Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Harry Putnam

Default Any vbox made gentoo vm appliances available for dload

Creating a gentoo vm has always been a serious pita to me. I'm sure
there will be those who claim its `simple'.

Simple or not, I want to bypass it if possible.

So wondering if anyone here has (or has seen) a gentoo (vbox)
appliance available for download?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Creating a gentoo vm has always been a serious pita to me. *I'm sure
> there will be those who claim its `simple'.
>
> Simple or not, I want to bypass it if possible.
>
> So wondering if anyone here has (or has seen) a gentoo (vbox)
> appliance available for download?

They are out there but my experience is they are generally sort of old
and unmaintained. Being a Gentoo user you know a Gentoo machine with
no updates for a year is almost useless in terms of moving forward.

Anyway, here's one I found in Google:

http://virtualboxes.org/images/gentoo/

HTH,
Mark

Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
James Wall

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Creating a gentoo vm has always been a serious pita to me. *I'm sure
> there will be those who claim its `simple'.
>
> Simple or not, I want to bypass it if possible.
>
> So wondering if anyone here has (or has seen) a gentoo (vbox)
> appliance available for download?

From an earlier thread about virtual machine images the link is here:
the thread is titled [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/base.vmdk

--
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large

Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 AM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 17:01 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Creating a gentoo vm has always been a serious pita to me. I'm sure
> there will be those who claim its `simple'.
>
> Simple or not, I want to bypass it if possible.
>
> So wondering if anyone here has (or has seen) a gentoo (vbox)
> appliance available for download?

I maintain a quasi-daily build of a gentoo virtual appliance. It should
work with kvm, vmware, and virutalbox (and possibly xen?).

The list of packages installed are:

http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/base-dist-package.lst

The image is at:

http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/base-dist.vmdk.bz2

It's a vmdk but I'm told it works with vbox.

This is just a minimal Gentoo install, I have specialized appliances as
well.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Vishnupradeep

Albert W. Hopkins,*is that 64bit or 32bit ?

----Linux Blog:*http://xtreme-linux.blogspot.com/Fedora Blog:*http://xtreme-fedora.blogspot.com/

My Blog:*http://sharedonweb.blogspot.com/

Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Vishnupradeep

Need login details.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Harry Putnam

"Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@letterboxes.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 17:01 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Creating a gentoo vm has always been a serious pita to me. I'm sure
>> there will be those who claim its `simple'.
>>
>> Simple or not, I want to bypass it if possible.
>>
>> So wondering if anyone here has (or has seen) a gentoo (vbox)
>> appliance available for download?
>>

> I maintain a quasi-daily build of a gentoo virtual appliance. It should
> work with kvm, vmware, and virutalbox (and possibly xen?).

Albert, I cloned your hg repo and tried to build from it, but it fails
at downloading gentoo-sources. Something about not being able to
resolve the kernel URLS.

I suspect it is a problem in the ebuild itself, but I was not able to
find where `portage' is on disc during that build. I wanted to
attempt editing the ebuild but even with variable:
REMOVE_PORTAGE_TREE NO
I never find a `portage' directory.

Once the build fails, their is no `portage' directory containing the
tree.

In virtual-appliance:

find . -type d -name 'portage'
./vabuild/var/lib/portage
./vabuild/var/log/portage
./vabuild/var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage
./vabuild/usr/lib/portage
./vabuild/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage

None of those contain the tree.

Here is tail of `sudo make'

,----
| Resolving www.fr.kernel.org... failed: Name or service not known.
| wget: unable to resolve host address “www.fr.kernel.org”
| --2011-11-27 04:24:43-- http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.1.tar.bz2
| Resolving www.us.kernel.org... failed: Name or service not known.
| wget: unable to resolve host address “www.us.kernel.org”
| !!! Couldn't download 'linux-3.1.tar.bz2'. Aborting.
| * Fetch failed for 'sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.1.1', Log file:
| * '/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.1.1/temp/build.log'
|
| * Messages for package sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.1.1:
|
| * Fetch failed for 'sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.1.1', Log file:
| * '/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.1.1/temp/build.log'
`----

I cannot ping any of those kernel urls. But kernel.org appears up

ping kernel.org
PING kernel.org (149.20.4.69) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from pub2.kernel.org (149.20.4.69): icmp_req=1 ttl=55 time=87.5 ms

ls vabuild/var/tmp/
<empty>
Apparently umounted or rm'd

How to keep working portage tree accessible.

I monkeyed around with your Makefile but couldn't follow it well
enough to stop the umounting.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Harry Putnam

James Wall <wallservices@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Creating a gentoo vm has always been a serious pita to me. *I'm sure
>> there will be those who claim its `simple'.
>>
>> Simple or not, I want to bypass it if possible.
>>
>> So wondering if anyone here has (or has seen) a gentoo (vbox)
>> appliance available for download?
>>

> From an earlier thread about virtual machine images the link is here:
> the thread is titled [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
> http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/base.vmdk

That 404s for me.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Harry Putnam

"Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@letterboxes.org> writes:

> This is just a minimal Gentoo install, I have specialized appliances as
> well.

where?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 08:48 +0530, Vishnupradeep wrote:
> Albert W. Hopkins, is that 64bit or 32bit ?

It si 64-bit. Though conceivably the build process could build 32-bit
appliances, I haven't yet tried it.