Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Paul Colquhoun

Default Install problem - SATA CD-ROM drive (SOLVED)

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:29:16 PM Dale wrote:
> Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> >> AFAIK most (all) modern computers that have CDROM drives are SATA, at
> >> least the one i bought a couple of years ago does.. so I'm wondering
> >> if
> >> your problem is not that you have a SATA CDROM but something else.
> >>
> >> Have you tried boot media other than the Gentoo livecd?
> >
> > Actually I had tried 4 boot media *other* *than* the Gentoo livecd, for
> > the simple reason that I thought they had stopped making them!
> >
> > Stupid me.
> >
> > Looking at the Gentoo download page, they have an AMD64 minimal install
> > CD image created just days ago.
> >
> > The Gentoo livecd works! I should have looked there first and saved
> > myself a lot of trouble (and 4 blank CDs!).
>
> Could it be something in the BIOS maybe? My rig that I built last year
> has a SATA CD/DVD burner and it boots Gentoo CDs, Knoppix, systemrescue
> and another that I can't recall. Knotix (?) or something. It should
> work. You may want to try systemrescue if you haven't already. I'd
> figure this out before something happens and you have to boot something
> to fix it.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

It may be something in the BIOS, but I didn't change anything between the
other livecds NOT working, and the Gentoo one working, so the Gentoo livecd
seems to have done something different.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Rod

Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:28:50 PM Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 11:01 +1100, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
>>> Some research tells me that this is a problem with SATA CD-ROMs,
and

>>> needs a
>>> kernel configured with the libata module option atapi_enabled=1
>>>
>>> Does anybody know of a Live CD that will work with a SATA CD
drive?

>> AFAIK most (all) modern computers that have CDROM drives are
SATA, at
>> least the one i bought a couple of years ago does.. so I'm
wondering

>> if
>> your problem is not that you have a SATA CDROM but something
else.

>> Have you tried boot media other than the Gentoo livecd?
>
> Actually I had tried 4 boot media *other* *than* the Gentoo
livecd, for

> the simple reason that I thought they had stopped making them!
>
> Stupid me.
>
> Looking at the Gentoo download page, they have an AMD64 minimal
install

> CD image created just days ago.
>
> The Gentoo livecd works! I should have looked there first and
saved

> myself a lot of trouble (and 4 blank CDs!).

Could it be something in the BIOS maybe? My rig that I built last
year
has a SATA CD/DVD burner and it boots Gentoo CDs, Knoppix,
systemrescue
and another that I can't recall. Knotix (?) or something. It
should

work. You may want to try systemrescue if you haven't already. I'd
figure this out before something happens and you have to boot
something

to fix it.

Dale

:-) :-)

It may be something in the BIOS, but I didn't change anything between
the
other livecds NOT working, and the Gentoo one working, so the Gentoo
livecd

seems to have done something different.

I have been running SATA-DVD drive (ok not CD) for a few years with no
problems with reading or writing from either Gentoo-Linux or Windoze