Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM
walt

Default gnome 3 has landed

Well, at least on ~x86 and ~amd64 gnome3 is the default now. I have
mixed feelings about gnome3, so I let gentoo install it on a VirtualBox
VM to start with and I'll think about updating my real machines later.

The new gnome-shell is the controversial piece of gnome3 and (so far)
I find it counterproductive.

I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up. (The gnome-
shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
applets.)

If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
function in System Settings. Click the Graphics icon and enable the
gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell. Ah, much better

Old 11-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Vishnupradeep

Is that true, Gnome 3 available for gentoo. can i emerge it ?
----Fedora Blog:*http://xtreme-fedora.blogspot.com/

My Blog:*http://sharedonweb.blogspot.com/

Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Remy Blank

Vishnupradeep wrote:
> Is that true, Gnome 3 available for gentoo. can i emerge it ?

You know, you don't need to ask us for permission

-- Remy

Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2011-11-26 21:07, schrieb walt:

> The new gnome-shell is the controversial piece of gnome3 and (so far)
> I find it counterproductive.
>
> I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
> along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up. (The gnome-
> shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
> applets.)
>
> If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
> function in System Settings. Click the Graphics icon and enable the
> gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell. Ah, much better

Let me get this straight: if I want to somehow stay in the world of
gnome-2.32 (panels, desktop, etc) I could simply avoid masking any of
the new stuff and use the mentioned gnome-fallback-setting?

I also hesitate to leave my comfort zone ... ;-) (and I am on ~amd64 as
well).

Thanks, Stefan

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2011-11-26 22:56, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Let me get this straight: if I want to somehow stay in the world of
> gnome-2.32 (panels, desktop, etc) I could simply avoid masking any of
> the new stuff and use the mentioned gnome-fallback-setting?
>
> I also hesitate to leave my comfort zone ... ;-) (and I am on ~amd64 as
> well).

I think I will keep on masking ...

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3-fallback.html for example
tells me there are no applets, no desktop-behavior that I am used to.

Right now I use some package.mask-list from a posting in the
gentoo-forums .... I'd be happy if the maintainers would provide us with
a way to easily chose to stay w/ <gnome-3 somehow (without maintaining a
long list of packages to mask).

Stefan

Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Vishnupradeep <intermedia.vishnu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is that true, Gnome 3 available for gentoo. can i emerge it ?
>
> ----
> Fedora Blog: http://xtreme-fedora.blogspot.com/
> My Blog: http://sharedonweb.blogspot.com/
>

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 1:37 AM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, at least on ~x86 and ~amd64 gnome3 is the default now. I have
> > mixed feelings about gnome3, so I let gentoo install it on a VirtualBox
> > VM to start with and I'll think about updating my real machines later.
> >
> > The new gnome-shell is the controversial piece of gnome3 and (so far)
> > I find it counterproductive.
> >
> > I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
> > along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up. (The gnome-
> > shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
> > applets.)
> >
> > If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
> > function in System Settings. Click the Graphics icon and enable the
> > gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell. Ah, much better

What do I have to mask to prevent this for the time being?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com