
> 29 [ 6027.085636] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: detected XactErr len 0/8
> retry 30 [ 6027.085760] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: detected XactErr len
> 0/8 retry 31 [ 6027.085885] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: devpath 3 ep0in
> 3strikes [ 6027.136031] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: GetStatus port:3
> status 001002 0 ACK POWER sig=se0 CSC
> [ 6027.136052] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
> [ 6027.136062] hub 1-0:1.0: state 7 ports 5 chg 0000 evt 0008
>
> Both these fat formatted drives are easily read on several other
> systems running Windows or MAC OS X.
>
> The Gentoo system will read small usb memory sticks up to 16 GB fat
> formatted.
> The Gentoo system will also read a 750 GB NTFS drive without problems.
>
> Is anyone able to point me in the direction to figure out why the fat
> usb drives will not be read by the Gentoo system?

This post

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/48758

implies possible hardware errors (you seem to have protocol errors on
the USB bus).

Before proceeding further, I'd try a few more tests to narrow down the
circumstances that produce the errors.

What results do you get if you plug the drives into different USB
controllers/ports on the gentoo system?

Can you test if they work with a different kernel version (higher and
lower than the current one in use)?

What kind of drives are these? Are you plugging USB3 drives into USB2
ports for example?

If you are really lucky you might have free space on a drive you can
run mkfs.vfat on and see if that works.

The results of these simple tests stand a good chance of pointing us in
the right direction for the next step.
--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:08:10 -0500
> sean <tech.junk@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>
>> I have two 500GB USB drives that my Gentoo system here will not read.
>> Both these drives are fat formatted.
>>
>> The tail of DMESG, the entries actually go on for a long long time,
>> has the following report for either of those two drives,
>> [ 6027.085508] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: detected XactErr len 0/8 retry
>> 29 [ 6027.085636] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: detected XactErr len 0/8
>> retry 30 [ 6027.085760] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: detected XactErr len
>> 0/8 retry 31 [ 6027.085885] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: devpath 3 ep0in
>> 3strikes [ 6027.136031] ehci_hcd 0000:01:0a.2: GetStatus port:3
>> status 001002 0 ACK POWER sig=se0 CSC
>> [ 6027.136052] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
>> [ 6027.136062] hub 1-0:1.0: state 7 ports 5 chg 0000 evt 0008
>>
>> Both these fat formatted drives are easily read on several other
>> systems running Windows or MAC OS X.
>>
>> The Gentoo system will read small usb memory sticks up to 16 GB fat
>> formatted.
>> The Gentoo system will also read a 750 GB NTFS drive without problems.
>>
>> Is anyone able to point me in the direction to figure out why the fat
>> usb drives will not be read by the Gentoo system?
>
> This post
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/48758
>
> implies possible hardware errors (you seem to have protocol errors on
> the USB bus).
>
> Before proceeding further, I'd try a few more tests to narrow down the
> circumstances that produce the errors.
>
> What results do you get if you plug the drives into different USB
> controllers/ports on the gentoo system?
>
> Can you test if they work with a different kernel version (higher and
> lower than the current one in use)?
>
> What kind of drives are these? Are you plugging USB3 drives into USB2
> ports for example?
>
> If you are really lucky you might have free space on a drive you can
> run mkfs.vfat on and see if that works.
>
> The results of these simple tests stand a good chance of pointing us in
> the right direction for the next step.
> --
> Alan McKinnnon
> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

I have something like 10 USB drives here at home. 9 of those drives
works perfectly in 5 machines in the house. 1 drive works when
attached to 4 of the machines but produces a similar error when
attached to my most expensive i7-980x machine.

I've never determined what causes it and have sort of decided it's
just some weird incompatibility...

- Mark

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 PM
sean

I have something like 10 USB drives here at home. 9 of those drives
works perfectly in 5 machines in the house. 1 drive works when
attached to 4 of the machines but produces a similar error when
attached to my most expensive i7-980x machine.

I've never determined what causes it and have sort of decided it's
just some weird incompatibility...

- Mark

Mark,

I swapped to a very short USB cable to connect the drives to my system.
It cured the problem here.

Sean

Old 11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM, sean <tech.junk@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 04:02 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>> I have something like 10 USB drives here at home. 9 of those drives
>> works perfectly in 5 machines in the house. 1 drive works when
>> attached to 4 of the machines but produces a similar error when
>> attached to my most expensive i7-980x machine.
>>
>> I've never determined what causes it and have sort of decided it's
>> just some weird incompatibility...
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> Mark,
>
> * * * *I swapped to a very short USB cable to connect the drives to my
> system. It cured the problem here.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *Sean

That's good news. Is that the external USB cable or something inside a
drive case?

I'd suspect something like a slightly suspect USB controller
somewhere. Changing the cable probably shifted the electrical
parameters on the cable just enough that it started working.

I should give that a try here and see if I get so lucky!

Cheers,
Mark

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
sean

On Nov 30, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> That's good news. Is that the external USB cable or something inside a
> drive case?
>
> I'd suspect something like a slightly suspect USB controller
> somewhere. Changing the cable probably shifted the electrical
> parameters on the cable just enough that it started working.
>
> I should give that a try here and see if I get so lucky!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

The external USB cable.

Sean