Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Michael Mol

Default ImageMagick

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Colleen Beamer
<colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used to use ImageMagick to quickly resize images and convert from one
> format to another (jpg to png, for example). *ImageMagick is installed
> on my system (installed as requirement of something else), but I'm
> darned if I can find an executable to run the program. *There used to be
> one in /usr/bin on my old system.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

equery f imagemagick|grep bin

?

--
:wq

Old 11-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Hi Colleen,

Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011, 16:08:41 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
> Hi all,
>
> I used to use ImageMagick to quickly resize images and convert from one
> format to another (jpg to png, for example). ImageMagick is installed
> on my system (installed as requirement of something else), but I'm
> darned if I can find an executable to run the program. There used to be
> one in /usr/bin on my old system.
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

yes It's /usr/bin/convert

> Regards,
> Colleen

Best,
Michael

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Colleen Beamer

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011, 17:04:24 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
> On 11/27/11 15:18, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Hi Colleen,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011, 16:08:41 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I used to use ImageMagick to quickly resize images and convert from
> >> one
> >> format to another (jpg to png, for example). ImageMagick is installed
> >> on my system (installed as requirement of something else), but I'm
> >> darned if I can find an executable to run the program. There used to
> >> be
> >> one in /usr/bin on my old system.
> >> Does anyone have any experience with this?
> >
> > yes It's /usr/bin/convert
>
> This isn't quite what I wanted - you have to add options to the
> command. I was hoping to get the graphical interface that I had
> before. Please don't tell me they took a great little program and
> screwed it up! :-)

ImageMagick has no gui-frontend and it never had. It's a library for image
manipulation and a collection of CLI-programs for the same task.
I have no idea what you used before, but it wasn't part of ImageMagick.

> Colleen

Best,
Michael

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Colleen Beamer
<colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/11 15:18, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
>> Hi Colleen,
>> Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011, 16:08:41 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
>>> Does anyone have any experience with this?
>>
>> yes It's /usr/bin/convert
>
> This isn't quite what I wanted - you have to add options to the command.* I
> was hoping to get the graphical interface that I had before.* Please don't
> tell me they took a great little program and screwed it up!* :-)

A GUI interface specifically for imagemagick is news to me;
imagemagick has always been a cli program. I don't see any reference
to a GUI among its USE flags, either. Perhaps you were using some
other program which acted as a front-end? Have you done a --depclean
which may have removed that?

Incidentally, if you want to retain a package, you really should
select it for your @world set; otherwise, a depclean could pull it out
from under you.

--
:wq

Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011, 17:04:24 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
> On 11/27/11 15:18, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Hi Colleen,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011, 16:08:41 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I used to use ImageMagick to quickly resize images and convert from
> >> one
> >> format to another (jpg to png, for example). ImageMagick is installed
> >> on my system (installed as requirement of something else), but I'm
> >> darned if I can find an executable to run the program. There used to
> >> be
> >> one in /usr/bin on my old system.
> >> Does anyone have any experience with this?
> >
> > yes It's /usr/bin/convert
>
> This isn't quite what I wanted - you have to add options to the
> command. I was hoping to get the graphical interface that I had
> before. Please don't tell me they took a great little program and
> screwed it up! :-)

is /usr/bin/display the program you were looking for?
It supports a subset of ImageMagick's functionality.

> Colleen

Best,
Michael

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Colleen Beamer

Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Dale

Colleen Beamer wrote:

Oh, yes, it was!* :-)* There used to be a command in /usr/bin
named imagemagick and if you launched it, it brought up an
interface with menus/buttons that you could click on.* Granted, I
haven't used it in quite a while.* However, I used to use it all
the time to scale graphics when I was writing the handbook for
krecipes and convert images from jpeg to png.

Regards,

Colleen

I searched for that command, I can't find it or any reference to it
having any GUI at all.* According to the wiki:

"The software mainly consists of a number of command-line interface
utilities for manipulating images. ImageMagick does *not* have a GUI-based interface to edit
images, as do Adobe Photoshop and GIMP,
but instead modifies existing images as directed by various
command-line parameters. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick

I also can't find anything on their website about a GUI either.*
There are front ends to it tho.* This from the imagemagick website:

"The functionality of ImageMagick is typically utilized from the
command line or you can use the features from programs written in
your favorite language. Choose from these interfaces: G2F
(Ada), MagickCore
(C), MagickWand
(C), ChMagick
(Ch), ImageMagickObject
(COM+), Magick++
(C++), JMagick
(Java), L-Magick
(Lisp), NMagick
(Neko/haXe), MagickNet
(.NET), PascalMagick
(Pascal), PerlMagick
(Perl), MagickWand
for PHP (PHP), IMagick
(PHP), PythonMagick
(Python), RMagick
(Ruby), or TclMagick
(Tcl/TK). With a language interface, use ImageMagick to modify or
create images dynamically and automagically."

I'm not sure if any of those are GUI tho.*

Maybe whatever distro you were using sort of played a name game with
the command?* The command was named imagemagick but was actually
pointing to something else that had a GUI and was a front end for
it.*

Krecipe huh?* Installing it now.* I like to cook and eat.* lol

Dale

:-)* :-)

Old 11-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Colleen Beamer

Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 11/27/11 16:22, Michael Mol wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:04
PM, Colleen Beamer

> <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 11/27/11 15:18, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

>>> Hi Colleen,

>>> Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011, 16:08:41 schrieb
Colleen Beamer:

>>> yes It's /usr/bin/convert

>> This isn't quite what I wanted - you have to add options
to the command. I

>> was hoping to get the graphical interface that I had
before. Please don't

>> tell me they took a great little program and screwed it
up! :-)

> A GUI interface specifically for imagemagick is news to me;

> imagemagick has always been a cli program. I don't see any
reference

> to a GUI among its USE flags, either. Perhaps you were using
some

> other program which acted as a front-end? Have you done a
--depclean

> which may have removed that?

> Incidentally, if you want to retain a package, you really
should

> select it for your @world set; otherwise, a depclean could
pull it out

> from under you.

Haven't done a depclean.* This is a reasonable new computer.*
Haven't used ImageMagick in quite a while (way before I got this new
computer) and granted, it wasn't a gui that automatically got added
to your kmenu, but I created an icon for and for the command, I used
/usr/bin/imagemagick.* I recall at one point that if I used the
command imagemagick, it would launch some other interface (can't
remember which one) and I had to create a symlink named magick which
linked to /usr/bin/imagemagick.* I have tons of graphics that I
resized and converted to png from jpegs, but unfortunately, the
don't say that I used imagemagick to alter them.